PDA

View Full Version : Something odd going on

Sorontar
January 5th, 2009, 18:17
My Update Available button resets whenever I open FG2 and the rulesets extensions look a tad odd as well.

So as I log in it cycles through these stages (see attachements)

Update Available (so I originally updated)
Update Done
Tried to Host Game (no campaign but Dinor)
Restart FG2
Update Available again with all campaigns showing

When I chose to run a test for the foundation I do not get to assign the 3.5 extension at any point.

Running Vista 64 Home Premium

I'm sure I could happily work away with Update Available flashing on my old stuff but going forwar I appear to be scuppered.

Sorontar
January 17th, 2009, 17:47
Had to uninstall and rip everything out pertaining to FG2, then do a clean install from scratch.

Will see how it goes I suppose.

Sorontar
January 22nd, 2009, 00:24
Stuck back in a loop again where Update Available shows and I cannot see any of my campaigns.

I then update and my campaigns appear.

I do have the 3.5 extension now but have this loop issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Griogre
January 22nd, 2009, 02:02
I'd take a look at your registry entries for FG before and after. It almost sounds like your version number is being put back. Do you have some sort of registry protection software?

Sorontar
January 22nd, 2009, 12:37
I'd take a look at your registry entries for FG before and after. It almost sounds like your version number is being put back. Do you have some sort of registry protection software?

Hmm it's a relatively new PC with a plain install but I suppose there may be some windows stuff that was with the Vista install. I'll check them.

Cheers

joeru
January 22nd, 2009, 12:46
Are you perchance using the User Account Control feature in Vista?

You might have installed the program on an administrator account, and are running it on a normal user account, and when updating it requires you to enter your admin account password?

Happened to me, that's why I'm running FG always as Admin (not the best possible choice, but I'm too lazy to un/reinstall).

Sorontar
January 22nd, 2009, 12:51
Are you perchance using the User Account Control feature in Vista?

You might have installed the program on an administrator account, and are running it on a normal user account, and when updating it requires you to enter your admin account password?

Happened to me, that's why I'm running FG always as Admin (not the best possible choice, but I'm too lazy to un/reinstall).

Thanks for the input.

Edit1:
I was under the impression I had installed as a user as I never log into the Admin (beyond the first time I installed). I do get a password but I was under the impression that was because I was updating files on the system and it would require the Admin's okay.

I just ran FG2 in the Admin log in and there is no update available.

Griogre
January 22nd, 2009, 18:59
FG2 is Vista compatible, FG1 was not, though it works fine in XP Service Pack 2 compatiblity mode. It is better not to install FG2 in admin mode just let the UAC promote it if it needs it (it shouldn't). If you do install in admin mode then part of the things that normally in up in the Data App folder will ending up in program files. Vista is the first Windows OS, where the user is really not required to be in admin mode 99% of the time.