PDA

View Full Version : Resolution

Alyais
December 1st, 2008, 03:55
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core...Check.
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1024 MB graphics...Check.
Widescreen Monitor with 1440x900 resolution...Check.
A nice FG2 resolution...No.

How in the hells do I make my FG2 resolution bigger? Can it be bigger than my desktop's standard resolution? (like playing a video game at a higher resolution than your desktop?)

This is driving me insane and I've searched these forums for an answer all day!

Thank you so much for the help!

Griogre
December 1st, 2008, 06:41
If I understand you question - FG's resolution is always tied to the resolution of the desktop - so if you want to change FG's resolution change your desktop resolution to what you want FG to be.

Alyais
December 1st, 2008, 23:24
Thank you, Griogre!

That means I'm stuck at 1440x900 but thank you. You answered my question!

Oberoten
December 1st, 2008, 23:42
Just to make sure we're on the same page here, did you go fullscreen too / Windoved?

- Obe

Sigurd
December 2nd, 2008, 00:11
Check your video drivers and desktop setup. Some drivers allow a desktop expanded beyond the screen view.

FG is fairly good at keeping windows standards ie file formats etc... I don't think it runs in a proprietary windowing engine. There might be a third party one you could try.

XP or Vista?

Sigurd

Alyais
December 2nd, 2008, 05:28
I'm running on Windows XP. The day I switch to vista is the day I accept that I won't make cash doing tech repair as an XP guy. :p

I think what it is is my monitor won't push past 1440x900. My 8800 GT should be able to go higher but my monitor won't. I'm assuming.

Basically I saw all you folks with your nice fancy HUGE screens and got jealous. I wish I had that much space to play FG2.

EugeneZ
December 2nd, 2008, 14:01
Yeah, it's your monitor. Even if you could force it to go higher (you can with some CRTs), you probably don't want that, because your monitor would essentially be rescaling the image down and losing pixels.

Just get another monitor, same size as your current one. Instantly double your real estate.

https://dnd.eugenez.net/images/fg2_wide.jpg

Griogre
December 2nd, 2008, 18:26
Just a comment on monitors: Price wise it is often cheaper to buy *two* monitors a size down than one big monitor and you end up with more screen real estate. FG works great with two monitors.

mac40k
December 2nd, 2008, 18:45
Just a comment on monitors: Price wise it is often cheaper to buy *two* monitors a size down than one big monitor and you end up with more screen real estate. FG works great with two monitors.

Seconded. I bought 2 22" LCDs with my latest computer and although more desktop real estate always comes in handy, I specifically got them for FG (but don't tell my wife that). At the time, the 2 22's were less than the 24"er in the same product line.

Xorn
December 3rd, 2008, 03:02
Note that worst case, you should be able to unlock higher resolutions in your NVidia Control Panel, and use them--anything bigger than 1440x900 is going to "pan" when the mouse gets near the edge of the screen. I found it very annoying, but it's a last ditch option.