PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from D20 ruleset to Fundation ruleset. It's possible?

gandalf.nho
January 4th, 2009, 16:54
Hi, I'm playing a D20 campaign with 2 friends and I like to know how to migrate the campaign and characteres to the Fundation ruleset + 3.5 extension. It is possible without recreate them?

Spyke
January 4th, 2009, 17:10
Oberoten explains what you need to do in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67894&postcount=4).

You can find your campaign folders in your Fantasy Grounds Application Data folder. There is a link to this in the Fantasy Grounds section of your start menu.

Spyke

gandalf.nho
January 4th, 2009, 20:39
Thanks for the information. It's working now.

Oberoten
January 4th, 2009, 21:54
I added this information to the FGWiki at https://oberoten.mine.nu/FGwiki

- Obe

Tenser
January 4th, 2009, 23:11
Oberoten,
I did as you suggested and my old campaign will load, but the 3.5 extension is not available for the campaign like it is when I create a new campaign from scratch. Any ideas?

Leonal
January 5th, 2009, 00:17
You have to add the extension (in bold) in the extensionstate.xml file in the campaign folder I believe, if it doesn't show up.
I just tried it with my Red Hand of Doom campaign and that did the trick.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<extensionstate version="2.3">
<extension name="3.5E">
<loaded />
</extension>
</extensionstate>

Tenser
January 5th, 2009, 00:48
Leonal,
Thanks for the tip, but I added those lines and it still didn't work when I loaded the campaign. After I loaded the campaign I went back and looked at the extensionstate.xml file and it had reverted back to not having the bolded lines in it. I tried this two more times and each time the file reverted back and the extension did not load.

Leonal
January 5th, 2009, 01:01
Hmm, then I don't know...
I tried first by just copying the campaign.xml and extensionstate.xml files from a newly created foundation campaign and into a copy of the one I tried to convert...
Also I did it from d20_JPG and not the original d20. Not sure if it's different between the two though.

Callum
January 5th, 2009, 14:41
You have to add the extension (in bold) in the extensionstate.xml file in the campaign folder I believe, if it doesn't show up.
I just tried it with my Red Hand of Doom campaign and that did the trick.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<extensionstate version="2.3">
<extension name="3.5E">
<loaded />
</extension>
</extensionstate>
Is that literally all I need to do to keep using a d20 campaign seamlessly, and get any future updates? Will my players have to do anything?

Leonal
January 5th, 2009, 16:06
Is that literally all I need to do to keep using a d20 campaign seamlessly, and get any future updates? Will my players have to do anything?

I'm no expert, but I guess that and also to change to from "d20" to "foundation" in the campaign.xml file.

Tenser
January 5th, 2009, 16:53
I'm bumping this in hope of some more ideas. To recap I made the campaign.xml modifications Oberoten suggested and my campaign would then load under the foundation ruleset, but the 3.5 extension is not available for the campaign. Then I tired Leonal's suggestion for the extensionstate.xml file, but the 3.5 extension was still not available and the extensionstate.xml file reverts back to it's original state every time I load the campaign.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Sorontar
January 5th, 2009, 17:41
I'm bumping this in hope of some more ideas. To recap I made the campaign.xml modifications Oberoten suggested and my campaign would then load under the foundation ruleset, but the 3.5 extension is not available for the campaign. Then I tired Leonal's suggestion for the extensionstate.xml file, but the 3.5 extension was still not available and the extensionstate.xml file reverts back to it's original state every time I load the campaign.

Its kind of similar to what I am experiencing I suppose, do you get the Update Available flashing constantly as well?

Tenser
January 5th, 2009, 17:47
No, soon as I updated to v2.3.6 the update button has been dark ever since.

Sorontar
January 5th, 2009, 17:49
No, soon as I updated to v2.3.6 the update button has been dark ever since.

Ah I'll mark that as a seperate issue then ;)

Tenser
January 7th, 2009, 01:14

Just giving this a bump in hope of ideas.

Goblin-King
January 7th, 2009, 08:06
Just giving this a bump in hope of ideas.

Check and see that you have "foundation" as the ruleset, not "Foundation" (i.e. all lower case). I'll see if I can fix this in the engine for the future, but for now that might work.

Sigurd
January 7th, 2009, 09:19
Thanks Tero, Sharp Eyes.

That mostly works. The foundation 3.5 rules don't have the same features of the custom d20 ruleset I was using previously though.

Sigurd

Spyke
January 7th, 2009, 11:15
Thanks Tero, Sharp Eyes.

That mostly works. The foundation 3.5 rules don't have the same features of the custom d20 ruleset I was using previously though.

SigurdOut of interest, Sigurd, why are you switching? Surely if you were using a custom d20 ruleset you don't need to switch to using the foundation ruleset?

Spyke

Tenian
January 7th, 2009, 12:52
Assuming d20_JPG shares a lot of the features with 4E_JPG, I doubt it's possible for SW to release a ruleset with the same features. The drage/drop damage or attacks to the CT for resolution for example would be a no-no under the old licensing rules, which prevented "automation".

Tenser
January 8th, 2009, 02:40
Ok 'foundation' with a lower case 'f' worked.

Sigurd
January 8th, 2009, 03:32
Spyke:

I'm not 'switching' until the results offer an improvement. Right now my players will stay in their old ruleset. At some stage, perhaps soon, the foundation approach will be an improvement and I'd rather be involved earlier than later.

At the same time, I really like FG as a project. I think recent changes are very positive and welcome. I love the openness and the archetecture of the application. I think the development of extensions is a maturing into a more game system agnostic platform. This is a good thing IMHO.

Trying things out early, before I need them, is a small way of contributing and a big way of being prepared. I think its hard to really test the system if you are not currently using it for gaming so I test with my own experience and whatever thoughtfullness I can lend.

I have an enduring gratitude to the program for it reconnecting me with people I care about in different cities. I enjoy helping out my little bit.

That's why.

Ew, thats my 666th post....

Spyke
January 8th, 2009, 08:25
Spyke:

... That's why.

Fair enough. :)

Spyke

kwixson
January 28th, 2009, 18:48
Changing the campaign.xml file works for me, and everything seems cool, except that now when I drag a personality into the combat tracker nothing but the personalty name comes through. The AC, attacks, etc., are all blank on the combat tracker.

Spyke
January 28th, 2009, 19:09
Changing the campaign.xml file works for me, and everything seems cool, except that now when I drag a personality into the combat tracker nothing but the personalty name comes through. The AC, attacks, etc., are all blank on the combat tracker.There's currently a bug in the combat tracker. The bug is discussed in these two threads:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums...ead.php?t=9569

and

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums...combat+tracker

Spyke