PDA

View Full Version : Shared notes ... GM / Players

Oberoten
January 12th, 2009, 09:38
Hola.

Newest problem : I am making an extension to create vehicles / vehicle notes, preferably these should be editable by the players and even more importantly I want them to be able to see the ones I have done and vice/versa.

I have the basic sheet done, and it works when I input things as a GM, the extension registers it's own icon on both player and GM side... but that is where it ends.

Pplayers can create new empty vehicles but can not edit the stats, nor do they see the ones I create or I the ones they create.

Where do I start?

- Obe

Foen
January 12th, 2009, 11:31
This is complex functionality, not easily supported by the FG engine. There is something similar in the (old) Foundation ruleset, which has GM/player editable notes. I think I also outlined how it is done in another post somewhere (there is a little bit about it on this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9035)).

Stuart

Moon Wizard
January 12th, 2009, 20:40
Seems like these should be exactly the same as the character sheets. You have a button which opens up a list of links which in turn open up the vehicle sheet. The sheets should be composed of string/number fields, and have the player tag.

Cheers,
JPG

Oberoten
January 12th, 2009, 22:36
Nope, I am afraid that doesn't work.

Players can create new entries that way, but not edit them. And they are not visible to the GM.

- Obe

Foen
January 12th, 2009, 22:38
It is OK until you want one player to be able to see another player's stuff. If you don't need that functionality, then you can just use the same method as character sheets (assign an owner at the outset and you're done).

Stuart

Oberoten
January 13th, 2009, 00:52
True that... I'll have to take a more hard/long look at the old Foundation 0.3 I think to see if I can wrap my head around how it is done there.

With several characters sharing a vehicle (in this particular case a tank) which most likely will outlive many characters.... Lets just say it has to be able to be inherited.

- Obe

Foen
January 13th, 2009, 05:58
With several characters sharing a vehicle (in this particular case a tank) which most likely will outlive many characters.... Lets just say it has to be able to be inherited.

You're not making it easy on yourself, are you?

:D

Oberoten
January 13th, 2009, 07:49
We're going back to WW II :) And I intend to drop them in a T-34, but I figure this'd be useful for StarWars to. Where ships tends to survive characters time and time again.

- Obe

Oberoten
January 13th, 2009, 09:56
Some progress...

Adding both <sharable /> and <playercontrol /> to the classes lets me share a copy with the players that they can't edit.

I suppose this will have to do for now, but preferably I'd love to have them be able to edit their own vehicles on updating/juryriging and/or getting them shot at with those lovely 88 guns.

-Obe

Foen
January 13th, 2009, 22:08
The more I think about it, the more moon_wizard seems to have it right. A player can see and edit any node of which she is the 'owner', and other players can see (but not edit) and nodes of which they are holders. There can only be one owner (editor) but multiple holders.

The shareable tag implements some of this without using script, but basically makes all players holders and assigns none of them as owner.

I believe the 'requestNewClientWindow' method can be called in the client machine and will cause the host to create a new database node and assign it to the client as owner. This is used in the default ruleset to create notes, I think. To make them visible to other players requires some script on the host, as I don't think clients can call 'addHolder'.

The whole area of shared nodes is relatively undocumented (an excellent subject for advanced Wiki content), so it might be handy to write stuff up as you go. I'd be delighted to share my experience, and I'm sure moon_wizard would do the same.

Enough rambling for now!

Stuart