PDA

View Full Version : Mood Music in FGII, and idea

Captcorajus
January 16th, 2009, 05:11
I used the search feature to review the threads on this topic and it seemed that many folks are streaming using other software for this option.

I've used mood music face to face for 20+ years, with much success (obviously, or I wouldn't have been doing it so long...lol. :D ).

Anywho, MMOs don't do that. To save bandwidth, the music is preloaded with the software, and plays when cued by the program.

Now for Fantasy gamers out there, I would think that almost all own Neverwinter Nights. This game came with some of the best darn mood music, and I was able to convert all the files to mp3s simply by changing the file extentions.

I've written them to cds, and used them in my face to face games many times.

It seems to me, that if all the players in the game had the same music files on their respective machines, all the DM would have to say is: "Cue City Docks 2" or "Cue Dungeon Combat Daytime", etc. The players could then at their options cue the music to hear what mood the DM is trying to convey. "

This would save bandwidth, and provide very simple functionality.

As far as FGII itself, incorporation mood music should be fairly easy. Just create a file for music in the base folder, and playlist functionallity in software. The players and GM could drop music files of their choosing there, and as long as the file names were all the same, the music would cue when the GM hit the play button. No need to figure out music for every session. Over time, a large library would accumulate in each player's music library and it would be customized to each player's taste.

Thus different music might have the same file name in each player's file. Combat music might be different for each player, but the files would all have the same name.

Or

from game to game you might have to copy the same file and rename it for each DM, etc.

No that hard, and thus the programers wouldn't have to worry about providing original music, just the functionality to play music from inside the program.

If all the players had the D&D midnight syndicate CD, they could just rip the file and drop them in the music folder... all the the DEVs need do is provide buttons in the GM software so he can cue the music.

Oberoten
January 16th, 2009, 08:32
The problem becomes one of bandwith. The files would still have to be transfered initially to become part of the campaign.

This too raises the whole can of worms of copyright.

An alternative though is to let the music stream to your voice-ip program.

- Obe

Griogre
January 16th, 2009, 08:38
The other problem is security. If they don't include their own MP3 player in the FG app then they have to kick off another app to run the music and that is a security risk. If they do include the MP3 player inside of FG thing it bloats FG and probably would not be as good as a dedicated MP3 player.

Captcorajus
January 16th, 2009, 15:57
I understand about file sharing and copyright, that's why i mentioned the midnight syndicate CD. The DM, before the game could send an email:

"Hey guys, I'm going to be using music from the Midnight Syndicate CD"

All the player would have to do is rip his personal CD (perfectly legal), and drop the files in the music folder. all involved would have to make sure the file names are the same, but if you use the autonaming feature in windows media player that won't be a problem.

When running, control would be local. The player can change the music or turn it off, etc.

As for security, the pipe is already open for shared docs anyway, a command to open the file in the music folder is no different.

As for the MP3 player, it is a relatively simple script to have Windows Media Player run as a "plug-in" for the FG app. All the players would have to make sure they are running the same version of windows media player though. The player would have to toggle the MP3 to <on> in his version of the game.

That's why I said, it would be a relatively simple add to put music in this program. Sound effects would then also be easy to add. Tons of sound effects files are available for free on the internet, so once again, copyright wouldn't be an issue.

Tenian
January 16th, 2009, 16:12
As they are working on a mac port, I'm guessing they do not want to use windows media player. :)

If they did some sort of internal player it really wouldn't have any copyright issues that FGII doesn't already have. Images that you share through FGII could easily be protected by copyright laws (as could the text in modules, adventures, etc).

That being said I'm not a fan of music in games. I'd much rather have certain programming issues/requests taken care of, but to each their own :)

Captcorajus
January 16th, 2009, 16:23
well, as I said earlier, this could all be done manually... and everybody could be using their own music... it doesn't have to be the same.

The DM could simply type in chat: "Cue the City Docks Music", and the players, at their option could just start the file on their own (or not, in your case:D ).

A simple file could be created with all the music the DM intends to use, and it could be kept handy.

But thats just me. I know that as a player I would still be running music during the game based on the situation, regardless...lol.

Phystus
January 16th, 2009, 23:34
I think Ventrilo offers something similar, but with .wav files. I've been meaning to play around with it, though I had been thinking sound effects rather than music. I love the idea of playing a sound effect of an arrow shot to start off an ambush, for example.

Of course, that assumes you're using VOIP. Some folks don't.

~P

nezzir
January 17th, 2009, 07:25
Check this thread out:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4979&highlight=ventrilo+sound+mixer

I use vent to pump ambiance my players. I use 'RPG Sound Mixer', the best product I've ever seen for this purpose. I use it in my table games as well. I have hundreds of sound scapes and effect bundles for fantasy, modern, and future settings.