PDA

View Full Version : Maps and Images Folder will not open

gamersquest
December 14th, 2008, 15:22
Hi there

Hope some one can help - all has been going well - I've saved some images into my campaigns folder but now my Images and Maps folder within FG2 won't open - argghh - due to run a game this evening as well

J

zabulus
December 14th, 2008, 16:49
Have you changed your screen resolution lately? Maybe the folder opens off-screen. There is a file you can delete which resets your screensetup, but that also removes any entries you had already set up in your combat tracker. Now if only I remembered which file that was...

EDIT: Ha, I found it! I was talking about the CampaignRegistry.lua file. If you can't set your screen resolution any bigger, you can remove that, refurnish your combat tracker (if you had anything there in the first place) and you should be good to go (if this is your problem, that is).

EDIT2: The file should be somewhere around: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\[campaign]

Foen
December 14th, 2008, 16:54
You can delete CampaignRegistry.lua I believe.

gamersquest
December 14th, 2008, 16:57
I have been playing between monitors etc - sounds like you might have found the problem!!

Fingers crossed you can recall the file :-)

Thank you
J

Spyke
December 14th, 2008, 16:59
This one really needs adding to the official FAQ. It catches a lot of people out.

Spyke

gamersquest
December 14th, 2008, 17:03
Sadly it's not made any difference - if I set up a test game and copy my images over that opens fine - however even though I have reinstalled I still cannot open the original - any ideas were the rest of the detail is stored - character sheets etc and I'll try copying them all across - so frustrating

J

Foen
December 14th, 2008, 17:07
The main campaign data is stored in a file called db.xml. You can copy that plus the images from one folder to another, plus you will need the campaign.xml file (which tells FG which ruleset to use).

Hope that helps

Stuart

gamersquest
December 14th, 2008, 17:09
Thanks Stuart - will give that a go and let you know

J

Spyke
December 14th, 2008, 17:17
Sadly it's not made any difference - if I set up a test game and copy my images over that opens fine - however even though I have reinstalled I still cannot open the original - any ideas were the rest of the detail is stored - character sheets etc and I'll try copying them all across - so frustrating

JWhen you say 'open the original' are you saying that the whole original campaign now fails to open (in which case the db.xml might have got corrupted) or just the original maps and images sheet?

Have you tried opening the original campaign on your larger monitor, or with your screen resolution set to the size you were using earlier?

Spyke

gamersquest
December 14th, 2008, 17:20
Hi there - Stuarts suggestion has worked - so now I can run my game from a new folder but not the original - all works within the original except I cannot open Maps and Images.

THANK YOU STUART

I've been fiddling with monitors etc so I guess that could be the issue - seems very odd though

Thanks so much for such helpful and speedy responses

J

Oberoten
December 14th, 2008, 18:23
In the old campaign :

Delete : CampaignRegistry.lua

Spyke
December 14th, 2008, 18:50
I've been fiddling with monitors etc so I guess that could be the issue - seems very odd though.It's usually simply that you've dragged the sheet that pops up when you click the map icon to an area of the screen that is outside of your current screen resolution. It's there but out of your view, so it looks as though nothing is happening when you click on the button.

The position of each window in a campaign is recorded in the CampaignRegistry.lua file we've been mentioning, so that when you re-open a campaign the windows (i.e. sheets, maps, npcs, story pages, combat tracker) open up where you left them. Deleting this file (there's one for each campaign in that campaign's folder) means that when you start the campaign all the windows return to their default positions, which will be back on screen.

You might think that it would be nice if the program checked the screen position of each window before it opened and moved it into the visible area, but FG would have to have some way to track the current resolution, and this could really muck up things for people who are using multiple monitors.

What we should really write is a panic button that would return all windows to the default, but where would we put that where a new user would be sure to find it? On the radial menu off the desktop, I guess.

Anyway, I'm glad you're up and runnning again,

Spyke

gamersquest
December 15th, 2008, 07:00
Oberoten - yep that worked - thank you again

Spyke - it was exactly as you say - would be really good if this issue could be somewhere clealry visable to all us newbies - I did a search but could not find any information on my problem and of course the screen issue had not even occured to me.

Thanks again - you've all have been very supportive and helpful - THANK YOU

J

Oberoten
December 15th, 2008, 07:16
Aaand I think that is my cue to put this on the Wiki?

- Obe

Spyke
December 15th, 2008, 07:50
Aaand I think that is my cue to put this on the Wiki?

- ObeGo for it ;-)

Spyke

gamersquest
December 15th, 2008, 20:59
Good plan - lol