PDA

View Full Version : CheckDeviceType Failed! Error Code 16

Newawd
January 2nd, 2009, 20:10
Hey peoples. I'm trying to run FG2 and getting the above message:

"CheckDeviceType Failed! Error Code 16"

And then FG gives up and closes. This happens right after I attempt to start up a new campaign I just created. Would anyone happen to know what this message means? It's not exactly the most informative failure output I've ever seen. :D

FG Version: 2.3.6
Firewall is turned off entirely

Thanks,
Newawd

Oberoten
January 2nd, 2009, 20:46
Error 16 is typically BAD news, means your graphics board can't run full direct X 9 which is what FG needs to run.

Mellock
January 2nd, 2009, 21:21
You can go to start -> run and type in "dxdiag" without the quotes to see what DirectX is doing for you. On the "screen" tab it displays your screen diagnostics.

Newawd
January 2nd, 2009, 21:37
I know this graphics card is *capable* of running FG, as I have it installed to dual boot as well, and I've run FG on the Windows side of things before.

The direct x appears to be OK from running that command. I mean... no obvious problems. I think I may have just discovered an issue with VirtualBox. :/.

Kind of a bummer, but you can't always count on virtual machines to work the way you'd like.

Any other ideas?

Mellock
January 2nd, 2009, 22:11
Are you trying to run FG from a virtual machine under Linux? There are several issues with that. I don't think anyone ever really managed to do that. You can read up on it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6499&highlight=linux).

Oberoten
January 2nd, 2009, 22:48
Ah... Didn't see it was under a VM. Those typically don't support Direct X at all.

- Obe

Quasar
February 16th, 2009, 00:01
Yeah. I've been running into the same prob running it on a VM of Windows 7 on my Macbook. Now VM Fusion is supposed to support DX9 properly so I'm unsure what the issue is. Does the Intel X3100 not support it?

mattw
April 24th, 2009, 03:04
I have just installed VMWare Fusion on my mac and had the same error. But I managed to resolve it.

I updated my virtual copy of XP to the latest service pack and then installed the VMWare Tools.

Using VMWare Fusion 2, When your virtual machine is running and the OS is loaded..
Goto the Menu 'Vitual Machine>Install VMWare Tools
This will run an installation program on the XP VM.

FG2 ran fine after this. arhh 24"s of FG2 tabletop. :)

Good luck.
Matt