PDA

View Full Version : Token Miniatures sizes

kaahen
January 9th, 2009, 20:43
Hello,

I've seen in Xorne's videotutorial that he scales a normal D&D Miniature Token up to 100 px, I would like to know what is the size you think is right for smalls, big and huge creatures.

Thanks in advanced

afd1366
January 10th, 2009, 01:16
I asked the same question of Xorne. See the responses here:

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9469

Trauma
January 10th, 2009, 03:51
Ok, heres another one (not about scale.. sorry to hijak)

How do you seperate your tokens in your token box?

I was starting to think by type (humanoids, then aberations etc;) but I'm no thinking of doing it by set (I'm making tokens from the D&D mini's)

Thoughts? Any help would be wonderful.

Oberoten
January 10th, 2009, 09:04
I asked the same question of Xorne. See the responses here:

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9469

A minor nitpick : His name is Xorn.

- Obe

Oberoten
January 10th, 2009, 09:10
Less nitpicky : Added this to the FAQ on the Wiki.

- Obe

Griogre
January 14th, 2009, 01:46
I use 32 pixels for mediums for mediums, 64 for large, ect. Many use 50 pixel for medium sized tokens, 100 pixels for larges, ect.

Trama, I sort my monster tokens alphabetically inside a monster folder. Inside the monster folder I have sub folders: A, B, C, ect. I combine a few letters so I don't have more than 25 "bags."

kaahen
January 14th, 2009, 08:48
Creating tokens from the D&DI miniatures I have this problem with some of them.

How are you managing those miniatures which shape is quite out of the base?, I mean resizing the width to 50 px constraining proportions is ok when you have a normal Miniature which shape is not much out of the base, but when you have a miniature which is much wider than the base resizing with this method is not ok, since they will be quite smaller than the rest or thinner if you scale them by resizing the height.

For me the best to avoid that would be scaling the miniatures only by means the token base, I mean the token base always would be the same 50 px or 100 px or 150 px or 200 px not the full width, and the rest of the body constrained to that, I know how to do that with CAD programs but it’s quite a lot of work to do for each Miniature but I don’t know if Photoshop allows this sort of scaling.

Xorn
January 14th, 2009, 14:52
A minor nitpick : His name is Xorn.

- Obe

Heh, my actual handle is "Xorne", but I couldn't get that name here. :)

Griogre
January 14th, 2009, 19:09
Creating tokens from the D&DI miniatures I have this problem with some of them.

How are you managing those miniatures which shape is quite out of the base?, I mean resizing the width to 50 px constraining proportions is ok when you have a normal Miniature which shape is not much out of the base, but when you have a miniature which is much wider than the base resizing with this method is not ok, since they will be quite smaller than the rest or thinner if you scale them by resizing the height.

For me the best to avoid that would be scaling the miniatures only by means the token base, I mean the token base always would be the same 50 px or 100 px or 150 px or 200 px not the full width, and the rest of the body constrained to that, I know how to do that with CAD programs but it’s quite a lot of work to do for each Miniature but I don’t know if Photoshop allows this sort of scaling.
I don't have Photoshop - I used the free Paint.NET - but doing this is pretty simple. Conceptually, you just want to change the background area of the picture so the base of the very long or tall figure is similar to a more proportioned figure (in Paint.NET this is called adding to the "canvas" size).

The easiest way to do this is to add transparency to the height and/or width and then shrink the image so the base is the same as the rest of the figures. If you really want them exactly the same you can just do the algebra. I personally didn't bother, I just "eyed" it and added what I though was the right amount to the sides or top and then resized it. If I was close that was good enough for me, if I was off I just undid the last few operations and tried again. I also used the width of the figure instead of the base size – though you are right using the base is more accurate, assuming the picture is shot from more or less the same angle.

Similarly, I didn’t like the “floating” bases of figures that were much wider than tall so I added enough transparent height so the figure was “square” to push the base down to the bottom of the square.

kaahen
January 15th, 2009, 09:36
First, thanks for your answer.

I am not sure if I understand what you mean. Do you mean to have a background miniature as reference, and adding transparency to the each new miniature I want to make so I can see the background token base and match them manually?.

If is that it's an option but I would have to have all the pictures in the same file as layers so I can overlap them, and also I think I don't have a manual scaling tool that I can use to drag the image in order to match it with the background.

is it what you meant?, if not, could you please explain it in a different way?

Griogre
January 15th, 2009, 19:15
I'm short of time today, but no I didn't mean keeping a referance picture in the background (though that would work).

Are you trying to scale all your minatures so the base size is identical or just trying to keep the minature token from overlapping other squares?

As you have seen Xorn's tutorial already you might find these two threads helpful - they are what led to the tutorial and might answer you questions:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8531
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8539

kaahen
January 16th, 2009, 08:21
Ok, this 2 links finally solved my doubts! you know what, I was quite obsess about the resizing because of two Hobgoblins miniatures found under Demonweb (I think), one of them is with open arms, and I didn't find the trick to match both sizes, I suppose that with this method I won't be able neither, but they will be more accurate than the ones I tried...

Thanks for your answer.