PDA

View Full Version : Tian Xia - "Under the Heavens" 4th Ed. D&D Campaign

Ienai
October 21st, 2008, 06:48
https://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z186/jdwil1981/PlayersWanted.gif

This will be a long term campaign. I am looking for dedicated players that want to adventure through a world I have created from the ground up. The games will be taking place on FG2 and I will require all players wanting to play to be able to purchase the software required to make this game be not only fun, but memorable.

The starting area will be in a region a little larger than earth's China and contain nations that are in a delicate alliance with each other. This alliance was brought forth several months back due to a united desire to explore the west. The west is a dangerous land full of mysteries protected from the settling of man over the centuries. A forest guarded by elves and a barren desert have held most of the people back from western exploration until recently. The united nations have started a war with the elves in the forests and have been pushing the elves back, clearing the forests as they go. This has allowed for a possible land route around the northern edge of a massive desert. The seas to the south are patrolled and controlled by a Tortuga like city of pirates and traders. They allow no one to cross their borders and control most of the trade between the west and east, though no one knows of this but them.

The game will be either Tuesday starting at 7pm PST and going until we decide to stop, or Wednesday with an earlier start time. All players will start as human characters, and if unfortunate events happen. Perhaps at a later time in the campaign I will allow players to play other races. Keep in mind that the humans in this world have had little contact with arcane magics. The divine magics are strong in the regions.

The classes I cannot allow just yet will be warlock, and wizard. This does not mean someone cannot learn to become a wizard or warlock, it just means that the knowledge to become one does not exist in the eastern areas.

I know this will not be everyone's cup of tea. From my last experiences of online RPGing most players were use to being hand fed items, story lines, and glory. I am a tough Dungeon Master. This does not mean that you have to roll to check for traps every five feet. Simply state that you are looking for traps and I will let you know if you find one. Most skill rolls that attempt to alter an area or that might trigger an event will be rolled in private by the player or me.

Some examples:

Find Traps: Me
Bluff: Player
Disarm Trap: Me
Diplomacy: Player
Balance: Player
Hide/Sneak: Me

I am hoping to get players that will play smart. There might be some things in a ruined tower, cave, catacomb that might be above your level at the moment that you discover it. Don't think that everything is meant to be solved instantly. I will be building story lines on top of story lines for the players to enjoy. Lets say that the party discovers a glowing ruin that a player fails the decipher script roll. The player can decide to sketch the pattern and continue to solve it at a library or ruined tower stacked with books. Granted the later would be a pretty difficult DC but it would still be doable.

Not all encounters will be fighting. I really hope some of the players that apply remember the old days, when mystery was around every corner. Could there be a trap? Or a rotted bridge over an abyss that you have to shimmy across? Or perhaps a riddle from a sinister yet brilliant wizard or npc from the distant past? While playing keep in mind that, while your characters are in fact heroes they are not immortal. Play them as you would if you would die when they did. Take your time, perhaps map half the crypt before deciding it was wise to exit, rest, and come back in the morning.

I love rich Role playing and I will reward it with amazing detail in the world that changes based on the players actions and deeds. But, know that you are not the only people affecting the world. For instance, you help rid a town of greedy soldiers. They return to their camp some bloodied, some dead. The captain claims it an attack and a threat. This could lead to the two factions eventually going to war. Be mindful of your actions, but do not hesitate to do what your character would do. At no point in time will i leave the players with no escape possible. However, bad things do happen in a game of chance.

i know this was a lot of information, and those of you that read it all... kudos. I hope that some of you decide to message me or post here with interest in this game.

I am planning on starting the game late November. This is still a bit off, but I will be getting Campaign Cartographer 3 in the next 3-4 weeks and I will want time to build up some maps for the players to enjoy. I will also be teaching myself how to use FG2 and Hopefully will have it down pretty good by the time the game starts.

Also, everyone will start at level 1. You will have 100 gold to purchase your starting gear with. No magic items, these will come later. Once I get the players selected I will release to them the different regions they can be from. With this information will be a brief history of the nation, and any special features that nation might have. I will be taking a web design class this spring and hopefully have a nice looking site up and running towards the middle of next year which will hold the adventures of the party, maps they have made and discovered, and anything else we might need at the time.

If anyone has any doubts so far, I plan on running this game for a few years and I am looking for the rare players that can go the distance. Players that can enjoying build a character to the heights of heroic measure and world changing events.

Zong Heng Si Hai - "Fortune favors the bold"

Edit: I am aware of the typo in the flyer. Unfortunately I was unable to retrieve the documents from my previous computer before it decided to break. So, please ignore that minor error.

Thank you.

Pheonix-IV
October 21st, 2008, 09:04
This sounds interesting, i can't guarantee that the time will work for me after about Februrary next year, but this sounds like it'd be an interesting change of pace.

Tenian
October 21st, 2008, 11:49
It sounds interesting, the time wouldn't work for me however.

One minor note, if you are planning on running a "low magic" setting you have to be particularly careful about a dearth of magic items. 4E monsters are designed under the assumption characters will have magic item bonuses on par with their level. If they do not, monsters will quickly become impossible to hit and the player damage will be far below what is needed. There have been a few threads about this on the WOTC forums (probably other places like ENWorld). The balance methods suggested involve either retuning the NPCs (which could be a lot of work if you are planning on using stock npcs) or applying some sort of level based bonus.

Habbalah
October 21st, 2008, 19:47
This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. I can play on Tuesday nights at the time you list, but I can't play on Wednesdays. Put me down for a rogue please.

CoinReturn
October 22nd, 2008, 00:42
Ienai, this sounds fantastic. I would definitely be interested.

ElementEvil
October 22nd, 2008, 02:59
I'm up for it. sounds great. Put me down for two weapon ranger.

