PDA

View Full Version : 4th Ed DnD One Shot: Learn to Play!

EugeneZ
October 27th, 2008, 04:17
Yup, just what the title says, I will be running a one-shot session (that might turn into a two-shot) this Friday the 31st. Anyone who wants to is welcome to come. The 4e PHB is not neccessary (though it is available as a PDF from rpg.drivethrustuff.com ) but if you do not have it, you'll be missing out on the rules of character creation. Be sure to let me know if this is the case so that I can pre-generate a character for you!

The session is currently scheduled for Friday the 31st, at 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time. We MAY do a second session if people are interested. Please sign up here.

Friday, Nov 7th, 6 PM EST
DM: EugeneZ
Player1: Mattmanhu <-- May be late
Player2: shinoco <-- Cancelled
Player3: Rathma <-- Will be @ 7:30
Player4: Akurus <-- UNKNOWN!
Player5: JonarKhree <-- Confirmed
Player6: herring <-- May be late
...waiting for more...

Entari
October 27th, 2008, 04:27
I'm in! I'm going to look over the character creation section again so hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to make a character on my own.

Quick Question: Do I need download a different ruleset than the one FG came with or is that 4e?

shinoco
October 27th, 2008, 04:57
Good news, since I only need the lite version of Fantasy Grounds I will be able to purchase a 4e Player's Handbook Friday. Looking forward to playing!!!

Tenian
October 27th, 2008, 11:50
Quick Question: Do I need download a different ruleset than the one FG came with or is that 4e?

FGII ships with a version of d20 which is closest to 3.5

Player's don't need to download the ruleset. It will be downloaded when they connect to the host. You should only need a Lite (or full) version of FGII and you'll be all set.

If you decide you like 4e, and want to host your own games, there is a fan created ruleset available on www.fouruglymonsters.com in the D&D 4th Edition FG Development group. You would need a full edition of FGII to make use of it.

shinoco
October 27th, 2008, 19:11
Well I can definately get FG lite, although I won't be able to get the 4e Player's Handbook. I almost have enough money, but I would have to order it online, and if I did it wouldn't even be here until the game is over.

For now I'll use a pregenerated character, as I still want to start learning 4e and Fantasy Grounds.

I was going to buy the PH at Books a Million, unfortunately that's nearly 40 dollars, I'd rather buy the complete 3 core book set for 66 dollars on Amazon.com, so I'm going to wait and do that.

EugeneZ
October 27th, 2008, 22:51
I'm in! I'm going to look over the character creation section again so hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to make a character on my own.

I'll definitely cover creating and managing your character, to whatever extent everyone there is interested in hearing. I just want to be sure to pregenerate characters for anyone who doesn't have a book to look up the significant numbers.

Lysander
October 27th, 2008, 23:39
Give this a try on making new 4e characters... pretty spiffy if you ask me...

https://www.tinwatchman.com/chargen/

EugeneZ
October 27th, 2008, 23:50
That looks pretty cool, but for players trying to learn to play 4e for the first time, this is the last thing they need, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing, though, I don't doubt this is quite useful. :)

Rathma
October 28th, 2008, 00:50
Alright I am in as well. I would really like to learn the basics of PnP games.

Current Roster:
DM: EugeneZ
Player1: Entari
Player2: shinoco
...waiting for more... <== Add me here. :)

Entari
October 28th, 2008, 01:47
I'll definitely cover creating and managing your character, to whatever extent everyone there is interested in hearing. I just want to be sure to pregenerate characters for anyone who doesn't have a book to look up the significant numbers.

Awesome Ill be there early if need be, I need help throughout the entire character creation process.

EugeneZ
October 28th, 2008, 03:34
Awesome Ill be there early if need be, I need help throughout the entire character creation process.

That's what I'm here for. I'll try and make it earlier, but no promises. Like I said, if you guys still don't feel comfortable with 4e after a single session, I have no problems doing a second one.

Bro.T
October 28th, 2008, 15:25
I would love to join you guys, however, Friday is not a good day for me. If you do have a 2nd go; and if it is on another night, I'd be interested.

I grew up playing pnp rpg's but I haven't played in well over 15 yrs. I'll keep an eye on this thread....

EugeneZ
October 29th, 2008, 00:02
What day would work better? The more people the better...

Phoenix903
October 29th, 2008, 01:22
I'd be up for a Fri game.

EugeneZ
October 29th, 2008, 01:49
Cool, added you to the list Phoenix. Your post was kind of sparse. Do you have the 4e PHB? What aspects are you interested in learning?

Bro.T
October 29th, 2008, 03:07
What day would work better? The more people the better...

Monday evening or Thursday evening during the week. Sat is wide open.

EugeneZ
October 29th, 2008, 03:09
Okay. I'll see if I can set up a second session on one of those days. No promises yet.

Phoenix903
October 29th, 2008, 03:14
Sorry, I've got the 4thE PHB but, I've never played fourth ed. I've played 3.5 and even AD&D, I'd like to get to see how 4th plays out. I'm also free for a Monday game if you need it.

Bro.T
October 29th, 2008, 04:23
Okay. I'll see if I can set up a second session on one of those days. No promises yet.

Cool! I also do not have a 4e PHB or any book for that matter. I was able to find a 4e Char generator online though.

Mattmanhu
October 31st, 2008, 04:20
Hey guys, I'm brand new as well. I wanna learn the ropes of FG II and D&D, such as building a character. Friday the 31st doesn't work for me so lets put me down for the second session should there be one. Thx! :)

EugeneZ
October 31st, 2008, 23:11
I've updated the first post with details about BOTH meetings. Please sign up for the second meeting if you want to be there.

