PDA

View Full Version : Pendragon

brucehum
November 20th, 2008, 21:50
I've just started creating a Pendragon character sheet and it will have some simple ruleset. I'm derivating it from the standard d20 ruleset that comes with FG.

Foen
November 21st, 2008, 06:22
If it re-uses much of the default d20 stuff, then it is a good choice to work from the FG d20 ruleset. If it is mostly different, you might want to use Joshuha's Base ruleset or my Foundation one - they both have all the d20 stuff (skills, spells etc) stripped out.

Foen

brucehum
November 21st, 2008, 11:29
Where can I find that?

Brenn
November 21st, 2008, 12:15
You can find links to download both in this thread. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9036)

That is good advice from Foen- I started work on my ruleset long before either one of these had been available and was too far into it to switch over to them easily. It's a flip of the coin really as to whether it would me easier to scour through my stuff or move it over to Foundation or Base (what are we talking about makeup here!?!?). It would be wise for Pendragon to start from either one of these, I'd suggest Foundation if this is the first time you are modifying a ruleset, Foundatin would be a wiser choice because it has more inherent functionality and data than the base. Take good note, however, of the copyright stuff that Foen covers in post #15 if you are planning on distributing this.

Foen
November 21st, 2008, 12:20
I believe this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9174) has the most up to date version of the Foundation ruleset.

Stuart

brucehum
November 21st, 2008, 13:19
Have restarted using Foundation.

Foen
November 21st, 2008, 13:30
Although it is a while since I last looked at it, let alone worked on it, there is the beginnings of a tutorial on how to build a ruleset here (https://wiki.witheredlands.co.uk/anatomy.ashx). The tutorial starts from the d20 ruleset (the Foundation one wasn't built at the time) and takes you through the first few stages of creating a RuneQuest character sheet. The first chapter is in HTML format and the rest are in PDF.

It was abandonned when Call of Cthulhu was getting close to completion, but I'll return to it sometime next year (when Rolemaster is complete).

Foen

Myrddin
November 28th, 2008, 17:52
This last week I also started modding the Foundation ruleset for Pendragon. Thus far, have completed the following elements of the char sheet to a working standard:

Main Sheet
Personal Data
Statistics (inc automatically derived statistics)
Hit Points
Glory Total / This Game
Distinctive Features
Joust Score

Traits Sheet
Personality Traits (Directed Traits tbc)
Passions (with slots for up to six PC-specific passions)

I next intend to produce Skills, Character History, Equipment, Stable and Holdings sheets. I'll add some other bits and pieces to the Main sheet as well.

I'm totally new to xml and lua scripting, but using the Foundation and d20 rulesets for reference am learning fast.

It would be good to compare notes brucehum. Are there any others out there who have already produced a Pendragon mod or are doing so?

Foen
November 29th, 2008, 06:34
Welcome to the forums Myrddin, and I hope you find us helpful and friendly.

Creating a ruleset or even a character sheet is a big job, so you and brucehum may want to join forces - that way you can share the effort and also bounce ideas/suggestions off each other. You may not want to either, just a thought.

Please don't hesitate to shout if you have any questions while creating your ruleset.

All the best,

Foen

sdompy
February 10th, 2009, 13:51
Any news about that Ruleset ?

Myrddin
February 13th, 2009, 19:32
It's getting there, if a bit slowly of late!

So far, I have put together the following sheets for the char sheet:

Main Sheet
Personal Data
Statistics (inc automatically derived statistics)
Distinctive Features
Glory Total / This Game
Hit Points (inc Wounds tracker)
Armour
Annual Glory (total and sub-totals automatically derived from traits 16+,passions 16+, chivalry bonus etc )

Traits Sheet
Personality Traits (inc automatic underlining of religious traits)
Directed Traits (with slots for up to six directed traits)
Passions (with slots for up to nine PC-specific passions)
Virtues (automatic checks for Chivalry and Religion bonus)
Oaths

Skills Sheet
Ordinary (with slots for up to five PC-specific passions)
Combat

Inventory Sheet
Inventory
Movement
Wealth

History Sheet
Character History
Family History

Notes Sheet
Character Notes
GM Notes

I need to do a bit of tidy up and produce Stable and Holdings sheets, then it's almost ready for playtesting with a few of my players.

