PDA

View Full Version : GURPS Ruleset

wavecutter
December 22nd, 2008, 12:31
Some one seriously needs to ask Steve Jackson Games if we can have an "official" ruleset. Not to detract from the wonderful ruleset already out there.
I just think something "official" would probably be allowed to be more awesome, if that's possible.

Spyke
December 23rd, 2008, 15:51
An official sanction would allow the following features to be added to a GURPS ruleset:

Listings for advantages, disadvantages, spells, skills and equipment
Drag and drop character sheet creation (though probably not full character sheet generation - just too much coding and maintenance would be required)
Look-up tables for... well, anything in the Basic Set
Current maneuver flags during combat
A die modifier stack that alters effective skill (and which the GM could set globally for the players)
Full coding of success and failure rolls
Reaction rolls
Status flags in the combat tracker linked to HPs and posture
Automatic calculation of burst damage from weapons with a RoF > 1

And there's bound to be loads more...

However, I wonder how much slicker the game would be with all this added? After all, we don't need these things when we're sitting around playing face to face.

Spyke

wavecutter
December 25th, 2008, 02:53
I think an official VTT ruleset for GURPS would probably play pretty fast since everything is automated.

wavecutter
December 30th, 2008, 02:38
I would buy an "official" GURPS ruleset and modules if they were available. Maybe we need to start a petition or something like that. Hell, I'll ask SJG myself (but someone please give me advice)

Placebo
December 30th, 2008, 19:30
Yeah :) that would be very nice to see :P

Spyke
December 31st, 2008, 12:26
I would buy an "official" GURPS ruleset and modules if they were available. Maybe we need to start a petition or something like that. Hell, I'll ask SJG myself (but someone please give me advice)I think the time is not yet ripe...

Fantasy Grounds would get ruled out currently for an official GURPS engine, as it doesn't support hex grids, so you couldn't automate combat to the extent that I suspect you're hoping (no way to calculate range, facing, multi-hex creatures, etc). FG also currently lacks the hooks that would allow you to code status labels for tokens which would also be vital for an official GURPS engine.

SJG also like Macs, and I'm sure would prefer an engine that supported both Macs and PCs.

Spyke

wavecutter
January 3rd, 2009, 04:51
Sage advice Spyke, sage advice. Once the hex grid is implemented it may be a better time for such things.

Oberoten
January 3rd, 2009, 09:30
Lets just wait for the stars to aling then...

- Obe

wavecutter
January 3rd, 2009, 14:57
Perhaps if we all clamored for such an enhancement vigorously enough then such things would occur more swiftly.

ShaneB
January 10th, 2009, 22:11
The Mac support is probably the hardest to get over the line.. DirectX requirement for FG and all that.

I agree an officially "sanctioned" version would be great, but I dont think it will happen. In the meantime we have the Spyke Edition which is pretty darn cool... :)