PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Savage Worlds setting?

VenomousFiligree
November 21st, 2008, 23:48
I'm keen to know what your preferred Savage Worlds setting is, as a Fantasy Grounds player / GM.

Mine at the moment is probably Rippers, but may soon be Realms of Cthulhu.

I like all forms of Modern Horror (I'm counting Victorian onwards as modern! :) ) and should also mention the 12 to Midnight adventures.

Sorontar
November 22nd, 2008, 00:24
I picked up Necropolis 2350 earlier this month and that's a lovely book, but Rippers and Solomon Kane are solid settings.

One thing SW's does well is settings :)

Of course the rules are pretty good as well ;)

Lysander
November 22nd, 2008, 01:52
I've played Evernight and loved it. Tried to play a homebrew 'pulp' but it just wasn't my thing.

There was a GM advert not too long ago for Sundered Skies and I'm hoping enough people will jump on board so I can try it out...

Necessary Evil sounds pretty righteous as well, but I haven't seen it 'in the flesh' as it were...

I feel like I'm living the Apple/PC battle all over again, but with SW/D&D in the respective places... :D

Tristram
November 22nd, 2008, 06:43
I'd have to say that Rippers is the best I've Gm'd. Shaintar is nice too, from a player's perspective. I started a Sci-fi Homebrew but couldn't get it off the ground. I am looking to do a Freeport campaign as soon as I have a little more time. As to others that I'd like to try? Runepunk, Deadlands Reloaded, Slipstream, Solomon Kane, and Necessary Evil in that order. I also like the Iron Kingdoms conversion that was done.

ArthurLovat
November 22nd, 2008, 14:18
I have Rippers and Necessary Evil and I must say while they're both pretty cool settings, especially NE isn't written very well. The informations about the world (and important characters!) are fragmented and not very well structured. The Setting requires the Gamemaster to write a lot of background himself, if he wants to run a serious campaign.

The setting itself isn't quite honest with you. You're told NE is a superhero (or -villain) game, but it really is a game about an underground war against an oppressive alien-race. Sure, you have superpowers, but you're seldomly battling superheroes. Instead you have something much more like Half Life 2/The Fortress plus superpowers.

Of course the superpowers will work fine for any homebrew superhero-setting, but the NE-setting itself is, while cool, a little too shallow.
If you're just looking for quick plot-point-adventures and some super-bashing, you're in for a ride! ^_^

Rippers is far better written. The background is very well fleshed out and there lots and lots of possible interesting plothooks for creative GMs. The plot-point-aventures are fun and very diverse.

You have to be aware of the cheesy premise of the game though. It looks and feels exactly like the movie "Van Helsing". Low-steampunk-tech and classic movie-monsters plus a surprisingly deep game-mechanic for your own lodge of monster-hunters and its/your status in the victorian society.
Nice game, but you may want to consider playing a campaign, not single-adventures.

I think the best setting so far must be Solomon Kane. A huge, wonderful looking book. Great seting and feel, lots of background material and great stories centering around powerful themes. It's a book you just got to own!

I want to check out Deadlands if I have the chance and I have my eye on Necropolis, despite the fact that I don't like strong religios themes in my games and I absolutely hate the White-Wolf-clan-thingy:
You're such and such a character, so you're in the this clan and get those abilities...

I'd like to say, I love SW and there's still nothing about it I don't like!

ProfMarks
November 22nd, 2008, 19:36
Honestly, I really enjoyed the Agents of Oblivion one shot and and foaming at the mouth for a full setting guide.

Mellock
November 24th, 2008, 17:57
Rippers! Granted, it's the only one I own.

mac40k
November 25th, 2008, 16:54
I've got a soft spot for 50 Fathoms since it is what I got my start in SW with. I'm getting ready to kick off a Sundered Skies campaign tomorrow night, so it may quickly become my fav. We'll have to wait and see. I also own Rippers, Necropolis, and all the 12 to Midnight stuff. My problem with Necropolis is that it is laid out more like a skirmish wargame campaign than an RPG. The 12 to Midnight stuff is good, but not really designed as a single campaign. I only recently picked up Rippers because it consistently gets high praise, but I haven't had time to read it yet, so I can't form an opinion of my own just yet.

Orpheus
November 30th, 2008, 15:48
Deadlands! I'll have to wait until Realms of Cthulhu comes out, at which time I might have to change my answer. : )

Doswelk
December 1st, 2008, 12:43
I've played NE, Rippers, Shaintar and I have just got my hands on Slipstream, all of these are good settings...

But I have to say the one we currently play and I was playing under D20 Modern, is 12 to Midnight's Lone Pine setting.

That said I am itching to get my hands on the Triple Ace Pulp series....