PDA

View Full Version : Avegost (D&D 3.5)

Alyais
January 23rd, 2009, 23:37
Greetings Potential Player!,

For the past two years I have run campaigns based in and around a campaign setting that I have created and that my players have molded with their actions and reactions. I have deep, rich (yet unfinished!) history and cultures and as a student of anthropology the development of cultures and languages is of particular interest to me. To enhance our game play we use a voice over internet protocol program called Ventrilo. Using Ventrilo we coordinate combat, discuss our situations, and sometimes roleplay. I own and operate my own server which hosts Ventrilo in addition to downloadable content for my world (such as campaign setting handbooks). In addition my players and I are currently working on a wiki which is unique to my world.

I am currently running a campaign on Monday nights following a "main" storyline. I also run a group locally on Wednesdays here in Savannah, Georgia and am considering running a game on Sundays though significantly more sporadically. The Monday Campaign operates solely on Mondays from 6:00 P.M until 12:00. The group currently has 5 players. One of our players will be leaving due to scheduling conflicts. The campaign is heavily story and roleplay based. We utilize forum role playing, forum feedback, forum role player voting (for awards such as best roleplayer of the event) and general forums for chatting and discussion.

We also utilize the forums heavily and "in between" event role play is a big part of the storyline. I've included addition information in the form of a FAQ below. Last time I posted here I didn't include enough information I was told.

Can I Play?
My players and I are looking for one, with the possibility of two, new players for our Monday night game. This players should meet these requisites.

Can play on Mondays from 6:00 P.M to 12:00 A.M EST..
Experience in role playing, as well as enjoying doing it.
Knowledge of 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons.
Willing to commit time throughout the week for forum activity.
Willing to learn the culture, lore, and history of a home brew Campaign Setting.
Has and is proficient with fantasy grounds.
Will get or has Ventrilo (which is free).
Has a good attitude and wants his fellow players to enjoy their time.

Who Are You?
My name is Joe Landolfi. I am an experienced DM and story teller. I have played Dungeons and Dragons since the seventh grade and am now a Sophomore in college studying Archeology and Anthropology. I've Larped, I am an SCA member, I have played D&D 3.0 and 3.5 for many years. I develop rich story lines and typically run low magic campaigns that sit about two notches upwards in difficulty. This creates an immersible world with a lot of history, information, and challenge.

What is Avegost?
Over the past several years Avegost has had several forms. I started Avegost about six years ago as a text based roleplaying game on a forum. During the time, forums such as Ayenee.com were quite large but were primarily freeform RP. I had been playing D&D now already and wanted to see the rule structure translated.

After moving to Georgia last year for college I began Avegost as a way for my group back home in Michigan to play consistently. We used the Neverwinter Night's video game and my expertise in both coding and the tool set helped to create a believable world. The party fluctuated and over time players came and went but the campaign stayed solid.

Last May my group stumbled across fantasy grounds and I immediately latched onto it. Fantasy Grounds is everything my group could want for their D&D games and so far it has worked well. I currently run two campaigns based in the 'Avegost' setting, which is a homebrew I have been working on for many years.

Do you have a website?

You can visit my website at; www.Avegost.com. You can also see videos that my players and I have made about my game (when we used Neverwinter Nights instead of Fantasy Grounds as a medium) here. (https://www.youtube.com/user/Alyais) You can see the Campaign Teaser/Trailer for the Monday Campaign here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUQ5LMC4Sk)

Anything else I should know?
Avegost isn't just my campaign setting it is my family and friends. My players and I play online games together in addition to our weekly D&D. We discuss house rules and politics. Overall you should know that we're a serious bunch of gamers who are looking for a friendly addition. We want someone who will put themselves in the action; not stagnate and only show up on Mondays.

I'm Interested, What Should I do?
You can e-mail me at Alyais at Gmail dot com if you're interested. Applying players should include in their e-mail their name, background, and possibly mention any conflicts (roleplaying, scheduling, whatever) and a short story. Tell me a brief story about one of your D&D experiences as a player or Dungeon Master. I'll post your e-mail on my forums for my players and I to discuss.

Again, applicants not greatly interested in a game requiring commitment need not apply.

Thank you.
-Joe Landolfi

Aside: As an Aside to forum moderators I did indeed post two of these a while back, though with significant differences. I apologize for the triple post but wanted to have the initial post be unique to my current predicament. If this is an issue please forgive me.

Alyais
January 23rd, 2009, 23:42
Potential Player Questions

Question: What are your character generation options?
Answer: Our rules for Character Creation ability scores are to roll 4d6 and drop the lowest. The maximum you can therefore have is 18 and the lowest is 3 (not accounting for racial modifiers). Players may “reroll” one OR all of their stats up to 3 times though each “reroll” will incur a -2 on the highest roll. So if I roll a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 on a reroll my 6 would become a 4. If on my NEXT reroll I roll a 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 then my 11 would become a 9 and my 10 would become an 8. To offset this, players may give themselves a +2 bonus to any –single- ability score that they feel best represents their character. This is a “hero bonus” and therefore doesn’t have to be your classes’ most important ability score. Rather, it should reflect what you feel is your character’s strongest trait.

An Avegost Player’s Handbook has been made to answer many questions of this sort and a docket for this specific campaign within my world titled; “The Coming of the Dragons” is also available. These documents answer many questions and would be required for play. (They’re downloadable from my server).

Question: What are your alignment restrictions?
Answer: In the past our group recently “lost” or rather “asked a player to leave” due to his overly competitive nature and knack for playing a foil to the party. While I’m a fan of character development through conflict I’m not a fan of someone ruining the fun. I’d prefer characters who are looking to be something and while their motivations need not be too dubious or heroic they would need to be compatible with my current party. I like to keep my current players happy. I prefer not to restrict alignment but would ask for non-evil and non-evil leaning character alignments.

Question: What are the current party classes/races/alignments?
Answer: The party currently has a Human Duskblade of good/neutral alignment, a Dwarven Fighter of good/neutral alignment, an Elven Druid of good/neutral alignment, a Human Sorcerer of good/neutral alignment, and a Human Bard of good/neutral alignment. The party is in need of a cleric or healer type.

Question: What are you looking for as a 6th player as far as character/class/race/alignment/personality?
Answer: Truth be told we’re looking for someone who will fit well with our current players. A major point of contention we had with one of our previous players was that despite his friendship with us his blatant arguing over his characters ‘good’ intentions and how they justified his actions bored and agitated us all. We’re looking for a player to play a character, preferably one that will fit with a group of “hero” types. He doesn’t need to be immune to fear or beyond flaw but he should naturally be a good person, even if he has sort of strayed from the path (in the case of a neutral character). A list of playable races includes all of the base races (minus Gnomes, which do not exist in my world!) and some races which are a part of my world.

Question: Any Attendance Rules?
Yes. No Call/No Shows are not welcomed and we prefer a weeks notice if you can't play. All of us understand emergencies occur but I suppose having a cellphone is a requisite of playing.

Elros Oronar
January 25th, 2009, 01:09
Welcome potential new players!

I have played in multiple Avegost campaigns and have to say that you will love every minute of it. I started playing when we used NWN as a medium for game play and then merged into FG2. I am on my second main campaign and can't get enough and wait for every Monday night game.

Avegost is a huge, rich world, full of detail and content with enough to keep any new or experienced gamer captivated.

Join us and have a great time!

Cirra
January 25th, 2009, 19:04
Potential Players

Hello! Indeed, this is a fantastic campaign with a remarkably talented DM at the helm. Having played in three Avegost campaigns, I can safely say that this is one campaign you don't want to miss!

Hopefully, we will see you there!

Alyais
January 27th, 2009, 15:09
Still looking for players.

ReikaMichiko
January 27th, 2009, 23:54
Ahh, its not my ussual cup of tea to be DM'ed by such an obvious "stay in the box" DM, but if you want experience and role playing... I can supply that 6th slot.

Now understandably I have a job , and a life (ok maybe not as much as a life as a job), but im also a table top addict... im finding out what my hours are going to be for my job soon... if they pan out i'd love to try joining you guys.

However before that a few general questions

1. Do you mind power gaming (because I will dig up ever feat and every line of rules in the book and combine them to make a great character, and i have lots of books)

2. Is there a restriction on race/race templates/class/prestige class/feats?

3. I understand you dont like player conflicts, nor is this a evil campaign. However would you be willing to let me play a TN to NE character who will do good, but evil behind the scenes to make a profit?

4. Are there any house rules.. natural 20 twice in the row... DC vs massive dmg.. anything.

Feel free to get in contact with me via replying to this or my email address [email protected]

ReikaMichiko
January 28th, 2009, 00:00
Ah... Found your list of house rules.. memorized

Also found out about your little rule on books, i have about 30 pdfs.. want me to zip them and send them to you? Ill probably be referencing quite a few of them, if need be ill even keep a separate word pad file with pages and names of skills/feats/abilities/classes and such that im using

Alyais
January 28th, 2009, 01:33
Mikker,

I'm terribly sick today but I'll answer these to the best of my abilities. I'm not sure what you meant by a stay-in-the-box DM but I can say that after going through 2-3 players from Fantasy Grounds and many, many players over the past two years that I'm very careful about who I let into my proverbial Garden of Eden. Losing players and having to kick them is not fun for a DM and rather than go through that process again I'm trying to weed out the people who aren't looking for a serious game.

Right now I'm definitely looking for people who can commit schedule-wise. We've had a few guys in the past who could only commit sometimes or were uncertain and that causes more pain than pleasure. Once you know your schedule; think about and let me know. Onward!

1. I do not mind power gaming but I will build my encounters appropriately. My games tend to be 1-2 notches over hard so my players are usually digging their nails in to survive. I love this style of game (so do they evidently!). We've had a few power gamers come through and the only thing I can say is that they didn't stick around. Most power gamers tend to not enjoy the level of detail I put into the game or ask of my players.

2. There is. All base races are defined in the Avegost Player's Handbook (its a campaign setting handbook like Ebberon). As a general rule players who are new to the community stick with the base races. The reason for this is simple; templates and monster races require a lot of trust between the DM and the player, trust that isn't yet there. As I tend to have players stick around for multiple campaigns they have learned not to be too impatient as I'll generally allow crazy stuff once I've come to know them.

3. I don't like player conflicts because we had a player who did just that. Always. Forever. This is most definitely a heroic campaign and while a hidden villain wouldn't tear the story to shreds he'd definitely not be as much of a help to the players. This could be considered and again works with the trust concept. In my previous game with players who had stuck around we had in one party;
One Tiefling, One Vampire, One Avariel, One Lycanthrope, and One Timelord.

Again; the devil you know. I knew these PC's and had no qualms with weird subraces and templates but for a new player I'm looking for a bit vanilla.

4. It appears you found them. As for PDF's; I have every D&D book on PDF now. I believe the only book we "disallow" are the Tome of Battle and Tome of Magic.

Alyais
January 29th, 2009, 15:25
We've received a few interested players and are still looking. If you're interested, let us know!

Alyais
February 4th, 2009, 01:32
Alright folks,

We've got our Cleric and may be looking for another addition. Interested? Follow the directions in the first post.

Hope to Hear!
Joe

Alyais
February 12th, 2009, 20:20
Thought I'd bump this. Still looking for another possible player.