PDA

View Full Version : Updater Issues

gmkieran
October 22nd, 2008, 18:45
After the last update I posted that I had issues with my Update Notes version not agreeing with my Program version, preventing me from logging into a game session where the host had successfully updated to the latest version of FantasyGroundsII. I had the same problem with the most recent update. In both cases I had to uninstall FGII, clear my registry of several orphaned keys, re-boot my machine and then reinstall FGII from a fresh download before it actually updated to the current version. I am using XP SP2 with FireFox 3.0 as my default browser and AVG 8.0 (free) anti-virus software. Is it possible that either FireFox or AVG is preventing the updater from correctly updating the .exe files for FGII? I also noticed that the Uninstall .exe did not remove either the FantasyG.exe or FantasyGrounds.exe files. I was able to delete the FantasyG.exe file manually, but could not do the same with the FantasyGrounds.exe file until after re-booting (the system kept claiming it was in use). If the Uninstaller couldn't access/remove those files, is it possible that the updater can't, either?

Please let me know if I can provide further information. I'm hoping I don't have to go through this every time an update comes out.

Thanks!

Goblin-King
October 22nd, 2008, 18:53
There should be no FantasyG.exe file. I can't think of a plausible reason for it being generated by FG components. It is 8 characters long, which might mean that your anti-virus program or something else is tampering with the files. Did you install in the default location (i.e. program files on C:)?

Spyke
October 22nd, 2008, 21:08
I can confirm this as an issue. I also have FantasyG.exe in my program folder, with a date of 04/04/2007. I'm running XP SP3, with IE7, and am using Zone Alarm. However, I`ve not had any problems running FG II, and my update notes agree that it's 2.3.2.

Spyke

Belial369
October 22nd, 2008, 22:02
We have some issues with the stability of the program after the update, all of my friends crash very often.
Before the last update it never happened, everything was fine.
With this problem we cant play anymore.
Hope you can tell us how to solve it, because we really like FG.

Thx.

Asiel

Goblin-King
October 23rd, 2008, 05:39
We have some issues with the stability of the program after the update, all of my friends crash very often.

There were two bugs introduced with 2.3.0, but the latest update 2.3.2 should address them. Do you still experience this after updating to the latest version?

Belial369
October 23rd, 2008, 20:08
There were two bugs introduced with 2.3.0, but the latest update 2.3.2 should address them. Do you still experience this after updating to the latest version?

Yep, when i load something or when I close some map, but sometimes it crashes, even if Im not doing anything.

gmkieran
October 24th, 2008, 19:32
Yes, I did install to the default location. I have shown the FantasyG.exe file in every install to date. I have not yet updated to 2.3.2, but will definitely do so this weekend.

gmkieran
February 18th, 2009, 01:47
Haven't posted in a while, but wanted to update this thread. I continue to experience update issues, though my system is no longer creating a "fantasyg.exe" file when I update. However, I still have a disconnect between my program version and my patch notes. My program says I am currently running 2.3.5, while my patch notes show that I have updated to 2.3.6. I have confirmed with one of my fellow players, a much more experienced FG user, that at least one bug that was fixed in 2.3.6 is continuing to affect me, leading me to believe that I have not actually, successfully updated to that version, despite my patch notes. Since 2.3.5 is still running relatively well, I'm not overly concerned, but it'd be nice if the program actually updated when I ran the update engine and I didn't have to uninstall and re-install from scratch every time I wanted the latest version.

Thanks!

Wenin
May 16th, 2009, 03:45
I'm having problems updating from 2.0.12 to the most current version 2.3.6, which my friend has on his computer. When I click update, it says it downloads the package, but nothing changes.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled mutiple times.

Will attempt an uninstall, registry scrub, reboot, reinstall....

Wenin
May 16th, 2009, 03:59
A reinstallation still only gives me 2.0.12!!! GRRRR!!!
Game tomorrow... what to do?!?!

Zoso
May 16th, 2009, 04:03
Are you installing with the installer off the website here in the downloads section? It is an online installer and so should install the latest version without a need for an update.

Wenin
May 16th, 2009, 04:05
I tried the one in the downloads section, no difference in results.

Wenin
May 16th, 2009, 04:08
I just copied the files from my friends computer onto mine.... no idea what my registry looks like... but I'm able to connect to his session.

Leonal
May 16th, 2009, 04:11
If it won't update to the latest version I'm guessing there's a problem with the license key not being correct and/or legal.
I might be wrong though.