PDA

View Full Version : Vista Questions

Sorontar
November 28th, 2008, 17:06
Okay just got a new PC (yay for me) and I've taken the plunge and installed Vista 64 ("Fool of a Took" I hear you all scream ).

Anyway nothing is broken (yet) but I've noticed some funky stuff going on with the App Data folder.

So if anyone has some hard fast rules about using FG2 in Vista I'd appreciate the guidance (no your first 2 rules can't be INSTALL XP :) ) We'll call this preventative medicine instead of healing.

Many thanks for any help given as it's greatly appreciated.

Griogre
November 28th, 2008, 19:51
Make sure you do *not* install as an Administrator when you install FG. Installing as an administrator stops normal folder vertualization which FG expects because it is Vista Compatible. That's the biggest advice. If you have anything in AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Fantasy Grounds II folder you should uninstall as admin and then re-install. True Vista Compatable programs should not have anything in the virtual store.

I presume you know that the AppData file is hidden by default. You can find the folder by pressing the start button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.

Foen
November 28th, 2008, 22:01
Pah! I turned off user access control (AKA useless access constriction) from the outset, set myself up as an admin user, and have been happy ever since.

BTW: Don't try this at home children ... unless you want trouble-free Vista use.

Foen

Sorontar
November 28th, 2008, 22:20
Feeling better at the moment, all my FG work is off the external HD and on the new PC and working and I've just tried DDO on pretty much maxed out settings and it was lovely.

Thanks for the assists chaps, turns out you can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes more than 30 repetitions for it to stick.

Back to fiddling with Vista I go ;)

Astinus
December 1st, 2008, 17:05
Make sure you do *not* install as an Administrator when you install FG. Installing as an administrator stops normal folder vertualization which FG expects because it is Vista Compatible. That's the biggest advice. If you have anything in AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Fantasy Grounds II folder you should uninstall as admin and then re-install. True Vista Compatable programs should not have anything in the virtual store.

I presume you know that the AppData file is hidden by default. You can find the folder by pressing the start button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.

I did install as Administrator (shame I didn't read this first) but I don't have anything in AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Fantasy Grounds II. That folder didn't exist. So I'm assuming you don't recommend a reinstall in that case?

My problem was that in my regular (non-admin rights) user account, there was no application data folder. I just copied the App Data folder from the admin account to my day-to-day user account. FG works fine. Am I going to run into troubles later running the program from the non-admin account?

Thanks for any help. Vista continues to challenge me.

Foen
December 1st, 2008, 17:44
FG installs per user, not per machine. If you installed it under one account, the app data folders etc won't be correctly installed for other users on the same machine, and the registry keys may not work either. The best approach is to install with the same account you plan to use it.

Foen

Astinus
December 1st, 2008, 20:27
Okay, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll uninstall and reinstall with the correct user account.

MeepoSose
December 3rd, 2008, 02:04
Pah! I turned off user access control (AKA useless access constriction) from the outset, set myself up as an admin user, and have been happy ever since.

BTW: Don't try this at home children ... unless you want trouble-free Vista use.

Foen

I strongly second that. I've been using Vista since the beta on some laptops and initially tried to "stick it out" with UAC enabled. I've been much happier after turning it off and even felt comfortable enough to put Vista 64 Ultimate on my home gaming system.