PDA

View Full Version : Transferring GM status?

LordSyren
January 16th, 2009, 18:12
Heya, I was looking for a program to continue an ongoing campaign and I was wondering if someone could host a game as a player. Or host and then transfer the role of GM to another client? Only one of my group can host online for various reasons which I wont go into, but he's not the GM. Is there any way this can happen?

Griogre
January 16th, 2009, 18:35
The way FG is structured only the host server can GM and have all built in benefits of being the GM. If you are not using voice and using a highly automated ruleset you would have a hard time running a game as a player. On the other hand, if the ruleset you are using has no to little automation like the generic ruleset and you use voice then it wouldn’t probably be a that big a deal.

You might want to explore whether you really could host. As long as you have the bandwidth almost anyone can host with a VPN.

LordSyren
January 16th, 2009, 19:01
I have a shitty router and cant port forward because the username/pass isn't default and I dont feel like resetting it. Alas.

I dont really need anything fancy, though. If the player that's the GM, but not the host, can access the map drawing thing then I guess there's not really a problem.

Griogre
January 16th, 2009, 19:10
You could still use a VPN and host with that router. It's overkill to use a VPN to just port forward and open your ports but it does work though it does add more overhead to your network layer. You would have to set up the VPN, of course. Hamachi is free for non comercial use: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en