PDA

View Full Version : Modify chat input box?

VenomousFiligree
November 20th, 2008, 17:24
Can the chat input box be increased in depth to include extra lines?

Foen
November 21st, 2008, 06:20
Do you mean the *input* box (chatentry)? I'm not sure how you would use a multi-line input box.

I've certainly seen screenshots with different sized chat output boxes.

Foen

VenomousFiligree
November 21st, 2008, 06:31
Do you mean the *input* box (chatentry)? I'm not sure how you would use a multi-line input box.

I've certainly seen screenshots with different sized chat output boxes.

Foen
Yes chat entry

I've been typing in some long entries of late, would be good to see more of it, for final editting, before hitting enter!

Foen
November 21st, 2008, 06:36
I don't think you can do that: it is a special control which inherits from windowcontrol and not from stringcontrol, so it doesn't have a multilinespacing property.

:(

Foen

Spyke
November 21st, 2008, 09:27
I think it would be possible to create a separate input box, with multiple lines, and send the results of that to the chat window instead.

Having said that, the way I get round this is to have a note open and type long lines into that, then copy and paste into the chat entry box. This also allows me to react to what's happening while I'm preparing the longer text without having to do something like drag it to a hotkey slot.

Spyke

VenomousFiligree
November 21st, 2008, 11:08
Having said that, the way I get round this is to have a note open and type long lines into that, then copy and paste into the chat entry box. This also allows me to react to what's happening while I'm preparing the longer text without having to do something like drag it to a hotkey slot.

Spyke

I started doing that in the last Zombie session :)

However, it would become a bit unwieldy as a DM I believe?

Spyke
November 21st, 2008, 11:50
I started doing that in the last Zombie session :)

However, it would become a bit unwieldy as a DM I believe?I have done this while GMing as well, but you're right it is a bit unwieldy. I might give the separate GM entry screen a bit more thought, as it could be provided as an extension, and there might be other functionality that could be built in (not least of which would be multiple text buffers).

Spyke

Bidmaron
November 21st, 2008, 22:11
There is already a second chat buffer. While you're working on your long entry, you can hold down the <control> key and type either the up or down arrow to access an alternate chat buffer to type something else. Hit <enter> and then use the <control> up/down arrow to get back to what you were typing.

Spyke
November 23rd, 2008, 13:14
There is already a second chat buffer. While you're working on your long entry, you can hold down the <control> key and type either the up or down arrow to access an alternate chat buffer to type something else. Hit <enter> and then use the <control> up/down arrow to get back to what you were typing.Thanks Bidmaron. I remember we used to be able to do this with tab, but I'd missed the posts which told us about Ctrl-Up/Down. Very useful.

Spyke

Bidmaron
November 23rd, 2008, 15:13
NP. Nice to be able to help.

VenomousFiligree
November 23rd, 2008, 16:40
Yeah thanks, didn't know about that :)