PDA

View Full Version : Making characters OOC by default?

virtool
November 27th, 2008, 10:49
I love the software, but one of the things that annoys me is that characters are set to be "in character" by default. (I realise that some people may like it this way, but everyone has their own playstyle).

Is it possible to fix it so that players OOC by default, and IC on keypress / command / whatever?

(also, if its possible to change the colours of OOC/action/whatever, thatd be awesome, although I realise thats likely to only affect the local client).

Many thanks.

Oberoten
November 27th, 2008, 11:36
Good news is this : You can create your own ruleset version of the default D20...

Bad news? You need to learn a bit of XML and LUA.

Colors are changed on the host version of the ruleset, and the pushed out to the clients.

BMPFONTS.XML contains the code in hexadecimal for different states.

<font name="chatfont">
<fgffile name="fonts/arial.fgf" />
<color value="#000000" />
</font>

- Obe

Spyke
December 2nd, 2008, 11:42
... Is it possible to fix it so that players OOC by default, and IC on keypress / command / whatever?
...Hmm. I can make this work for the GM, but I can't figure out why it doesn't also work for the player.

It works for the GM if you add the following code as the first lines in the function onDeliverMessage in chat_entry.lua (i.e. before the line beginning 'if User.isHost'):

if mode == "ooc" then
mode = "chat";
elseif mode == "chat" then
mode = "ooc";
end
In the GM client this will make chat OOC by default, and when you press the Alt key you will go in character; but it doesn't work for a connected player (which is what you want).

Assuming we can solve that... in order to get the chat indicators to work you will also need to change the line:

<state position="345,610" speak="chat_speak" emote="chat_emote" action="chat_action" ooc="chat_ooc" story="chat_story" />
in the chatentry definition in desktop_classes.xml to:

<state position="345,610" ooc="chat_speak" emote="chat_emote" action="chat_action" speak="chat_ooc" story="chat_story" />
This is a bodge though, and I think some things are going on out of our control. Over to more highly-tuned brains than mine...!

Spyke

virtool
December 2nd, 2008, 15:04
Well, I have a little experience with XML and the like, so I'll have a look around when I get back and play around with it some. Many thanks for the help so far!