PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Issues

Darren
November 9th, 2008, 03:02
First, yes I've read all the posts about connecting; I still hope to get some advice:

Version: FG2, updated

Before: A player was able to connect, and then could not. Nothing changed either on my end or theirs.

After: Then, to better secure my modem (which was open before) I created a custom security mode, and added a port forwarded port for 1802. I have noticed people say that it must be in open mode, and not stealthed. However, this is not secure, is it? Even so, I do not know how to make just port 1802 open, and not stealthed.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.:confused:

Spyke
November 9th, 2008, 09:44
It's not clear from your post whether you're just confused about Open vs Stealthed or whether your players still can't connect.

Your port has to be Open to the internet to allow traffic through onto your machine, in other words to allow your players to connect to you. Fantasy Grounds opens port 1802 when you start to host a session, and then closes it when you shut the program down. So the port will only be open while you're playing, which is what you want.

If you're still having trouble connecting, we can't give much more help initially than is given in those other threads: it's all the same advice!

If you missed this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9184), please read it through, as I'd only repeat the advice about using PC Flank to check your port status and local IP here.

If you're still stuck, then you need to give us more information: what is the make of your router, what does your setup look like (e.g. cable modem, wifi router, desktop PC), what firewall are you using on your local machine, are you running under XP or Vista, have you updated anything else on your machine recently (particularly your firewall software)?

Spyke

Darren
November 9th, 2008, 21:58
It's not clear from your post whether you're just confused about Open vs Stealthed or whether your players still can't connect.

Your port has to be Open to the internet to allow traffic through onto your machine, in other words to allow your players to connect to you. Fantasy Grounds opens port 1802 when you start to host a session, and then closes it when you shut the program down. So the port will only be open while you're playing, which is what you want.

If you're still having trouble connecting, we can't give much more help initially than is given in those other threads: it's all the same advice!

If you missed this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9184), please read it through, as I'd only repeat the advice about using PC Flank to check your port status and local IP here.

If you're still stuck, then you need to give us more information: what is the make of your router, what does your setup look like (e.g. cable modem, wifi router, desktop PC), what firewall are you using on your local machine, are you running under XP or Vista, have you updated anything else on your machine recently (particularly your firewall software)?

Spyke

Thanks for your response; I'm going to try to answer all the questions and make my question clearer.

Router: Motorola SBG900
Router Setup: I logged into the router, and then set a Custom Firewall Policy using all of the protocols already created (e.g., SMTP, etc.). I then set up Port forwarding for Port 1802 (Start/End), and it is Enabled.
Setup: Cable Modem with wireless connection to desktop PC running XP
Firewall: Windows Firewall (I know, could be better...), with exceptions for FG2
Recent Updates: None (especially Firewall)

The situation was that my friend was able to connect when my Router Firewall Policy was set to None, and then mysteriously, without any changes, he could not connect.

I then learned more about security, and implemented the Router Setup I outlined above (Custom Firewall, etc.).

PC Flank tells me my Port 1802 is Stealthed, even while I have FG2 up and running, awaiting player connections. This may be why players cannot connect. Do you think so?

One comment about Open ports is that PCFlank says:

"Open" - Means that this port is ready to establish (or has already established) a connection with remote address. It also means that your computer is vulnerable to attacks and could have been already hacked or infected by a trojan/backdoor;

Thus, I am confused about Stealth versus Open, as far as security is concerned, but specifically whether players can still connect while this port is Stealthed (as Open seems bad).

Spyke
November 9th, 2008, 22:18
PC Flank tells me my Port 1802 is Stealthed, even while I have FG2 up and running, awaiting player connections. This may be why players cannot connect. Do you think so?Yes. Stealthed means that the port cannot be seen by the outside world. This is because a firewall is in the way. You've got two firewalls in your setup, one in the router and one on your desktop. It's also possible that your ISP has blocked port 1802 somewhere in their system, but as this is the least likely we'll try to find a problem somewhere in your setup first.

It sounds as though you've got your Windows firewall set up correctly (as you've made exceptions for FG2), so it's most likely your port forwarding.

Make sure that it is the current internal IP address of your desktop that you've entered (this is shown on the host startup screen of FG2 in the box labeled 'Your local network address'). This can change from time to time if you have a number of different devices connecting to your wireless router. (This can be prevented by setting a static IP address on your machine, which we'll ignore for now.)

