PDA

View Full Version : Avegost 3.5

Alyais
October 23rd, 2008, 05:57
Greetings,

For the past two years I have run campaigns based in and around a campaign setting that I have created and that my players have molded. I have deep, rich (yet unfinished!) history and cultures and as a student of anthropology the development of cultures and languages is of particular interest to me. To enhance our gameplay we use Ventrilo. I own and operate my own server which hosts Ventrilo in addition to downloadable content for my world (such as campaign setting handbooks)

I am currently running a campaign on Monday nights following a "main" storyline I also run a group locally on Wednesdays here in Savannah, Georgia.

The "Monday" or "Main" Campaign operates solely on Mondays from 6:00 or 7:00ish until 11:30-12:00ish. The group currently has 5 players after we just asked one player, who had been with us for a while though caused some upset, left. The campaign is heavily story and roleplay based. We utilize forum roleplaying, forum feedback, forum roleplayer voting (for awards such as best roleplayer of the event) and general forums for chatting and discussion. We utilize the forums heavily and "in between" event roleplay is a big part of the storyline.

While my players feel the group is of adequate size with five players I am nervous. As a result I'm currently looking for one player who is fine with during our times. Our group always decides on the next day that we will be playing at the end of the last session so nothing is ever too sudden.

Again, I am looking for One player who meets the following critera:
- Experience in roleplaying, as well as enjoying doing it.
- Knowledge of 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons.
- Willing to commit time throughout the week for forum activity.
- Willing to learn the culture, lore, and history of a custom campaign world.
- Has fantasy grounds.
- Will get, or has ventrilo (which is free).
- Has a good attitude and wants his fellow players to enjoy their time.

I am an experienced DM. I have played Dungeons and Dragons since the seventh grade and am now a Sophomore in college studying Archeology and Anthropology. I've Larped, I am an SCA member, I have played D&D 3.0 and 3.5 for many years. I develop rich storylines and typically run low magic campaigns that sit about two notches upwards in difficulty. This creates an immersible world with a lot of history, information, and challenge.

My website is at www.Avegost.com. You can e-mail me at Alyais at Gmail dot com if you're interested. Applying players simply need to inform me with their name, background, and possibly mention any conflicts (roleplaying, scheduling, whatever)

Again, applicants not greatly interested in a game requiring commitment need not apply.

Thank you.
-Joe Landolfi

Aside: As an Aside to forum moderators I did indeed post one of these a while back, though with significant differences. I apologize for the double post but wanted to have the initial post be unique to my current predicament. If this is an issue please forgive me.

Alyais
October 23rd, 2008, 15:05
History of Avegost
-------------------
Over the past several years Avegost has had several forms. I started Avegost about six years ago as a text based roleplaying game on a forum. During the time, forums such as Ayenee.com were quite large but were primarily freeform RP. I had been playing D&D now already and wanted to see the rule structure translated.

After moving to Georgia last year for college I began Avegost as a way for my group back home in Michigan to play consistently. We used the Neverwinter Night's video game and my expertise in both coding and the tool set helped to create a believable world. The party fluctuated and over time players came and went but the campaign stayed solid.

Last May my group stumbled across fantasy grounds and I immediately latched onto it. Fantasy Grounds is everything my group could want for their D&D games and so far it has worked well. I currently run two campaigns based in the 'Avegost' setting, which is a homebrew I have been working on for many years.

1. My main campaign which meets on Mondays.
2. I am hosting a game here in Georgia that does not use fantasy grounds.

As said before, this game typically requires a lot of correspondence throughout the week and is definitely a dedication. Players not looking for that sort of game need not apply.

I'm currently looking for one player to play in my main campaign. If you are interested in joining me, and several other players, please contact me at Alyais at gmail dot com.

Alyais
October 24th, 2008, 00:20
Aha, evidently I mistakenly did not say we operate on EST (-5 GMT)

Alyais
October 24th, 2008, 00:38
Questions and Answers from interested players.

