PDA

View Full Version : What's your style of play?

Sakusammakko
October 23rd, 2008, 22:11
I'm in the process of building some modules and was curious what people would like to play. Here's what I was thinking:

Dungeon Crawls

Get an assignment. Armor up. Kick in the doors. Get the bad guy. Grab some loot. Return to town a hero. Level up. Go again.

Would you rather play classics you've heard of or try some of the more recent dungeon crawls like those from Goodman Games?

Adventure Paths/Explorations

There's a quest. Success is determined through role-playing, intrigue and combat. The adventures are open-ended with many paths to success. Generally explore what you will and how you will. Risks and rewards are everywhere. Danger is ever present and WILL kill the unready or the unprepared (i.e. encounters may not always be 'level-appropriate' and the party must recognize this and come up with an appropriate response)

Rulesets

Castles & Crusades. Relatively easy to recreate classic modules. Reduces GM time in preparing adventures. Good for players who don't want to crunch so many numbers of keep track of some many rules.

Pathfinder. An opportunity to try the latest 3.5 rules with adventure paths like Shackled City, Rise of the Runelords, etc. or with some of the new Paizo adventures.

Iron Heroes. For those that would like to try a low-magic, high combat kind of game based on 3.5. Many more fighting classes to choose from.

4e. For now not an option from me as I think the ruleset will change and I'd prefer to play it instead.

Happy to hear your comments.

Rondor
October 24th, 2008, 16:14
Personally, I am an Adventure Path/Exporation type. dungeon crawls are great but they cant invoke the emotion like a true related campaign.

As to the ruleset, I am definitely into C & C due to the oldschool, imagination provoking experience it seems to have being lighter on rules. I also like the Idea of Pathfinder and have heard good things about it. I happen to have the print version of the beta ruleset on this one as well.

The Overlord
October 25th, 2008, 01:45
Ideally somewhere between Dungeon Crawl and Adventure/Exploration:ninja: