PDA

View Full Version : Website user guide broken?

Callum
December 11th, 2008, 12:28
The user guide in the library here on the website seems to be broken. The "top-level" entries all work fine, but trying to open any of the sub-topics produces an error message like this:-

The document /userguide/id64604 could not be found.

afd1366
December 27th, 2008, 23:07
Yup, it's still got a bug as of today (December 27th). I figure the SmiteWorks elves are too hung-over on eggnog and that's why it hasn't been addressed yet.

Ged
December 28th, 2008, 21:07
I cannot replicate the error (couldn't when the issue was first reported by Callum - I suspected that it was a temporary glitch that had vanished). Could you tell us what browser are you using?

Callum
December 29th, 2008, 11:45
It's working for me now - I'd assumed it had been fixed by the elves behind the scenes! But it looks like Ged is right, and it's some kind of intermittent glitch. I'm using Firefox 3.0.5 currently. I was also using Firefox when I encountered the glitch, but I suppose it may have been an earlier version.

afd1366
January 2nd, 2009, 05:14
I'm using Explorer and it's still acting squirrely....

afd1366
January 2nd, 2009, 15:52
I checked again today and I still cannot access any subsections within the User Guide. If I select a specific subsection, it momentarily appears before reverting to the "Using the Guide" entry. As stated previously, I'm using Internet Explorer.:cry:

Any chance of getting a PDF version of the guide? I hate to pester the Sages and other knowledgable posters with extremeley basic questions.

Mellock
January 2nd, 2009, 18:31
I tried it with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5 and IE 6.0.2900 and both work fine.

afd1366
January 2nd, 2009, 22:52
Guess I'm gonna be downloading Mozilla!

Thanks for the secondary perspectives on the problem,

Doug

afd1366
January 2nd, 2009, 23:01
That did it. Odd that the version of IE on my brand-spanking-new Dell laptop was the root of the problem.

Ged
January 3rd, 2009, 08:07
If you could tell us the version of IE you were using, it could help us solve the problem.

afd1366
January 3rd, 2009, 22:57
Ged,

My apologies. I'm such a computer idgit I had to figure out how to determine the version of IE my new laptop is currently using. It's:

IE 7.0.6001.18000

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Foen
January 3rd, 2009, 23:19
I'm running that version and don't seem to be having any problems with the User Guide. I'm on Vista Business x64.

Foen

afd1366
January 4th, 2009, 00:45
That's odd. Ged, here is some additional information regarding the issues I'm encountering when I use IE:

The problem only occurs when I attempt to access certain sections of the Guide. A specific repetitive example occurs when I try to access "Using the Weapon List" under "Using the Character Sheet." Rather than loading the requested section (which appears briefly), the "Using the Guide" section loads.

As an aside, I encounter no such problem with either of the Ruleset Documentation guides.

Hope this helps.

Foen
January 4th, 2009, 07:48
Just to confirm: those two sections work fine for me. I notice they use Javascript (or something equivalent), so the problems may be linked to the various IE options, for example I am using Medium-high security settings with Active Scripting enabled.

Stuart

afd1366
January 4th, 2009, 19:32
Stuart,

My IE optional settings appear to mirror yours. I've been able to access the guide using Firefox so (for me, at least), the issue has been resolved in a roundabout way.

I thought perhaps that the problem was systemic with the FGII site. However, based on the absence of other posters describing similar problems, it's pretty clear that it is in fact an isolated issue with my software & settings.

I do very much appreciate you assisting in verifying this.

Doug