As for today's, shinoco cancelled and Entari and Phoenix903 need to check their PMs... if I only get one person here today (or worse, zero) it's definitely not going to make me want to do another one. (I was hoping to make them a recurring thing).

That, or next time I should wait for at least six people to sign up in the hope of at least four of them sticking around...

Mattmanhu
October 31st, 2008, 23:26
dude that sucks lol, btw i bought a ph for 4e today.. special edition, damn its shiny

EugeneZ
October 31st, 2008, 23:45
Cool... if you've got that and Fantasy Grounds, you've got everything you need for DnD. You seem to be online, so what's wrong with today? ;)

Phoenix903
November 1st, 2008, 00:01
I'm in and DLing the ruleset right now

AsherM
November 1st, 2008, 04:31
Hi. If you decide to do the second session, I'd be interested. I'm only available Thurs and Fri after 8:30 Eastern though. I'll watch the thread to see if that works out. Obviously no worries if not.

Akurus
November 1st, 2008, 11:49
I'll also join if you guys need another. I'm free up pretty much anytime. I was a DM in some 3rd edition awhile ago. Never tryed fourth though.

I'll frequent as a player if you hold games often. I can snag a rulebook later on tonight though. I may even be able to get another player or two in if the campaign is good. :3

(Do you have a messanger Eugene? Would be awesome if you had a mic actually :3)

Mattmanhu
November 1st, 2008, 22:48
Hey how did last night turn out? Get at least 1 person showing? lol

Rathma
November 2nd, 2008, 00:59
Im just posting to say I will be there again. Combat and such. Count me in for the second one.

EugeneZ
November 2nd, 2008, 17:29
Hey how did last night turn out? Get at least 1 person showing? lol

We had two people! Heh, still, it went well, and I think I have some ideas on what worked and what didn't. We'll definitely be doing a second set.

How does next Monday (Nov 10th) sound for everyone?

EugeneZ
November 2nd, 2008, 17:33
Hi. If you decide to do the second session, I'd be interested. I'm only available Thurs and Fri after 8:30 Eastern though. I'll watch the thread to see if that works out. Obviously no worries if not.

Sorry, 8:30 EST is too late. I'd like to start at around 6 PM next time.

I'll frequent as a player if you hold games often. I can snag a rulebook later on tonight though. I may even be able to get another player or two in if the campaign is good. :3

This won't be turning into a full-time campaign. It's purely to teach people FG2 and DnD 4e. Sorry, I don't have time to do a third fulltime campaign! :(

(Do you have a messanger Eugene? Would be awesome if you had a mic actually :3)

Yeah, I'm on AIM as eugene0506 and on Skype as eugene.zar.

Rathma
November 2nd, 2008, 21:20
There is actually something important happening on that day for me but I will still try to be there. I don't have any plans but something could happen on that day in particular.

Mattmanhu
November 2nd, 2008, 23:28
Monday the 10th is cool for me, im anxious to get started. But i guess fallout 3 will tide me over til then. Let me know if an earlier session becomes available. What time zone are you?

EugeneZ
November 4th, 2008, 00:13
Monday the 10th is cool for me, im anxious to get started. But i guess fallout 3 will tide me over til then. Let me know if an earlier session becomes available. What time zone are you?

I'm in EST.

Mattmanhu wants earlier, Rathma wants a different day, so how about this coming Friday, the 7th?

JonarKhree
November 4th, 2008, 03:24
Hey i'd love to join in. Friday sounds great to me. Really looking to get a taste for the game. Havn't played before but recently got and read the 4e handbooks so ready to give it a shot. :-)

Mattmanhu
November 4th, 2008, 04:16
Cool EugeneZ, I'm lookin forward to it. I'm gonna trash those dice.

Rathma
November 5th, 2008, 03:48
Friday the 7th is great. I dont have anything to do on that day.Turns out something did come up on the tenth, so it is no longer available to me. Also is it the same time as last time? Im cool with that time if there is no need to change it.

EugeneZ
November 5th, 2008, 06:01
Well I'm gonna start at 6:00 but actually Rathma you don't need to be there until around 7:30 because I'll just be explaining the same stuff I already explained to you. If you drop in at around 7:30, we'll go ahead and start the combat.

Rathma
November 5th, 2008, 14:08
Cool. Ill be there at 7:30 then.

shinoco
November 6th, 2008, 04:49
I will be there at 6.

herring
November 6th, 2008, 17:04
I'll try to be there by 6. I'll have a freshly rolled char with me ready to go. W00t!

EugeneZ
November 7th, 2008, 04:28
Okay folks, thanks for signing up, I'm glad to have gotten my six person minimum at the last minute (thanks herring). I've sent out PMs to all of you except Rathma (you know what to do already). Please reply with your Skype username. I'll have the server up so you can connect early and download the ruleset, if you're so inclined. I'll start a Skype call at around 6:00 PM EST.

EugeneZ
November 8th, 2008, 05:29
Well, we had three people show up (Rathma, Mattmanhu, and JonarKhree), one person cancel, and two people who said they would be there just totally not even have the courtesy to cancel. This is not to mention the two people who did the same the time before.

As much as I am glad I ran these two one-shots, and I certianly don't regret it, I'm pretty sure I won't be doing them from now on. Sorry!

Akurus
November 8th, 2008, 20:13
I didn't get your message until the last minute. XD Didn't even realize I was invited haha. Well thanks anyway :3 Hope your future campaigns roll out well.