PDA

View Full Version : some Quick Noob Questions

robert4818
November 7th, 2008, 01:20
One of my gaming group is about to be deployed to the gulf and we are looking for a tabletop option to continue gaming.

The following are questions that may help us decide.

What is the learning curve for this software (GM and player)?

Do we need to purchase a copy of a ruleset (savage worlds) for each player, or just one for the GM?

Once the learning curve is met, at what speed/level of ease is the GM able to:
A. Prepare an adventure including importing maps/pictures.
B. Give handouts
C. Actually run the game using the software. (Assume experienced GM)

sondermann
November 7th, 2008, 02:00
What is the learning curve for this software (GM and player)?

Assuming that you know the RPG you want to play via FGII, the learning curve depends on two factors: How much automatisation (sp?) the ruleset you want to use offers and how many of those features you want to use in your game. Meaning: Many custommade rulesets consist of nothing more than a customized charactersheet. But professional rulesets and some fan made rulesets offer many features that might take a bit to get used to. But generally FGII is very intuitive for players and GMs alike. Just watch the video tutorials by Xorn and you are fine to play. You'll find those tutorials here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8769).

Do we need to purchase a copy of a ruleset (savage worlds) for each player, or just one for the GM?

No. Only the GM has to have the ruleset that will be used in play. When players connect to the GM, they download the ruleset from him.

Once the learning curve is met, at what speed/level of ease is the GM able to:
A. Prepare an adventure including importing maps/pictures.

Importing maps/images is as easy as copying the file into a specific directory.

B. Give handouts

Giving handouts or sharing anything with the players is as easy as right-clicking on the window in question and clicking on a button.

C. Actually run the game using the software. (Assume experienced GM)

This depends on many factors are you using the chatwindow in FGII as the only means of communication or do you use some kinda of VoIP software together with FGII. I for instance use Skype when I GM in FGII and the play experience is surprisingly similar to sitting down at the table and playing. Although you lack the visual clues from your players. Also I'm playing in a game that uses only the chat in FGII and while it is lots of fun there is some getting used to. Using the /act /emote and other various functions of the chat that let's the others know if you are talking out of character, describing your action, asf helps.

Again: Watch the Video Tutorials (especially the first two) by Xorn they are great at demonstrating what FGII can do and how it works. Although being d20 they lean a bit to the tactical side of RPGs and you might not want to use all the stuff he describes.

Foen
November 7th, 2008, 06:30
The other thing to note about running the game is that the GM needs to mess around a bit with the IP ports to host the game. Specifically inbound traffic must be available on port 1802.

Although it can be straight forward, it can also be quite frutstrating the first time you host a game, so it is good advice to have a practice session in advance with just one of your players to make sure you can get the setup right (the problems aren't due to FGII, but rather to firewall software and router port blocking/redirection).

In extreme cases, say if you are behind a campus firewall over which you have no control, a physical solution may not be possible and so you would need to fall back to a virtual solution like Hamachi (take a look at this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8252)).

Problems aren't too common, but they are not that rare either and I thought it best you know in advance ;)

Foen