PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting...

Blustar
January 6th, 2009, 21:26
My friend lives in Canada but stayed the winter break at my house in Florida. We bought and downloaded FG2 (well I upgraded from lite to full) and played through the tutorial module and Wizard's Amulet. Everything worked great! I was using my home computer and he was using his laptop which has Vista, mine has XP. He set up in another room and I gave him the IP address and which he typed in. We also switched hosting.

Anyways, long story short, he went back to Canada and now we can't connect. I double/triple checked the IP address and still nothing. We both tried hosting and nothing. It does give an error message, it just states that we were unable to connect.

I don't know what the issue is but we do have a slight delay when we Skype, about 2.5 -3 secods. Am I timing out because of the time?

We tried using Vassal to play a boardgame and that ran just fine without a hitch.

We're kinda bummed because we really liked our RPG sessions here. ( and we'll be out $80 if we can't get it to work)

I have no idea what to try next...:(

RiverRat
January 6th, 2009, 22:14
It sounds like you both connected throught the internal network.

Whoever is GM will need to setup their router (if you have one) to forward the port that FG needs to the computer that is running the software. There are multiple threads that discuss this. Once you have the forwarding done, give him your external IP, or use the alias in FG.

RR

Oberoten
January 6th, 2009, 22:52
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Networking

Has an excellent tutorial on the hows and whys.

- Obe