PDA

View Full Version : QoS Scheduling

Tarostar
November 7th, 2008, 12:50
I've seen in some posts that disabling QoS Scheduling can speed up connections.

I can't find any indepth explanation on this on these forums though so just wanted to ask if someone can explain if this should always be disabled (and preferably a brief why). A link to any previous posts is equally good.

I can see it in the Local Area Connection list, is just unchecking it and hitting ok sufficient to disable it?

Oberoten
November 7th, 2008, 17:41
QoS stands for Quality of Service. Which means that it is a protocol for giving different network tasks different priority for bandwidth. Typically this is a good thing for those tasks that are set up in the QoS. Of course it is a far worse thing for those programs that are not prioritized.

Dropped packets, delay and lag is the result of not being prioritized. And for a bandwith sensitive program like FG? This is BAD news.

Tarostar
November 7th, 2008, 22:33
QoS stands for Quality of Service. Which means that it is a protocol for giving different network tasks different priority for bandwidth. Typically this is a good thing for those tasks that are set up in the QoS. Of course it is a far worse thing for those programs that are not prioritized.

Dropped packets, delay and lag is the result of not being prioritized. And for a bandwith sensitive program like FG? This is BAD news.

Ok, you learn something new every day (...ok most days). Thanks! I had read about QoS on Wikipedia but didn't understand why this wouldn't be a good thing for FG. You have enlightened me, so because FG is not able to take advantage of QoS it is given a low priority. Given that most people will have this enabled and have no clue that it might slow down things, couldn't FG be changed to "register" with QoS or wathever necessary? I realise I'm utterly ignorant here so it's more a question than a suggestion. :)

Oberoten
November 8th, 2008, 08:08
Windows XP has a rather limited version of the QoS. As far as I understand it you'd need to download some kind of QoS toolset or change registry keys by hand.

QoS is by default set to reduce jitter and "bumps" in bandwith and to make sure Windows has enough bandwith to call home...

- Obe

Bidmaron
November 8th, 2008, 12:31
I searched for "quality" and "service" and was unable to locate any guidance on where to go and how to disable it. Do you recall, Obe (Wan), where this was discussed?

Foen
November 9th, 2008, 06:14
I've not messed with it personally, but the Properties of your Network Connection should have a QoS Packet Scheduler (if it is installed) which can be unticked to disable it.

Foen

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2008, 13:43
Thanks, Foen. On Vista, I found it by going to the Network Connections control panel and then right clicking to select Properties. In that dialog box, there was a list with a bunch of things, including a 'QoS Packet Scheduler' that could be turned on and off, installed, or uninstalled (no properties other than on or off).