Thus, I am confused about Stealth versus Open, as far as security is concerned, but specifically whether players can still connect while this port is Stealthed (as Open seems bad).Open is bad for security, but necessary in order for your players to reach your computer in order to play the game. Every program that talks to the internet on your machine opens a port to do so, but they should also close them again when they've finished. Leaving a port open all the time is bad, but it's OK for them to be opened when your software needs a route to the internet. PC Flank's comment is true, but bear in mind that they also sell firewall and other security software...

Spyke

Darren
November 9th, 2008, 22:30
Thanks, again -

I'm not sure what I've done wrong with the port forwarding setup. You mentioned that FG2 "Opens" port 1802 and then closes it automatically. This sounds like it should just open it, then. What else do I need to change to have port 1802 Open for connections?

I have indeed entered for port forwarding, the address shown on FG2, 'Your local network address'. Not sure what I've done incorrectly....

Spyke
November 10th, 2008, 08:48
Have you tried dropping your Windows firewall briefly to check whether it's set up correctly?

Start a campaign in FG2 (which should open the port).

Switch off your Windows Firewall.

Check with PC Flank to see the status of port 1802. If it's still Stealthed then your router firewall or your ISP is blocking it. If it's Open then your problem is with the way you've set up Windows Firewall for FG2. If it's Closed then it's most probably your Port Forwarding.

Switch your Windows Firewall back on again!

Setting up the Port Forwarding on your Motorola SBG900 looks reasonably straightforward. Do you want to post a screenshot of the setup you've entered for FG2?

Also check that you don't have another rule that is taking precedence that is forwarding port 1802 somewhere else. The router allows you to forward ranges, so 1802 might be getting included in another rule.

Spyke

Darren
November 13th, 2008, 03:58
Alright, the problem was discovered: the player tried connecting by selecting the previous connection option, but was finally able to connect when he retyped in the alias. Perhaps he originally copied and pasted the alias text with an extra space or something. It wasn't my network setup at all! Those darn players - where's my vorpal dice?

The process of understanding this problem has led to learning more about networking than ever! I hope my issues and Spyke's amazing and patient help will assist others. Thanks for your help.

Darren
November 13th, 2008, 04:47
Just found out even though its changed from last time, the password auto click didn't work again for my player. So maybe it wasn't his fault! I have a feeling it has to do with which of the computers on my home network are turned on first (due to different internal IP addresses taking over - maybe). We'll see - I will post a final explanation of what worked.

Sorontar
November 13th, 2008, 12:56
Just found out even though its changed from last time, the password auto click didn't work again for my player. So maybe it wasn't his fault! I have a feeling it has to do with which of the computers on my home network are turned on first (due to different internal IP addresses taking over - maybe). We'll see - I will post a final explanation of what worked.

Yup they will assign them as networks items are switched on - you should be able to reserve an internal IP for your gaming PC within your router settings (at least I can on my netgear)

Darren
November 16th, 2008, 07:45
Ok, we finally got to enjoy a game. Here's how it got fixed:

First, I called Motorola. The techy worked with me to set up the firewall the way it should be, with portforwarding 1802:1803. It didn't work. We then just disabled the router firewall. It didn't work. Then we even set up DMZ - demilitarized zone - where the computer is considered outside the network. Still didn't work. The techy gave up and said check with Windows (I laughed, and then I cried, thinking I might have to actually call Microsoft).

Second, I called my ISP, and after several times being hung up on, I finally contacted a techy who said there's nothing extra my ISP (Comcast) is doing - no other firewalls on the network or something. He didn't know what else I could do, either.

Then, while talking to the ISP guy, and looking at my router Gateway information for the thousandth time, it finally dawned on me what the third lease was - my computer was one, my roommate's another, and some LinksysPAP. We had Vonage phone service which connects via the internet! Duh!

Finally, I realized that the Vonage LinksysPAP thingy was probably the cause, so I disconnected the vonage land line and reset the router. Reset port forwarding and amazingly enough, my players could connect to my machine.

What a crazy ride, yet very informative. I finally understand what the heck the router is doing and some of the magic it performs. Thank you to those who helped.

Spyke
November 16th, 2008, 10:36
What a crazy ride, yet very informative. I finally understand what the heck the router is doing and some of the magic it performs. Thank you to those who helped.;) It's one of those 'rite of passage' things that every online GM has to go through!

Spyke