PDA

View Full Version : Random Name Generator

sondermann
November 6th, 2008, 21:01
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to implement a random name generator in a ruleset?

Oberoten
November 6th, 2008, 21:04
Hmmmm.... I imagine it wouldn't be too hard even. Just a window with a button and a couple of fields, Ipairs and a random number would do the rest?

A data string containing a = {1,"aer", 2,"ari" } etc etc. And then a randomize string to pick the different vocalizations?

Hmmm... haven't tried but that sounds like a workable path? Any of the pros out there?

- Obe

Foen
November 6th, 2008, 22:46
I think it seems do-able, but the name-forms would differ so much from one campaign/world/continent/country to another that the data population would be a bit like hard work.

Foen

Oberoten
November 6th, 2008, 22:52
Foen said a BAD word.

Of course one could make this as an extension? With a different one for each land/culture/species?

Foen
November 6th, 2008, 22:56
The extension idea is cool - but it would be neat to have the random generator built into the ruleset and name-form vocabluary as an extension.

Foen

Oberoten
November 6th, 2008, 23:00
The extension idea is cool - but it would be neat to have the random generator built into the ruleset and name-form vocabluary as an extension.

Foen

Quite doable really if you can generate the datalist in another file... And then just replace THAT file with the extension? Or even replace the entire chunk with definition and all and just have one part of it in the ruleset... Hmmm.

sondermann
November 6th, 2008, 23:13
As I'm working on a L5R ruleset which uses japanese names, at least for me there won't be any need to switch data sources. But if anyone's interested I have some html files that include names from every realworld culture which would be relatively easy to convert (including historic cultures).

So if any of you code wizards (I'm slowly getting the hang of XML so this is far beyond my reach) wants to create a generic expansion, write me a PM.

sondermann
November 6th, 2008, 23:26
Actually I just found the site again where I got the aforementioned files from, it's Kate Monk's Onomastikon (https://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/). And as real names cannot be copyrighted, as long as we leave out the explanatory text we should be fine. Althought it would be nice if credit would be given.