PDA

View Full Version : Newb lookin for newbs

Entari
October 26th, 2008, 08:35
I'm looking for a few other players to do the demo campaign with. TBH I'm completely new to penandpaper RPG all together, but I want to give this a try. I've got the 4.0 book here and went all through it, (also have a dm guide) also watched all the demo videos on FG2 which I dare say were excellent. I think I have a fairly decent understanding of the game and FG2 now, atleast enough to begin. If everyone else that plays is just as new as me, I'm willing to give DM'ing a try if noone else wants to. So I'm hopefully just trying to find some other people in the same boat as me.

Just post here and if we get a group together well discuss a time. Willing to play 4 whatever, just some sort of dnd, I'll get whatever book I need.

DarkWarder
October 26th, 2008, 14:05
Or maybe someone else would be willing to do a one shot game for you as DM...you never know.

Rathma
October 26th, 2008, 14:29
I am a noob as well. I would like to join your game just so I can learn the ropes. the problem is that the only time I have off from work and school are after 6:00 pm Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and all day Sunday. By the way I am in GMT -6. It sounds fun but If your on the other side of the world it might be awkward to get together.

EugeneZ
October 26th, 2008, 17:32
I wouldn't mind doing a one-shot of some sort to show you folks the ropes but two people just isn't enough. If two more people are interested, I'd do it. I'm in GMT -5 and if I DM a one-shot, it would be using 4E, via JPG's excellent ruleset.

DarkWarder
October 26th, 2008, 17:41
I'm game...depending on the time. I'm GMT -5 as well. I have 3.5 ruleset but not 4e. Would that be a huge problem?

EugeneZ
October 26th, 2008, 18:27
Well, I'm not sure if you mean the books or the FG2 module. You'll definitely need at least the 4e player's handbook, either the hardcover or the PDF. You'll automatically download the FG2 module when you connect to the session.

If you need the book, they're available for under $20 on amazon.com if I'm not mistaken, and you can also buy a PDF version from rpg.drivethrustuff.com.

If you're just looking to learn the ins and outs of FG2 and not 4e, then you don't need the 4e book. Just make sure to let me know this is the case so that I can pre-generate a character for you. We'll still be using the 4e ruleset but in terms of Fantasy Grounds, the two share most of their functionality.

DarkWarder
October 26th, 2008, 19:30
I meant the PH. I didn't know you could get it via pdf...nice. I'll keep track of the thread in case ya'll decide to make this one happen.

Entari
October 26th, 2008, 19:37
I wouldn't mind doing a one-shot of some sort to show you folks the ropes but two people just isn't enough. If two more people are interested, I'd do it. I'm in GMT -5 and if I DM a one-shot, it would be using 4E, via JPG's excellent ruleset.

This would be nice, but if you don't have the time that's fine too, It's going to be a learning experience for me, so either way I might as well just jump into it now. I'm GMT-5 as well, and wold prefer a game around 10ish or something like that, but I'm flexible as long as its after 6pm.

Entari
October 26th, 2008, 19:40
Just make sure to let me know this is the case so that I can pre-generate a character for you.

This is sort of where I need a little help, I've fiddled around making characters, but I'm afraid I'm going to spend more points somewhere that I don't actually have, or vice versa: not spend them all. I'm just worried I will do something I am not supposed to while creating a character since theres no functionality telling me when I've done something wrong. Is there a utility out there that can be used for this purpose?

Sry for the double post.

Rathma
October 26th, 2008, 19:47
EugeneZ,
I'm in as long as its ofter 6pm (GMT -6) on any day but Tues. and Wed. or Sunday all day. I am learning from the ground up in a sense. I have played video game RPG's all my life so I understand the basic concepts but it would still help to have a short learning session. If your still cool with it I thank you.

shinoco
October 27th, 2008, 03:29
If it turns out everyone is going to use 3.5e, I have a 3.5e Players Handbook, and havent had a chance to ever use it. I can play virtually anytime, and plan on buying the Full License for FG in 4 days. Eventually I'm going to get 4e
yet it won't be for at least a month.

If 4e is decided on, I will gladly play a pregenerated character.

EugeneZ
October 27th, 2008, 03:37
Okay, so we've got four people but two of them don't have 4e PHBs... so the question I have is: What exactly do you want to learn during this one shot? Be specific so that you're not dissapointed. Next, we need to come up with a time. This is always really hard. How about Friday the 31st, @ 6 PM EST?

Rathma
October 27th, 2008, 03:45
I am cool with either one. I have a .pdf version of 4e and a hard version of 3.5. So whatever we do I am able to stay. can we do 31st at 7:00 PM EST? I work until 6:30 PM EST so 6:00 is not real good for me.

shinoco
October 27th, 2008, 03:48
That time is good with me.

I'd like to learn as much of the rules as possible. Using Fantasy Grounds and knowing exactly how it functions will help so when I buy the full version I can join a normal game without slowing it down for everyone else. Really just anything I could possibly learn in a beginners game, will be helpful.

Rathma
October 27th, 2008, 03:53
shinoco,
When you say "buy the full version" do you mean of Fantasy Grounds? My understanding is that in order to play a game with more than two people you have to have at least the lite version. Just having the demo does not cut it. If that is not what you meant I have misunderstood your post and I apologize.

shinoco
October 27th, 2008, 03:56
Yes I am going to buy the Full License Fantasy Grounds Thursday night, so it won't be an issue. I had made a mistake thinking I wasn't going to have it for this game.

Rathma
October 27th, 2008, 04:01
Alright. I hope everything else falls in place.

EugeneZ
October 27th, 2008, 04:13
Yeah, we do 7:30. We'll split it off into two sessions if neccessary. Also, please keep in mind that you do NOT need the Full License in order to PLAY, only to be the DM. If you're planning to DM in the future, buy the full by all means. But if you only plan on playing, buy the Lite, it's almost half the price. And, yes, you cannot use the demo version of course.

I'm going to post a thread about this so that we can get more people who are interested.

Rathma
October 27th, 2008, 04:14
Awesome! I can hardly wait.

EugeneZ
October 27th, 2008, 22:49
Rathma (and anyone else interested), please be sure to sign up here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=65265