PDA

View Full Version : Lost license key...

NymTevlyn
January 3rd, 2009, 00:11
I bought a new PC and went to install FG2 and I don't have the license key anymore. I sent an e-mail in several days ago to try and recover it, but haven't gotten an answer back.

Help?

Mellock
January 3rd, 2009, 00:26
If you still have access to your previous PC, look into the registry (start -> run -> type "regedit" without the quotes).

HKEY_CURRENT USER -> Software -> Fantasy Grounds -> 2.0 should have an entry called "licensekey". The value of it is your license key.

Alternatively, in regedit you can go to edit -> search and type in "fantasy" without the quotes to look for the Fantasy Grounds entry.

Hope this helps.

NymTevlyn
January 3rd, 2009, 11:02
Nope, previous PC was taken apart and the hard drive reformatted.

Oberoten
January 3rd, 2009, 12:14
Then all you can do is to keep hammering SW at [email protected]

- Obe

joshuha
January 3rd, 2009, 14:25
Did you order it through the FG store? I believe they keep history information there for the license.

Illrigger
January 5th, 2009, 19:29
It won't help for this time, but once you get the key, throw it in a text file and email it to yourself via your favorite web mail client, poof never lose it again.

Another, more advanced option: https://www.mesh.com

Live Mesh is an extension for Windows and OSX Leopard that will automatically synchronize files and folders to a web structure, and can then be used to pull the files down automatically to another location. You simply install the client, access the prefs on a folder to start the process, and it automatically backs it up and keeps any changes in sync. I use it (very successfully) to keep my FG data folder sync'd between my desktop machine (where I do my development) and my laptop (where I play). I never have to remember to copy anything, and I never have to worry about losing all my hard work or the progress of the campaign. You can also use it to automatically share files between different people, for example PDFs. All you need to do is have everyone subscribe to one of your mesh folders (you can invite them with a handy link in the web interface), and any files you put in the share and any changes you make to the files there will automatically be send down to everyone.

Needless to say, I highly recommend it as an RPG aide - it's the best thing MS has come up with in a decade.

NymTevlyn
January 9th, 2009, 04:25
Finally got a reply, and replied to that... now waiting again. *sighs*