PDA

View Full Version : Customization

Thyfur
December 19th, 2008, 16:05
Okay, needs some pointers here. I run f2f typically d20 games, mainly a gritty modified version of GW. I ran across a site mentioning Fantasy Grounds Ruleset Editor, but I cannot seem to find out, where to get it as it is not present at SourceForge, nor much details on if it is still being worked on. I am guessing it might be dead as it was started June 2006, but was hoping maybe it went underground and is floating around somewhere else. I also grabbed RuleForge, but have not looked at it yet. So first question is RuleForge any good, any tricks to it, things I might need to know before I get started.

I took COBOL and RPG III many moons ago, so coding is not beyond me, but programming languages are definitely not one of my talents. Have not done anything ever with XML. I have looked at the codes and much of it seems pretty straight forward, or at least fairly easy to understand what it is telling me. So the second question is I want use elements from the d20_JPG character sheet on the d20-MSRD sheet, but with some modifications. Everything is all fine, except I love the drop ability you have with feats and inventory to the character sheet in d20_JPG. I would basically like to have the Inventory tab the same in d20-MSRD as d20_JPG, also would like to keep the tabs for Spells and Psionics at the top of the FX tab with the PP listed at the bottom but with all the other details that the d20_JPG has (like the dropping the spells directly into the Spell tab). Again same thing with the Ability tab, would prefer the d20_JPG style Ability tab over the d20-MSRD one.

I was thinking that I could copy and paste the whole d20_JPG Ability and Inventory tab section into the d20-MSRD, and something similar with the FX tab getting the Spell tab information. Can anyone tell me if I need to modify any other files to do this, or can I basically copy and paste what I need?

Third question: On the Skill tab you have Craft, Knowledge and Perform all with the single blank line. When I create my own characters I typically have 2-4 knowledge skills, is there a way to add blank lines complete with the rank, ability mod, etc for them? Inserting an additional. When I add another entry for Craft for example, I close and reopen the program and it duplicates, so that I have four, if I do it again, I have six, and so forth. The only two solutions I found was to make entries like list...
["Knowledge (1)"] = {
sublabeling = true,
stat = "intelligence"
["Knowledge (2)"] = {
sublabeling = true,
stat = "intelligence"
...or to do separate entries for the more common Craft and Knowledge skills in my typical games.

Tenian
December 19th, 2008, 16:44
Probably your best bet is to post this in the Workshop group, as that is usually where xml/lua questions go.

You could potentionally copy and paste sections from one ruleset to another, it all depends on how integrated the code is. The character sheet and combat tracker are typically the two most complicated portions of a ruleset, so playing with them can be very complex.

Also note that the abilities tab may require many sections/files to be copied. It could use special fields which are called templates. These may be defined in the xml file you are looking at, or in a different xml file. The objects you are interested in may contain <script file=""> blocks which indicate other LUA files you would need. Your templates may contain these blocks as well.

I strongly recommend you make a development ruleset folder and make all your changes in there. Starting small and then adding as needed (or as the console fills with error messages letting you know just how badly you screwed up).

Always make a backup of the originals in case you really mess up :)

Doswelk
December 19th, 2008, 21:24
You may find the best way to go would be to use the d20_jpg set as your base and change the character sheet to more match the Modern sheet.

I've not look ed at the d20_jpg so I do not know how well it would merge with the d20-MSRD.

Thyfur
December 20th, 2008, 01:50
Thank you much. That can give me at least a heads up in case I break something in the sheet.

I always keep two development folders for things like this. One with changes that have been tested and work, a second one for further and newer changes untest or in work. I learned that long ago the hard way.

If I run into problems or further questions I will move it to the Workshop, was not thinking about it last night...

I'll put the third question over there now.