PDA

View Full Version : 2D10 Dice on Desktop Possible?

Tarostar
October 30th, 2008, 14:03
Since I've been trying for some time now with little success I wanted to ask if there is a way to change the default dice set on the desktop or add new custom dice that I can access without using the radial menu?

In particular I want to have a 2D10 dice which throws two dice and does some fancy special handling. I'm already doing the fancy handling in the dice landed function in the chat, but to throw two dice I always have to pick up the D10 and right click once to add another, and I'd like to eliminate this extra step...

Also I want one of those dice to look different, which I know is possible because the 1D100 roll shows that it is, but I've yet to figure out how it does this.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

Spyke
October 30th, 2008, 15:30
You can roll dice from a hotkey by typing, for example, /die 2d10 into the chat window and dragging it to the hotkey bar, or if you want to get really fancy just pick up the d10, right-click once to get two of them and then drop then on a hotkey slot. That way you also get fancy dice icons on the hotkey bar.

You can then right-click on the hotkey slot and choose the Edit Label button to add a label.

Spyke

Foen
October 30th, 2008, 16:31
Beyond that, there is little you can do to change the dice: some game systems don't use all of them (Rolemaster and Traveller spring to mind) but they are still stuck on the desktop.

The d100 die that rolls sometimes is built in, and not editable.

:(

Sorry

Foen

Valarian
October 30th, 2008, 16:37
You could add in double-click functionality to roll the 2d10

Foen
October 30th, 2008, 16:56
You can also add an icon to the desktop to do the same (the Rolemaster ruleset does this), but it isn't quite the same as having direct control over the dice models.

Stuart

Tarostar
October 30th, 2008, 17:01
You could add in double-click functionality to roll the 2d10

I've already done that, and it works great. I've added code to dbl-click and drag dice from the character sheet for attributes and skills and I guess I could add a ROLL-DICE field to the character sheet (and mini sheet) which only rolls 2D10. That would work well, but is not quite as satisfying as rolling the 3D dice which is a fantastic feature of FG.

I'm actually surprised that the dice are still hard coded in FGII. You would think that being able to set various dice combinations as default would be fairly high on people's wish list. In fact you would think it should be possible to do this from user options in the UI. I wonder why this was not done?

Tarostar
October 30th, 2008, 17:06
The d100 die that rolls sometimes is built in, and not editable.

:(

Sorry

Foen

So am I, how disappointing, I thought that one would be a fairly simple tweak. So there is no way to roll for example one red d10 and one black d10 by tweaking the graphics or changing the numbers on the dice when they roll?

You can also add an icon to the desktop to do the same (the Rolemaster ruleset does this), but it isn't quite the same as having direct control over the dice models.

Ah, this is better than my roll-dice field on the character sheet, thanks for the tip. But you are right, it is not as nice as having control over the dice models. My players love shaking those dice and praying to their favourite deity before rolling. :)

Tenian
October 30th, 2008, 17:08
I would assume because the cost of modeling/animating additional dice. There doesn't seem to be a lot of animated stuff in FGII so it might be very difficult within their framework or very costly for them to produce new assets.

joshuha
October 30th, 2008, 18:04
This is a request that is in their enhancement tracking system. From what I understand it involves some work for them to change the order of rendering and rulesets for the dice. At this point I would settle for at least being able to remove dice on the desktop and add custom dice using the current models but being able to specify different colors.

Tarostar
October 30th, 2008, 18:57
This is a request that is in their enhancement tracking system. From what I understand it involves some work for them to change the order of rendering and rulesets for the dice. At this point I would settle for at least being able to remove dice on the desktop and add custom dice using the current models but being able to specify different colors.

Yes, just being able to add "dice pools" where you can throw a number of dice as default would be a great enhancement.

Spyke
October 30th, 2008, 20:18
Yes, just being able to add "dice pools" where you can throw a number of dice as default would be a great enhancement.Perhaps the radial menus where you can choose the number of dice could have a "sticky" option; either by making any choice via this route permanent until changed, or by allowing a further right-click over the number of choice to give the option to either "Use once" or "Set number of dice".

Spyke