PDA

View Full Version : Are there any 4th Edition adventures available? Plus other questions.

Ham08
January 24th, 2009, 22:43
Hello!

I just bought $240.00 worth of D&D 4E books, adventures, and accessories including the DMG, PHB, MM, H1, H2, H3, DM screen, character sheets, and the D&D premium dice. I also bought 1 Full and 1 Lite version of Fantasy Grounds II, but the problem is this: I am not interested in typing the entire H1, H2, and H3 adventures into FGII if that could, in any way, be avoided (that's too much work). In addtion, I could not find miniatures that were appropriate to those three adventures, so that is one of the major reasons why I bought FGII. Regardless, I am all set to play! I just need to get the content problem worked out and master the FGII program before I start hosting a campaign. Please note: I will buy more copies of the Lite version in the future if I can get this content problem worked out.

With that in mind, I was wondering where I can obtain some 4E adventures that were made specifically for FGII (I found the link to a 4E rulset at fouruglymonsters through this forum). They don't have to be extensive adventures, just something that uses all of FGII functionality in proper working order, so I can get started. Please Note: The foundation adventure combat tracker doesn't work with the prepackaged ruleset, for some reason.

Another solution would be if I could obtain digital copies of the D&D books that I purchased. With a digital copy, I could copy and paste flavor text and use the search function of a PDF reader to speed up answering player questions, so that's why I am asking where they can be obtained. I would like to be able to keep track of everything on my computer, including all the books, campaign progress, character spread sheets, and etc. If you need me to supply proof of ownership of these books, I can easily supply any information you need, be it photographs, store receipts, registration numbers, or whatever.

Thank you for your quick reply! Cheers!

Hamarabi

P.S. I loved the video tutorials made by Xorne! Very well done, indeed! I hope he does more of them in the future.

Griogre
January 25th, 2009, 01:18
Generally speaking there are no 4E adventures available because WotC still has not worked out a third party license. Goodman Games is releasing 4E compatible adventures though, and they are about half the cost of the WotC modules. They are very similar to their Dungeon Crawl Classic 3.5 modules. You can buy them at RPGNow as PDFs - which are fairly easy to input into FG: https://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=4581

Personally, if I know I am going to run a game with FG I don't buy paper copies of a module I get the PDF because of all the reasons you mentioned for input.

Ham08
January 25th, 2009, 23:43
Thank you for the reply, Griogre!

Bummer about not having any 4E adventures available for FG2 (that would have been too easy. LOL). It is also a shame that I would be forced to buy digitial copies of books I already own, if I want the convenience of cut and paste for FG2 ( I thought they would be free, if you could prove ownership of the hard copies). Oh well, I guess I'll just type everying in by hand.

Thanks again for the reply!

Cheers!

Valarian
January 26th, 2009, 12:09
You only really need to type in the lengthier descriptions that you'd hand out to the players. It depends on your typing speed I suppose, but I've run adventures with a scrawled sheet of A4 containing a scenario outline.

Griogre
January 26th, 2009, 17:49
Like Valarian says, there is no reason you can't run a game with a module open next to you. When you have the module open next to the keyboard all you really need to input into FG are maps and monsters to take advantage of FG's (and the 4E ruleset's) strengths. Strictly speaking all you really need are the monsters because you could sketch the map on a blank gridded map with the map tool as they explored – but it usually doesn’t take that long to scan a map and clean it up.

I have a paper copy of H1. The first thing I did was input the maps and I used the large maps not the encounter ones. I scanned it in, cleaned off any DM info, then resized the map so the squares on it were 18x18, sepiaed the map, then set it to 4 bit color. So my map for the first level of the dungeon ended up 1105x966 and as a png was 463K. The 463K is bigger than I would like but I knew I was going to be able to preload it (since it would not be the first map used) and it was the biggest of the maps.

After that I input the first few encounter's monsters. For this module I really did input by hand a lot of the first encounter's monsters. If you were going to buy one book again as a PDF, for a DM, I would recommend you just get the MM so you can use Tenian's parser on it.

The monsters and maps are the minimal you need. With the 4E ruleset I went ahead and did the monster encounters – they are very fast to do, just drag and drop form the personality list, and they save time an annoyance when loading monsters into the combat tracker.

After that I just add a few more things if I have time: I’ll add the read aloud to each encounter so I can drag and drop it into chat. If I have more time I’ll add magic items.

Edit: I forgot to mention Fiery Dragon did a free set of counters for H1 - if you like this style they make great tokens: https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=56039&filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=14

Ham08
January 28th, 2009, 02:27
Sorry about not getting back to this thread until now. I was spending time with Tenian's parser as per Griogre's suggestion and it took a while to learn the mechanics well enough to produce some sort of coherent output. Since I spent so much time working out exactly how the information needed to be prepared before using the parser, I decided I could contribute to the FG2 and FUM community by writing a basic tutorial. It was my hope that providing a short walkthrough, other folks wouldn't have to spend so much time learning to use the parser and could get on with their adventures.

I posted the tutorial on the FUM website in the D&D 4th Edition FG Development (https://fouruglymonsters.com/index.php?option=com_groupjive&task=showgroup&groupid=20) group forum.

Of course, I made a few mistakes in the tutorial, and I am glad that Tenian spent the time to point those mistakes out. I plan to edit the tutorial to correct the mistakes tonight.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I appreciate the effort it took to reply!

Cheers!