I am not sure of the legalities of distributing such material without having yet sought the IP owner's permission, otherwise I would share some screen shots with you.

Next step after the char sheet will be a combat tracker.

I am interested to know how many Pendragon players are out there either using Fantasy Grounds already or else developing or waiting for a ruleset. it looks like there are at least three of us...any more?

Valgard
February 22nd, 2009, 08:15
You can count me as another one. I made a start on a ruleset with FG I, just before FG II came out. After that I shelved the project and haven't gone back to it. Would love to see a ruleset for the game, I started collecting Pendragon when the first edition came out but only managed a few games with my friends.

Ian

Stuart
February 22nd, 2009, 09:08
I've played Pendragon but obviously not with FG ... I'd be interested in a game if there was a character sheet available.

chrisgal
May 23rd, 2013, 08:37
I have played and gamemastered Pendragon before but have only recently discovered Fantasy Grounds II, I am interested in a game, and also a ruleset.

Myrddin
May 23rd, 2013, 09:26
Hi chrisgal

I hope to have a ruleset working soon to be able to start a Great Pendragon Campaign on FG. I had more or less completed a ruleset based on the Foundation ruleset previously, but came totally unstuck creating a combat tracker. So, I started again, this time using the 3.5E ruleset 2.9.2. This has allowed me to make use of the fantastic functionality that's already built into that ruleset and is making the development much more straightforward.

I'll let you know as soon as I have something ready to test and then run.

chrisgal
May 23rd, 2013, 10:11
Will there be a feature in the Pendragon campaign run with FG2 to cater to land and manor management and such things as tournaments etc?

Myrddin
May 23rd, 2013, 11:59
The character sheet allows holdings to be recorded (as per character sheet in KAP 5.1 rulebook). In FG terms, it's a windowlist, so you can add as many individual holdings as you require and each has a link to a sub-window to record as much detail as you wish about the individual holding. Essentially the same sort of look and feel as the 'Feat' or 'Ability' lists and records in the 3.5E ruleset.

My plan would be to add more detailed functionality for manor management later. I don't anticipate needing detailed land management for the first phase of the GPC.

What sort of functionality are you thinking about for tournaments? All the KAP skills and dice rolling mechanics are included. Do you have something else in mind?

martel
May 25th, 2013, 16:11
hello all,

i love Pendragon, and it is really good enjoy to ear as your build rulseset on 5.1 :-)
i speak not very well english, sorry, but french.

i follow you Myrddin.

S Ferguson
June 9th, 2013, 20:22
I for one would love to see this in action.

If you need help on the Great Pendragon Campaign, PM me. I've been playing Pendragon for what seems like decades (more than likely because that's how long it's been) and we're almost up to the Battle of Agincourt. I have a firm grasp on the material, and have read Mallory's Le Morte d'Arthur. about two or three times, at least, depending on what new source material I find, and have pretty much all of the rules - from 1st to 5.1.

Like I said, give me a shout if you need help, and thanks for the work you've already put into this. Looking forward to the release.

Regards,
SF

Myrddin
June 12th, 2013, 12:55
Thanks SF. I have more or less completed the char sheet and am now modifying the combat tracker and various scripts to apply Pendragon dice roll mechanics.

I am desperate to get the ruleset finished, so my own group of players can resume play and so that I can start a GPC all over again for new players with FG. I'll keep you posted on progress.

S Ferguson
June 12th, 2013, 15:32
Thanks SF. I have more or less completed the char sheet and am now modifying the combat tracker and various scripts to apply Pendragon dice roll mechanics.

I am desperate to get the ruleset finished, so my own group of players can resume play and so that I can start a GPC all over again for new players with FG. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Thanks! :)

Alyais
July 10th, 2013, 04:50
Any news on this? I'm super pumped.

S Ferguson
July 11th, 2013, 18:59
Any news on this? I'm super pumped.

