PDA

View Full Version : My newest project

joshuha
December 4th, 2008, 04:59
This is still in the early phases but I have a proof of concept working and now am working hard on getting features up to snuff.

Currently I am working on a character sheet builder GUI that works from within inside of Fantasy Grounds. This would basically allow anyone to create character sheets for almost any game system out there. However, especially at first, these sheets will be very basic. As time goes on I plan on implementing features like calculated fields and what not but for now I am aiming for the ability to create quick, simple sheets that could be used for indie RPGs or by GMs who want to play a system but a fancy automated sheet isn't out yet.

Currently I have the ability to drag and drop stringcontrols (including static labels) and number controls dynamically. I am currently adding more customization capabilities to these such as choosing the font and frame, etc. so that the look can be customized a bit as well.

My next plan will be to add controls for GMs to be able to add some background panels, lists, and eventually tabs.

Essentially right now the GM is present with a blank slate and drags and create controls onto that slate. As he is doing this the code is saving the layout into the database. Then I have written another set of code that recreates that layout once the sheet is reopened. The final step (which is still being worked on) is then to wrap the players character nodes around the data layer needed to save values to those dynamic controls.

I have made a quick flash demo of what I am talking about so you can get the gist of it. I expect in the next couple of weeks to have the player data access finished so that some very basic sheets can be created and then work on more advance options and controls.

https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/CharsheetBuilderDemo/CharsheetBuilderDemo.html

Moon Wizard
December 4th, 2008, 05:16
This looks like a pretty nice feature for people building rulesets for new game systems. If I was starting over, I would definitely like using this approach better, since you don't need to reload every time you make a minor interface change.

Cheers,
JPG

Foen
December 4th, 2008, 06:41
Very neat work Joshuha, I think this will be very welcome.

Stuart

zabulus
December 4th, 2008, 08:08
This would be very welcome indeed.
Thank you much for the effort! :)

VenomousFiligree
December 4th, 2008, 08:13
:D

Nice!

Valarian
December 4th, 2008, 08:55
Very impressive Joshuha. Even when I think you can't do any more with FGII, you still seem to push the boundary that little bit more.

Oberoten
December 4th, 2008, 09:42
The big question is only then how to permanent the changes so you can re-use them later... Export as a module?

- Obe

martel
December 6th, 2008, 07:48
joshuha : Here is finally someone who knows a tool easier to use.
bravo, I'll watch your projects more closely, because you see below, still bravo

dont stop your imagination :-)
gooodd

PneumaPilot
December 6th, 2008, 16:03
Awesome stuff. Can't wait to see how it develops!

John_Geeshu
December 6th, 2008, 20:22
Excellent! Well done.

Brenn
December 7th, 2008, 17:51
Great stuff!

Astinus
December 7th, 2008, 22:57
Unbelievably cool.

phantomwhale
December 14th, 2008, 22:18
+1 to the praise - look forward to seeing this develop.

Be interested to look at the code too - any thoughts to open source ?

joshuha
December 14th, 2008, 23:44
+1 to the praise - look forward to seeing this develop.

Be interested to look at the code too - any thoughts to open source ?

Yep once it functions enough to build a basic sheet I am going to make it an extension and commit it to the new Fantasy Grounds SVN foundation project.

wavecutter
December 15th, 2008, 15:03
Kudos Joshua. Keep up the good work.

unimatrixzero
March 10th, 2009, 21:49
Any progress on this baby?

Would be nice if you could overlay these controls over a blank character sheet .jpeg from the images folder.

Regards
Uni

joshuha
March 11th, 2009, 00:19
Any progress on this baby?

Would be nice if you could overlay these controls over a blank character sheet .jpeg from the images folder.

Regards
Uni

I have just completed moving into a new house that I previously owned and am getting back into the swing of things. Between work that has been generating a lot of off-hour support and FUMcon coming up soon I haven't had as much time to devote to this as I had wanted. So far I have refined some of the dropdowns (which I should share how I simulated a dropdown) but not much past that. My next big tasks before an alpha release are the ability to define windowlists and tabs. If I can tackle those along with the textfields/stringfields I have already it should allow for almost any basic character sheet. Things like diefields could come later.

However, as far as sheets to lay the images on that is not hard to swap out the image and I will make sure the default is something named smartly. I could possibly even tie the background to an image in the Maps/Images section so you could even drop in new images without having to reload.