PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for ideas from you gurus.

Brenn
November 12th, 2008, 05:43
I'm working on a ruleset for Reign and the system is designed to be highly customizable. I would like the GM to be able to add custom stuff from within the FG interface and then have the character sheets and other game elements work from that data (eg custom skill lists or spell lists). What is the best way to go about this?

I thought about creating the various interfaces to do this and just writing it to the DB, but then those items would have to be entered again once a new campaign was started, wouldn't they?

Is there another way to approach this?

Foen
November 12th, 2008, 07:21
You could use extensions to achieve something similar, or modules. Extensions are GM-controlled but loaded when FG launches (so not strictly in-game). Modules are selected in game.

Neither are editable from within the game, if you want that flexibility then I think you'll have to stick with holding the data in the db file. If you use the db file, you can always cut and paste between campaigns or move the data subsequently into a module file.

Finally, you could use the db file, but then edit the /export scripts to allow custom lists to be exported to your own modules in the same way that NPCs and story entries are exported.

Foen

Brenn
November 12th, 2008, 13:05
Finally, you could use the db file, but then edit the /export scripts to allow custom lists to be exported to your own modules in the same way that NPCs and story entries are exported.

Ding, ding. We have a winner. That's the answer, I think. Thanks, Foen!