PDA

View Full Version : Working on some Hi-Res Maps

Tailz Silver Paws
December 2nd, 2008, 05:02
Hey there folks,

I've been tinkering with some ideas to make some hi-resolution maps at the same scale I make tokens at (3:1, or 3 pixels per inch). But this leads me to ask a few questions...

How large a map, is too large? In file size, and pixel dimentions?

Also, to help with sizing the grid on the maps, I have put in a set of corner markers. By drawing out a box using the corner markers, your character squares will be set to the scale of the map. (see attached sample).

I'm aiming for a quasi photographic look with the maps.

So... any hints, tips, requests?

PneumaPilot
December 2nd, 2008, 05:25
I don't really have any tips or requests, but it looks awesome. Did you just photoshop it, or are you using some map-making program? I'm guessing you did it yourself...

Tailz Silver Paws
December 2nd, 2008, 05:44
I don't really have any tips or requests, but it looks awesome. Did you just photoshop it, or are you using some map-making program? I'm guessing you did it yourself...
Just photoshop and lots of photos and other photographic material I otherwise use for textures on 3D Models.

thrylax
December 10th, 2008, 21:30
This is great. Sorry I can't answer your question though, I have no idea. But if you ever make them I would love to get a copy of them. So please keep up the good work.

Callum
December 11th, 2008, 13:14
How large a map, is too large? In file size, and pixel dimentions?
I've seen it suggested several times on these boards that you should try to keep your maps under 300 kB. As for pixel dimensions, that really depends on your screen size and how much real estate you want the image to take up.

EugeneZ
December 11th, 2008, 14:23
I don't think I have a single map under 300 kB. Then again, I'm also closely following the thread about pre-distributing maps to players, soooo... just sayin'.

Phystus
December 12th, 2008, 00:16
That's a beautiful bit of map!

I have to agree with EugeneZ about file size. I tried including a 436K file in a common library module, and it took a looooooong time for my players to load it. I ended up distributing it as a client module instead.

That was fine in this instance, it was a map of the adventurer's home country, but that wouldn't do for a map of the dungeon they were about to explore. At least I wouldn't trust them not to peek. Well, not all of them, anyway.... So I want to keep those small enough to load in-game.

Obviously the host's upload speed is somewhat of a factor in determining how big is too big. I've tried to stick to the 300k limit, and it seems to work out.

As for the other kind of size, 700x700 pixels is the default. Screen space always seems to be at a premium in FG, especially for the GM and anyone playing two characters (or one plus animals, vehicles, etc.).

~P

EugeneZ
December 12th, 2008, 14:17
Well, Phystus, dunno if you've been keeping up with the pre-distribution bugs thread, but it looks like you can make a HOST module containing your images, distribute them to your players, and they won't be able to view the images until you share them, and all masking/panning/zooming functionality should work.

Phystus
December 12th, 2008, 18:19
Yes, saw that shortly after I posted, in fact! :o Could be nice. I'd still have to trust them to not just unzip the file and look in the \images folder, though. I've let slip that .mod files are really zip files, so there's no 'security by ignorance' in play with this group. I suppose I could create 'player maps' that don't show secret rooms, traps, etc. and distribute them that way.

My solution so far has been to retain the old graph-paper-and-pencil look to my maps that the campaign has always had in the past anyway. Keeps the files nice and small! :)

~P

leozelig
December 13th, 2008, 07:31
I use a resolution of 32 pixels per 5 ft. So, if your sample map is 25 ft x 15 ft, that would be 160 x 96 pixels. That resolution is fine for basic maps but might not do justice to your high-res images. You could easily go up to 50 pixels per 5 ft (250 x 150 pixels), provided the file size remains within reason as mentioned above.

(Note: the sample image is displayed at 180 pixels per 5 ft)