Question: What are your character generation options?
Answer: Our rules for Character Creation ability scores are to roll 4d6 and drop the lowest. The maximum you can therefore have is 18 and the lowest is 3 (not accounting for racial modifiers). Players may “reroll” one OR all of their stats up to 3 times though each “reroll” will incur a -2 on the highest roll. So if I roll a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 on a reroll my 6 would become a 4. If on my NEXT reroll I roll a 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 then my 11 would become a 9 and my 10 would become an 8. To offset this, players may give themselves a +2 bonus to any –single- ability score that they feel best represents their character. This is a “hero bonus” and therefore doesn’t have to be your classes’ most important ability score. Rather, it should reflect what you feel is your character’s strongest trait.

An Avegost Player’s Handbook has been made to answer many questions of this sort and a docket for this specific campaign within my world titled; “The Coming of the Dragons” is also available. These documents answer many questions and would be required for play. (They’re downloadable from my server).

Question: What are your alignment restrictions?
Answer: Our group recently “lost” or rather “asked a player to leave” due to his overly competitive nature and knack for playing a foil to the party. While I’m a fan of character development through conflict I’m not a fan of someone ruining the fun. I’d prefer characters who are looking to be something and while their motivations need not be too dubious or heroic they would need to be compatible with my current party. I like to keep my current players happy. I do not restrict alignment but would ask for non-evil and non-evil leaning character alignments.

Question: What are the current party classes/races/alignments?
Answer: The party currently has a Human Cleric (Cloistered) of good/neutral alignment, a Human Knight of good/neutral alignment, an Elven Druid of good/neutral alignment, a Human Sorcerer of good/neutral alignment, and a Human Bard of good/neutral alignment. The party is in need of a fighter-type to assist in damage mitigation and damage dealing though other options are possible/discussable.

Question: What are you looking for as a 6th player as far as character/class/race/alignment/personality?
Answer: Truth be told we’re looking for someone who will fit well with our current players. A major point of contention we had with our previous player was that despite his friendship with us his blatant arguing over his characters ‘good’ intentions and how they justified his actions bored and agitated us all. We’re looking for a player to play a character, preferably one that will fit with a group of “hero” types. He doesn’t need to be immune to fear or beyond flaw but he should naturally be a good person, even if he has sort of strayed from the path (in the case of a neutral character). A list of playable races includes all of the base races (minus Gnomes, which do not exist in my world!) and some races which are a part of my world. With the party’s current situation a dwarf would fit well.

mattag08
October 24th, 2008, 09:02
*BUMP*

I second everything he said. Great DM, love playing in his campaigns (I'm the guy playing the Cloistered Cleric Variant). He has put a HUGE amount of time into developing Avegost as a campaign setting and it is quite brilliant. Leave it to an anthropologist... ;)

*SPOILER*

And Joe, yes the gates are still open.

spliskamatyshak
October 24th, 2008, 14:33
I second this as well. Avegost is an awesome setting and DM Alyais runs a great game.

I play the temper-elemental sorcerer :) and look forward to the game every week.

Avandar
October 24th, 2008, 17:03
What time zone do you play in? I would be interested in joining.

Alyais
October 24th, 2008, 18:15
Steve and Matt I greatly appreciate your endorsement. As for Avandar we currently play on Mondays from 7:00-12:00 eastern standard time. That's GMT -5 if you're more comfortable with that terminology.

Players store their character sheets on my server but level up between events using Charactersheets.net. This means you'll have a copy of your character sheet no matter if my computer crashes, the server is down, or I lose the memory on the hard drive.

The biggest thing I'm looking for in a prospective player is commitment. While we meet on Mondays we do a lot of in-between-game activities, forum roleplay, and discussion. Sometimes I even hold writing contests themed around my world's lore and we discuss game mechanics and alignment on the forum regularly.

I'm looking for someone who wants to be part of a close-knit community and can hold up their part of being a member. If you're interested shoot me an e-mail at Alyais at gmail dot com.

Elros Oronar
October 24th, 2008, 18:20
Yeah its an ok game :D

Alyais
October 25th, 2008, 16:34
Thanks to everyone for their interest but it appears we've found our player. Kudos to those who showed interest and if our current player falls through due to some bizarre situation I'll be sure to re-post and contact a few of you!

Sigurd
October 25th, 2008, 23:17
Good luck, It sounds like a fun campaign.

Sigurd

Alyais
January 23rd, 2009, 23:36
(This was a Mispost)