PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to begin...

Kilsek
January 23rd, 2009, 15:51
How exactly does this work? Do I need web space to play this on line? Or do you host the game for us?

Please excuse these questions if they are to simplistic for you. I havent had no coffee yet...

Sorontar
January 23rd, 2009, 16:24
Basically imagine you are playing face to face at a friends house who is DMing, the DM hosts the game and the players call in.

With FG the DM hosts a session on their PC and the players connect over the internet. The DM requires a full license but players are only required to have a lite license (although personally if anyone has any intention of DMing in the future I would advise buying the Full license)

FG does have an alias facility so that DMs don't have to give out their IP address, so players will use an alias and I believe they are routed via a service at Smiteworks to the DM (say like a sat nav in a players car on the way to the game ;) ).

Other than that Smiteworks are not involved in the actual game.

Oberoten
January 23rd, 2009, 16:49
How exactly does this work? Do I need web space to play this on line? Or do you host the game for us?

Please excuse these questions if they are to simplistic for you. I havent had no coffee yet...

You host on your own machine. What might be a bit of a problem as with most server software is setting up your router so it will let you host. Players seldom have any problems, but the GM (basically the person Hosting) will have to make sure to forward port 1802 to his/her computer.

This might take some work or be very simple mostly depending on your router.

I suggest you try out the Demo.

- Obe

Griogre
January 23rd, 2009, 20:33
To further clarify as Sorontar mentioned, FG is not a game. It's just software to allow a group of people to play a RPG using the Internet instead of having to go somewhere and sit around a table. FG gives you a dice roller, typed chat, a way to show a battlemap and move tokens (figures) around it.

There is no central server like a MORG. Smiteworks runs a match maker server where alias' are translated to IP address and that's it. If the server is down, then groups can still connect by using the host's external IP address.

I suggest you play around with the demo and then ask if you have more questions.