PDA

View Full Version : Labyrinth Lord

Foen
December 28th, 2008, 10:36
Just a quick note to say I've spent a few hours over the holiday tinkering with a Labyrinth Lord ruleset. Having received permission from Daniel Procter at Goblinoid Games to produce a free community product, I thought I'd have a go at the front page of the character sheet.

This is an occasional project, as I have my hands fairly full on other stuff.

Cheers

Stuart

Blue Haven
December 28th, 2008, 19:33
Very good Very Good!!! i want this one :D so please hurry up!! lol Nice work ;)

Foen
January 1st, 2009, 15:25
Tidied up slightly to look a bit more like the official character sheet. More work is needed, with colours, tabs etc.

Foen

Sorontar
January 1st, 2009, 15:41
Thats looking very swish bud

Blue Haven
January 1st, 2009, 19:06
WOW even better!!! don´t stop working on that please!!! :D

Foen
January 1st, 2009, 21:52
:D

A couple more screen shots (inventory and notes pages).

Foen

CaribbeanGamer
January 2nd, 2009, 19:04
This looks very cool, was reading through the LL rules last night and it has a great feel to it.

Foen
January 2nd, 2009, 21:26
A couple more screen shots: thief abilities and a general ability screen. Spell users to follow ;)

Foen

Blue Haven
January 3rd, 2009, 00:31
You rock!! when are you thinking to release this God??
Keep on the good work ;)

Foen
January 3rd, 2009, 18:51
The first release (very basic, with a draft character sheet only) will be in the next few days.

I'll post it on the Wiki and add a link here.

Cheers

Stuart

Blue Haven
January 3rd, 2009, 19:33
Thank You so much!! :)

Foen
January 3rd, 2009, 23:14
OK, here is a shot of the draft spells section. The numbers on the right-hand side will keep track of how many of each spell have been memorised for the day, and how many have been cast/are remaining.

The mini sheet isn't built yet.

Cheers

Foen

Foen
January 4th, 2009, 09:14
The proof of concept version (0.1.0) has been published on the FG-Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki).

Foen

Blue Haven
January 4th, 2009, 13:44
Keep on updating this stuff ;) i want more!

Foen
January 9th, 2009, 16:22
Some progress and a new version of the ruleset:

The main sheet now has space to record the 'to hit' rolls from AC0 to AC9, so I've dropped the blank 'Combat' sheet (I couldn't think of anything else to fill it with).
The spells section on the abilities tab now works as it should, allowing the number of spells learned to be recorded plus tracking the number cast. To do this it uses a casting mode and a prep mode, a bit like the 3.5E ruleset, but somewhat simpler.
There are now mini-sheets for general character information, inventory and spells. These are illustrated below.
The graphics have been tidied up, with ruleset-specific graphics for all of the character sheet and the mini sheets.

This ruleset isn't campaign-compatible with v0.1.0.

You can find the ruleset on the FG-Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki).

Cheers

Foen

Blue Haven
January 9th, 2009, 16:39
Wonderful...just wonderful :D

Oberoten
January 9th, 2009, 16:50
Foen, mail me the file and I'll upload it in case there is the same upload problem as before. I fear that it'll be a harsh thing to get it through to the Wiki since I really need a faster server to handle file transfers that'd take more than 2 minutes.

- Obe

Oberoten
January 9th, 2009, 18:04
The file is now upploaded and available at :

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Labyrinth_Lord

Sorontar
January 9th, 2009, 20:38
Hmm we were resting up after our latest delve into the crypts near Larm and I was in the gents of the local tavern.

"Wurmkin has a very special wand" was scrawled on the wall in lipstick and signed Vicky ........... it all makes sense now :D

Foen
January 9th, 2009, 21:05
I thought I'd paid that Vicky enough to keep my wand to itself.

Blue Haven
January 17th, 2009, 16:35
Any News about this one Foen?? ;)

Foen
January 17th, 2009, 16:52
Pretty much as you see it Blue ;)

It is useable as it is, but my next push will be on NPCs, before moving on to the combat tracker. It is also worth noting that the ruleset has been built to allow extensions to over-ride various aspects. I have developed an extension for my own use called 'Beckham', and you might be able to guess the kind of modifications it makes to the base LL rules.