You aren't the only one....:)

Myrddin
July 11th, 2013, 23:11
I'm progressing well.

Char Sheet and Combat Tracker are more or less finished and working nicely. It took me a while to figure out how to approach Armor and Shield protection for Success and Partial Success combat rolls. I've dealt with this by having an Effect automatically apply based on the individual combat roll. The Effect expires after first applicable damage roll or at end of round. I'm not totally thrilled with this approach, but it works unless a combatant takes multiple hits in a round...at the moment you'd need to reduce subsequent hits for Armor. I may go back to this and implement something more robust. It also took a bit of time to implement the Wounds List instead of single Wounds field, but this now works automatically as it should.

I'm currently working on NPC sheet(s): one for NPCs; one for Mounts & Natural Beasts; and one for Monsters and Fabulous Beasts. I need to figure out how to adjust the StringManager scripts to allow NPC skill, trait and passion entries to be recorded as say Awareness 12, Courtesy 4...at the moment you have to enter these as Awareness +12, Courtesy +4 because the ruleset is based on 3.5E.

Then I need to adjust Party Sheet and Char Sheet Mini for changes made to Char Sheet and I think I'll have a ruleset worth playtesting.

As I have modified the 3.5E ruleset, there will be a lot of redundant code that I would like to remove following playtesting. I'm not removing anything now unless I'm absolutely sure it's redundant.

S Ferguson
July 12th, 2013, 01:35
<<snipped>>

As I have modified the 3.5E ruleset, there will be a lot of redundant code that I would like to remove following playtesting. I'm not removing anything now unless I'm absolutely sure it's redundant.

That's usually the best way to approach it, I find.

Cheers,
SF

ddavison
July 12th, 2013, 04:56
Do you have any plans to automate the end of year process? That would be very cool to see play out in an automated or semi-automated fashion.

Myrddin
July 13th, 2013, 09:55
I hadn't planned to automate the winter phase or land management... certainly not at first! Once I get a version 1 of the ruleset up and running, I may make this my next project. Out of interest, which elements would you like to see automated? I think players would want to still be able to roll skill increase checks for instance.

vbulletin_tech
July 13th, 2013, 14:55
I was imagining some form of wizard that walks a player through the various aspects or which helps a GM run each of the players through it.

Perhaps a screen where the GM drags all the active players into it and then the winter phase screen has various auto-roll features or options available. The same for the land phase. If you look at the D&D 3.5 ruleset that is built in, take a look at the GM's party management screen. You could probably lift various pieces of functionality from that.

ddavison
July 13th, 2013, 14:56
Oops, sorry. That was me as "vbulletin_tech" testing a new account we plan to use for technical purposes.

S Ferguson
July 13th, 2013, 15:17
I was imagining some form of wizard that walks a player through the various aspects or which helps a GM run each of the players through it.

Perhaps a screen where the GM drags all the active players into it and then the winter phase screen has various auto-roll features or options available. The same for the land phase. If you look at the D&D 3.5 ruleset that is built in, take a look at the GM's party management screen. You could probably lift various pieces of functionality from that.

That's a good balance between automation and roleplaying. I would definitely second that motion. Additionally, this level wouldn't be too difficult. Sounds like a good medium (sans wizard - there was only Morgana Le Fey and Merlin although this would be intriguing - a stalwart knight being misled by morgana...) Sounds good.

Cheers,
SF

S Ferguson
July 13th, 2013, 15:18
Oops, sorry. That was me as "vbulletin_tech" testing a new account we plan to use for technical purposes.

Your hiccup in the thread is perfectly acceptable.

Cheers,
SF

Myrddin
July 14th, 2013, 00:02
Sounds like a sensible approach. It'll still be a V2 project for me though, I reckon. It'll need me to improve my coding skills somewhat I'm sure.

S Ferguson
July 14th, 2013, 02:09
Sounds like a sensible approach. It'll still be a V2 project for me though, I reckon. It'll need me to improve my coding skills somewhat I'm sure.

You'd be amazed how fast those come...:D

Cheers,
SF