PDA

View Full Version : FG2 Freezing at character screen

Spassvogel42
November 2nd, 2008, 23:52
I was in the middle of a gaming session (right now actually) and the GM posted a picture. It never loaded, and then FG2 froze up. I ended the process and restarted FG2. It loads, connects to the server, retrieves file list, and the character selection screen pops up. It freezes there.

Any ideas?

I tried reinstalling FG2 and that still didn't fix the problem.

Edit to add: one more clue: the tokens don't load in the character selection screen.

Edit to add again: Okay, I made sure to wipe the application data this time. I was able to uninstall and reinstall, but the moment that the GM posts a picture, FG2 jumps up to 50% on my CPU and the window freezes up.

The strange part is that I got the first picture he posted, but the second one is what froze me.

Spassvogel42
November 3rd, 2008, 01:50
An Update:

My GM has created a campaign. He scanned the maps and saved them all as pdf files. They worked last game session fine. This session the first one loaded fine, and the second one froze me up.

I got it so if I do freeze up from a picture he posts, then I end the process, go into the application data folder and delete the campaign from the cache. The campaign doesn't show up under campaigns though, it's only in cache. Even while I'm "in" the campaign. (as long as the GM doesn't display a picture, everything works).

So there you go. Posting a picture kills my FG2. The other guy in our party, it doesn't kill *his* FG2. Just mine.

Griogre
November 3rd, 2008, 06:47
Try letting it sit for a few minutes. It sounds like it was just lagging bad maybe because it was a huge map. For some reason the other player may have had the map cached or had a better internet connection.

Spassvogel42
November 3rd, 2008, 21:51
I was on the same network as the host in this case, that was the odd thing. The guy 1000 miles away was getting the pics before me when we were both getting them.

Strangely enough the last couple pics he posted worked again, so I don't know what the heck is going on.

Thanks for the reply...

Spassvogel42
November 15th, 2008, 22:10
Sigh. New week, same problem. He posted a map, my FG locked up.

Bleah.

I tried disabling a lot of the secondary internet security features of AVG, but that still didn't make a difference. He still had the map up when I reconnected (after deleting the cache) and it froze at the character selection screen again.

I noticed in the task manager that CPU goes up to about 50% even though it's frozen. Plus, the host still seems me as connected.

Any ideas?

ArthurLovat
November 15th, 2008, 23:42
I'm sorry, but I don't know what happened to you either, but this problem reminds me of something similar I read here.
Can it be that your harddrive (the one with your FG application folder) is full? It's just a guess...

Doskious
November 26th, 2008, 23:33
I have just experienced the same issue - Host PC running Windows XP; client PC running Vista. (Dunno it that matters.) I'm on the same local network with both machines, and as long as the Host was up (even after the map was closed), the crashed client continued to crash on load. I suspect that this may be related to either filesize of the image, or more likely something about FG Host zoom ratio or % of map displayed or straight up dimensions of the map, or whatnot, and that the client for whatever reason gets stuck trying to d/l the map. (My image was 1200x2700 pixels.) I really hope there's a useful fix, but I know that neither of my drives are full.

~Doskious Steele

Spassvogel42
March 11th, 2009, 10:41
Well, it's a few months later and I have a couple updates. I have another hard drive for my laptop that I sometimes use, that has Vista on it. (I have it set up so I can swap as needed). I installed FG2 on the Vista drive and it works perfectly, doesn't freeze up or anything, even when the GM posts maps/pictures.

However, one of our other guys now gets Blue-screens-of-death from Fantasy Grounds II, hehe. He's on XP and thinks it's a video driver issue. He usually crashes 3 to 4 times in a 5 or 6 hr session.

Hopefully we'll get it all sorted one of these years. :D

EugeneZ
March 12th, 2009, 01:22
Always use the latest drivers. Updating video drivers has resolved nearly every FG2 issue I've had in the last six months.

Spassvogel42
April 21st, 2009, 21:38
So just another update. The guy who is getting the Blue Screen of Death seems to be getting it from Skype, and not FG2. Using Skype video works for about 2 mins on his machine, then he gets a BSOD. We've gone back to (the inferior IMO) Yahoo for our voice chat and webcam.

(consequently, if anyone has suggestions for a different voice/chat program to use, I'm all ears...or eyes in this case).

I still get my FG2 killed by images as long as I'm using the XP Boot. My vista boot still works with no problems.