The most recent version of the LL ruleset is on the FG Wiki (but I won't be posting the Beckham extension).

Foen

Blue Haven
January 17th, 2009, 22:02
Ohhh bad bad boy :D ok thanks but please don´t stop working on that ;) your job is wonderful :) and please share that one...pleeaasseee :)

tegeus
February 7th, 2009, 23:33
Great Ruleset. It inspired me to try to get my old D&D group together from 20 years ago. One problem though, the 9th level mage has too many spells for the character sheet. It does not scroll. Also, I think there is something wrong with the spell tracker - it adds tic boxes but you cannot remove them.

Not to be picky. It is a great ruleset I am having fun with it.:)

tegeus

Foen
February 8th, 2009, 06:37
Glad you like the current version, and are getting some use from it!

The spell list scrolls by using the mouse wheel, but I will also add a scroller control - not everyone has a mouse wheel and it isn't immediately obvious that you can scroll it.

The mouse wheel can also be used to add/remove checks (casting mode) and to add/remove check boxes (preparation mode).

The check boxes can also be reset using the middle mouse button (on my mouse, that means clicking the mouse wheel). In casting mode this removes all the check marks but leaves the (now unchecked) boxes. In preparation mode it removes all the boxes.

Hope that helps

Foen

Blue Haven
February 8th, 2009, 13:32
:) eh eh eh i knew it, no bugs allowed... ;) Thats Foen!

tegeus
February 8th, 2009, 13:53
The spell list scrolls by using the mouse wheel, but I will also add a scroller control - not everyone has a mouse wheel and it isn't immediately obvious that you can scroll it.

Doh! That never occurred to me. Thanks.

tegeus

tegeus
February 8th, 2009, 16:54
I think I have spotted one problem in the spell lists. If you have spells over 4th level they show in the list as 4th level. It will not affect game-play for us but something must be missing in your code.

tegeus

Foen
February 8th, 2009, 18:51
I don't see that spell problem on my computer - are you able to post some precise steps which can recreate/demonstrate it (preferably starting with a fresh campaign)?

Cheers

Foen

tegeus
February 8th, 2009, 21:19
I don't see that spell problem on my computer - are you able to post some precise steps which can recreate/demonstrate it (preferably starting with a fresh campaign)?

I am creating some 9th level characters for a new Campaign. I noticed when I drag spells from the spellbook list in the rules into a character sheet - the spells above 4th level go into the 4th level grouping. Maybe there is something wrong with the rulebook spell lists? The other spells go into the proper lists.

I should mention I am creating the characters in Gamemaster campaign mode.

tegeus

Foen
February 9th, 2009, 05:34
If I start a new campaign and create a 9th level Cleric, switch to the abilities tab and click 'Spell User', drag and drop Animal Growth (3rd) and Animate Objects (6th) onto the sheet, I get the attached picture.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with spells above fourth level. Perhaps you could give the steps to recreate the problem from scratch?

Cheers

Foen

Foen
February 9th, 2009, 23:08
OK, here is an early glimpse of the NPC/monster sheet. It hasn't been re-skinned to have a Labyrinth Lord look, but it shows the expected stat block.

Cheers

Foen

tegeus
February 10th, 2009, 00:03
If I start a new campaign and create a 9th level Cleric, switch to the abilities tab and click 'Spell User', drag and drop Animal Growth (3rd) and Animate Objects (6th) onto the sheet, I get the attached picture.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with spells above fourth level. Perhaps you could give the steps to recreate the problem from scratch?

Cheers

Foen

Okay I have egg on my face. When I re-opened the Character sheets today the spells are ordered correctly. Honest before they were not. I guess I never closed the Campaign in the past 4 days since I created the characters and once it was rebooted it corrected.

tegeus

tegeus
February 10th, 2009, 00:04
OK, here is an early glimpse of the NPC/monster sheet. It hasn't been re-skinned to have a Labyrinth Lord look, but it shows the expected stat block.

Cheers

Foen

Cool, I have been putting the stats in the open text portion, this will speed things up.

tegeus

Foen
February 10th, 2009, 09:10
I have released v0.3.0 of the ruleset, which includes the NPC sheet and a few other small changes (like a scroller on the character sheet spell list).

