PDA

View Full Version : Using one PC to run Fantasy Grounds for a group

drsnooze
October 31st, 2008, 18:10
I'm sorry if this has been discussed previously, but is anyone running Fantasy Grounds as a tool for a face to face game, rather than running a client/server model over the internet? My group plays every week, and the guy who hosts has a really nice projector setup that works great. We load the maps onto his PC in digital format, and open them up in whatever graphics viewer we want. The projector displays the map onto the tabletop, and we all place miniatures on it.

So right now, all we're using the PC for is the map images. This in and of itself is incredibly useful, and it saves us (me, the DM) the hassle of having to draw out the map on the battlemat every time. However, I think with Fantasy Grounds we might be able to do more.

Unfortunately, Fantasy Grounds is really designed to have a DM client controlling the action, with player clients connecting to it. The key here is limiting information - it would be nice to be able to control the initiative tracker, for example, without displaying all the monsters' hit points to everyone. Is anyone else doing something like this? Any tips or hints for me to get this running? If it's important, we're running D&D 4E.

Sorontar
October 31st, 2008, 18:26
You can run a second instance (using same license) of FG2 as a player and use that to display the map information. That way you get the mask for the map image. That player instance can have control of multiple characters as well.

Not used a projector before for this so not sure what the ins and outs would be for you, can the projector be used as part of a dual view set up so the players see the players client and the DM sees the other screen with the DMs client?

Tenian
October 31st, 2008, 18:28
The best way to do this would be to run 2 machines.

One would be a host. This would be the DM's machine (probably a laptop). The other would be the client, this would be the projector machine. The host could still have access to everything, but the client would only have access to what the player's would be able to see. This would require a full and a lite license

It's also possible to set up 2 monitors side by side and have them work as a single large desktop. You could open 2 copies of FGII and move the windows so each is displayed on a separate screen. The monitor would contain the hosts screen, and the projector would contain the client screen. This would require only a single full license. I'm not 100% sure it will work with the projector, I'm assuming it works like another monitor. I recommend testing it.

wigwam
October 31st, 2008, 19:45
I intend to use FG2 as a GM aid. That is, instead of loads of books and paper notes, I'll have one laptop, a box of minis and a bundle of maps/tiles.

FG2 will feed me encounters, stat sheets, and so on....

Griogre
October 31st, 2008, 23:30
Depending on what you want to do you might just be able to get away with two monitors. But two Laptops back to back would be probably be easier.

Jingo
November 1st, 2008, 05:44
If you have one PC, I would connect two monitors. See my post in this thread on how I use FG to play with a table top group:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8860

Zavia/GenX
November 8th, 2008, 17:31
With totally no experience and SWAGs (scientific wild *** guesses) :

With 1 licence, i think the best is via 1 computer, two monitors(or one projector), and 2 of the FG2 program running.

Have the monitor back to back, one facing you, the other facing them. I assume you sit on a rectangle table. If its a square or small circle one, place it on some other table on your left or right, so every can see it. I reccomend LCD monitors. Ask em to bring theirs if you dont have one.

Run the game as normal, and click for them all the way. There may be a few pauses here and there as you change things in the GM screen, but it theoradically should be ok. Almost did something like this, but the group dissolved (some went overseas).