PDA

View Full Version : Can't open Story or Tokens anymore (resolved)

John Walborn
October 30th, 2008, 04:30
Okay, before I begin, let me say I resolved this issue while in the middle of getting all the information I could in order to post it here and be thorough... I decided to post it anyway in case this happens to someone else and they come here looking for answers as I did.

-----

I created a new campaign and got well into creating Story entries plus importing some custom icons, etc... I was practicing with all the software's aspects so as to make the game as smooth as possible when my players join for our first session.

I got tired for the night and shutdown the program. When I came back the next day (today), I could open my campaign just fine and everything worked except for Story and Tokens. Clicking those icons did absolutely nothing.

I delved into the XML and noted that all my data looked fine. The doc still seemed well formed and worked fine in my browser and all the data was present and accounted for.

I created a new campaign to test whether it was a problem with my campaign or the software in general went belly up... The new campaign worked fine. Though (of course) blank and unconfigured, Story and Tokens links were working fine now.

As it turned out, UNCONFIGURED was the key. I like to spread out my books and documents both in real and virtual pen and paper D&D... So I had maximized the screen for working on the campaign. When I reopened the software today, it opened in windowed (not maximized) mode.

So the links were working perfectly the whole time... But the elements I was trying to access were opening "off stage" (out of visible range of the non-maximized screen). The solution was to maximize again and move these back into range for the windowed screen. (And / or to simply continue working maximized.)

Just figured I'd finish typing this out as an FAQ to anyone who runs across this... And to introduce myself to the community with a big, fat "DOH!"...

Foen
October 30th, 2008, 07:29
Welcome to the community John, and thanks for posting your FAQ. As it turns out, this is a relatively frequent problem and is even more acute when folks change monitor sizes (or move from two monitors to just one) and cannot make the window any bigger because their monitor no longer supports a larger window.

Another fix for this issue is to delete the CampaignRegistry.lua file, as this tracks previous window sizes and positions but seldom has any essential stuff in it (so it can safely be deleted to reset the windows).

All the best

Foen