It will be available to download from the FG Wiki.

Cheers

Foen

Blue Haven
February 10th, 2009, 15:01
Thank You so much!!!! :) it is so beautiful that god came down from heaven...ups i hope nobody calls the cops because of this one lol
Thanks Foen ;)

Foen
February 10th, 2009, 17:58
On a bit of a roll today, so I've added a serviceable combat tracker.

That's pretty much all the basic functionality covered, so the rest will be the much longer job of skinning the ruleset, and fleshing out the reference module.

For the latest version, check out the FG Wiki Labyrinth Lord page (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Labyrinth_Lord).

Have fun,

Foen.

Foen
February 14th, 2009, 06:27
This version includes the full text of all spell descriptions from the LL rule book. I have also added a 'lock' to the spell window (see attached screen shot), if the window is locked then the spell cannot be edited. If it is unlocked, then the spell definition can be changed. The default state is 'locked'.

The spell descriptions are only changed in the reference module. For pre-existing characters, you will need to remove the spells on your character sheet and re-drag them from the reference module.

Foen

Foen
February 14th, 2009, 07:08
This extension is mostly cosmetic, but changes the way some of the windows render to an alternate layout. In addition, the Thief skills are slightly different, the encumberance/movement bands are different, and there are a couple of extra NPC fields.

The screenshots illustrate many of the changes.

The Beckham extension can be switched on or off when the campaign is loaded, and remains active (or inactive) during the host session.

It can be found on the FG Wiki.

Foen

Blue Haven
February 14th, 2009, 12:39
Thank you so much for you great job with this great game! :)

Foen
February 16th, 2009, 06:31
Chapters 1-4 of the Labyrinth Lord Reference module comprise the players' guide. These are now complete with the exception of a number of tables in chapter 2 (character generation).

Chapters 5-9 will be the Labyrinth Lord's guide, the largest section of which will be the monsters. Don't hold your breath for that, as it is a huge undertaking to key in all those stats!

Foen

mr_h
February 16th, 2009, 15:45
I've never played LL, but this looks pretty close to the BFRPG character sheet. I could probably use it for that in the future :)

Foen
February 17th, 2009, 06:34
Labyrinth Lord is a so-called "retro clone" game, which recreates much of the Basic/Expert/Companion/Master D&D system (BECM) without falling foul of WotC. It is freely published under the OGL and can be found at www.goblinoidgames.com

I have now updated the reference module to include all of the content from chapters 1-4 (players' guide stuff) including all of the tables which were previously causing me grief ;)

The reference can be downloaded separately from the FG Wiki without having to run a fresh install.

Foen

Blue Haven
February 17th, 2009, 12:26
Thank you so much! :) that will help a lot eh eh :D

Foen
February 21st, 2009, 13:42
This version includes a first run through of all the monsters (193 of them, parsed by Tenian), plus the full contents of chapter five (Encounters and Combat). In addition, I have changed the default desktop (see attached screenshot) as part of the gradual re-skinning process.

The new module content will not work with v0.6.0, so you need to download and install the latest version from the FGWiki.

Cheers

Foen

tegeus
February 21st, 2009, 15:29
Still Version 0.6 at the download site

tegeus

Foen
February 21st, 2009, 16:01
The file needs to be posted by Obe, so it may take a while to appear.

Oberoten
February 21st, 2009, 23:21
Home from work, the ruleset is posted... I still can't seem to figure out what is wrong with the wiki, it works just fine with smaller files... I'll keep swearing at it come next few free days and maybe it'll shape up.

- Obe

Tenian
February 21st, 2009, 23:33
I really enjoyed reading the Lab Lord monsters....all those Save or Die!

Foen
March 21st, 2009, 19:41
The Wiki now includes v0.7.2 of the reference manual, which includes the full content of the Labyrinth Lord rulebook.

Have fun!

Foen

Foen
March 25th, 2009, 11:15
Hi

I have just about completed the Labyrinth Lord ruleset, including the reference module, but would really appreciate help with the graphics - it just isn't my area of expertise!

Any help gratefully appreciated, and apologies for posting this on two sub-forums.

Foen

Note: The ruleset can be found on the FG Wiki.