PDA

View Full Version : What do we know so far II

Oberoten
December 16th, 2008, 08:18
Fishing for a bit of useful material for the WIKI... I stumbeled on an old thread for FG 1.5 which was named "What do we know so far" and I think it is time we try to revive this one again but for FG 2.

All data in this thread could then be compiled into the Wiki to make it easier to find solutions for everyone.

- Obe

EugeneZ
December 16th, 2008, 21:49
I think one piece of information it took me FOREVER to find out is that /action (and the associated "holding Ctrl while pressing enter") is broken and you should use /em (or the associated "holding Ctrl-Shift while pressing enter").

Is that what you're looking for?

What about the fact that the inventory list automatically groups items based on location (it even tabs them out if you have an inventory item with the same name as location)? That's an awesome feature... dunno if its unique to 4E_JPG or not.

Phystus
December 17th, 2008, 03:45
The 3.5_JPG ruleset allows you to attach a dice roll to a spell.

Say you want to automate rolling the damage from the Magic Missile cast by a 5th level wizard. For those who don't play D&D, that's 3d4+3 damage. Use your mouse wheel to increment the modifier box to +3, then drag it onto the right side of the spell description field on your character sheet. Then drop 3d4 onto the same spot. Now, when you cast the spell off the mini-sheet, FG rolls 3d4+3 damage for you, and labels it Magic Missile.

~P

Oberoten
December 17th, 2008, 09:43
While this'd be useful information on the Wiki, I was more hoping for programing things. Like how the XML and LUA looks and works.

We had a thread like that for the old 1.5 version of FG.

- Obe

Phystus
December 17th, 2008, 23:51
Ah. Sorry, I'm not much help on that, I've yet to dig into a ruleset.

But I agree, some ruleset user tips (and general user tips) would be good to have on the wiki. As would direct links to Xorn's excellent videos (on the FG site), if you haven't done so already.

Thinking about your wiki, some information on creating library modules would be good too. I got a lot of help on the forum here, perhaps you can glean something from it. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6967

~P

Tenian
December 18th, 2008, 14:18
1)
The isStatic() method doesn't work quite how I expected:

The first static tag sets all nodes following it to be static:

<root>
<npc static="true">
</npc>
<foo>
</foo>
</root>

will result in both npc and foo returning true from isStatic()

<root>
<foo>
</foo>
<npc static="true">
</npc>
</root>
will result in npc returning true from isStatic(), foo will return false.

Also true and false appear to have no effect on static.

2)
There is a length limit on XML tags within FGII. If you exceed this limit, FGII crashes with an application error. See this thread for reproducing the error (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9297) I never bothered to find the precise limit, I suspect it's much smaller than the example, probably a multiple of 2 such as 128 or 256.

3)
The methods getValue() and setValue() do not work with formatted text fields. I do not believe they produce actual errors, but they do not work either.