PDA

View Full Version : Personality Disorder

andro1d
January 10th, 2009, 16:37
I've noticed that when I open a module that contains personalities, the personalities in my default campaign folder become corrupted with data from this opened module.

For instance, I created a child character that has Youth and Luck. When I open my Against the Orcs module, he suddenly has Sweep and Size +1 as an orc and also gains a battle axe and all of the Orcs skills.

When I close the Against the Orcs module, all is well.

I've searched some keywords on the site, but not seeing anyone talking about this.

Newest patch installed (this has occurred with previous patch as well). Running Savage Worlds ruleset.

Andro1d

EugeneZ
January 11th, 2009, 05:46
No idea about your problem but I hereby nominate this "Best Named Thread of 2009."

Foen
January 11th, 2009, 07:06
You might want to post your question on the Savage Worlds Online forums: the ruleset is supported by Digital Adventures from that site.

It is at https://savageworldsonline.net/

Cheers

Foen

Tenian
January 11th, 2009, 17:39
I've had this problem before. I believe it is because the id's for the personalities are set to sequential numbers by the ruleset / export. What happens when you open a module and personality created for a campaign, there are 2 personalities named <id-00001> and FGII merges them together...resulting in something other than what you intended.

andro1d
January 11th, 2009, 23:50
Is there a simple solution?

Tenian
January 12th, 2009, 02:38
Depends what you consider simple....

The method I know that fixes it is to manually edit the XML of your module so the ids don't use the <id-#> format so they don't conflict with ones created by your campaign.

Of course I don't build modules inside FGII any more, and I've got a fair amount of experience staring at XML so my solution may not be what you want.

Foen
January 12th, 2009, 06:04
I think there is a fix for this within the FG engine. IIRC, a flag can be set which disables this behaviour, but it has some kind of side-effects so it isn't enabled by default.

Take a look at the post here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8972).

I've never explored the new functionality, so I'm not certain how it is implemented or what the side-effects might be.

Foen

zabulus
January 12th, 2009, 10:32
Wow.... just wow... did you remember that, Foen? Or did you search for it?

Foen
January 12th, 2009, 11:24
I remembered that it was out there, but needed to search for the posting.

:square:

Tenian
January 12th, 2009, 11:36
I seem to remember trying that and not getting the results I expected. I probably didn't put a lot of effort into it and just went back to my work around (i.e. having my program generate unique tags).

andro1d
January 12th, 2009, 15:43
Thanks for the link, but not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. I opened up my db file for my campaign and this is how it leads off:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.3">

I'm assuming I have to change this in my module, which I purchased, and have zero idea how to open it and alter it's contents.

I think I might just try creating a dozen or so multiple-personalities (hehe), naming them something like z1, z2, z3... leaving all the info blank to hopefully avoid conflicting with the sequential numbering of the personalities in the mod. I'll have to delete the personalities I've created and re-enter them. Oh well. I'll try it out.

Tenian
January 12th, 2009, 16:03
.mod files are actually just .zip files

I recommend backing up your purchased module before playing with it.

andro1d
January 12th, 2009, 21:22
Ah. Got it. Maybe I'll mess with it sometime.

I created a "Characters and Creatures" .mod. Made 12 blank characters, z1 - z12, then created my NPCs. Voila! It worked. Howz that for a work around?!
:ninja: Ninja Coder

Foen
January 12th, 2009, 22:48
Ta da!

Good thinking, Batman.