Just wondering around what time you would be getting started with the campaign.

And if you need web design tools I could send you a copy of dreamweaver 8. Easy enough to build a website with even the most basic of knowledge.

Judokas
October 22nd, 2008, 04:00
Sounds very cool and is the type of Campaign I am looking for. Please mark me down. I can give any player type a go. I currently play a Ranged Ranger but wouldn't mind trying a new Char type.

Ienai
October 22nd, 2008, 18:47
Just wanted to post an update here. My father is visiting so I will look at everyone that has applied either tonight or tomorrow night.

Thank you for all the interest.

Phoenix903
October 23rd, 2008, 01:47
I'd love to be in on a Tues. game as well.

ElementEvil
October 23rd, 2008, 06:45
If your still pretty new to FGII and CC3. Perhaps its better if we all do a mini adventure out of a Dungeon magazine. Or something else thats small, and tests everything out. Help you get a feel of what a session will feel like with us.

Ienai
October 24th, 2008, 05:28
I am planning on running something similar to what you suggest. I am also watching all the sample videos i can find.

I also plan on setting up a game next Wednesday night. This will mainly be to meet everyone that is interested and get to know one another. Perhaps run through some mock fights, role playing scenes, and learn the system.

I will not be getting CC3 until the 20th of November. So, I have decided to draw the maps on paper, take a picture and upload them that way for now. I will convert them as time and my skill permits.

I would also like to thank everyone that as responded again. I am very excited to hear that there are players that want to play in a game like this.

Habbalah
October 24th, 2008, 14:48
Unfortunately, I can't game on Wednesday nights. So, I won't be there. Are all the games going to be Wednesdays?

Avandar
October 24th, 2008, 16:26
I'm interested if it's on Tuesday nights, but I can't game on Wednesday nights.

ElementEvil
October 24th, 2008, 20:09
Im sure its only the practice minigame on next wednesday.

The majority of people here including me cannot make it to regular wednesday nights.

Judokas
October 24th, 2008, 22:30
For the long term Tues or Wed works for me. I have no preference. I can make next Weds trial.

Lysander
October 24th, 2008, 23:24
Per my PM to you on 10-21, I can play Wednesday nights, 6-11pm CST

If you have an opening and I fit this schedule, let me know...

Ienai
October 25th, 2008, 03:09
The meeting is on Wednesday. Though I can host a session on Tuesday as well, If there is enough interest that is.

There will only be one game though. And I have not decided on Tuesday or Wednesday yet. This meeting along with one or two more will determine when the actual game will take place.

I'll be posting the info for the game Monday night and be setting the game up on Tuesday night around 7pm PST.

Ienai
October 28th, 2008, 08:53
Good evening everyone!

I'm still running through the tutorials... but I am making progress ^_^

rich idol able monk is the alias you can use to connect to me. I got Tuesday off so I will have the game room open early as I work on some things and test goodies out.

Hope to see some or all of you there.

Another update! I will only be able to afford CC3. Hoping for the dungeon and a few other addons for Christmas. So, until then I will be using photoshop to make a few crude maps which I will throw onto the maps. I will however be able to start working on the world map towards the end of November.

Anyway.. heading out. see you all in a few hours.

CoinReturn
October 28th, 2008, 15:23
Well, I'll definitely be there.

Edit: Having issues connecting, and you should set up the game on the Calender.

Judokas
October 29th, 2008, 00:32
I also cannot connect. If you are behind a router or firewall you will need to open the appropriate ports. I will try again in a couple of hours.

Pheonix-IV
October 29th, 2008, 01:42
Can't connect here too.

Ienai
October 29th, 2008, 03:01
hmmm I opened the ports... I'll have to look into this further and get back to this tomarrow...

There must be another firewall somewhere in my system I cant find

I'll keep working on it tonight and post if I find the error

Pheonix-IV
November 1st, 2008, 13:10
So, any word on this?

Pheonix-IV
November 5th, 2008, 08:54
Guess not, pity.

CoinReturn
November 5th, 2008, 13:09
Yeah, I was excited.

Ienai
November 12th, 2008, 04:35
My apologies about not getting back here sooner. I ran into some busy times at work and just wanted to sleep when I was done. I am still working on why my ports are still causing problems. I have been working on the game during my off time and reading up on the rules and working with the rule set for 4th Ed.

Just wanted to let everyone know I am still planning on running this and I will never let it go this long without a post again.

I am very sorry everyone. I have a three day weekend coming up and plan to get to the bottom of the connection issues. I'll be getting the first set of campaign cartographer around the 20th and start working on a world map so everyone can get a look at the known world.

Also, I have thought more about the magic subject in the game. And while it will still be low magic, I will be allowing minimal amounts. This will allow people to play the caster classes a little bit easier. If you have read any of the Shannara series by Terry Brooks you'll have a beta glimpse at what I am planning for magic use. I will start posting some of the info i have onto the forums as soon as I can get it transferred from paper to computer.

I hope I did not dishearten the eager player base and I really hope that you will all still be willing to play this game with me.

Pheonix-IV
November 12th, 2008, 06:40
I am still interested if you can get the connection issues sorted.

Habbalah
November 12th, 2008, 13:36
Have you settled on a day and time yet?

Ienai
November 12th, 2008, 18:50
I want to play either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights. I am in the PST time zone so the game times might be a little late for EST players. Keep in mind that it will be only one night a week at most. Better to think of it as one night every other week, to give me time to make the maps, and add all of the new info into FG2.

I will be working on trying to bypass the routers tonight sometime. I have not decided what time to start though.

DarkWarder
November 12th, 2008, 19:05
Ienai, if you need assistance getting your router/firewall configed I can help. I have access to a product, WebEx, that would allow me to see your desktop walk you through setting things up.

Ironskul
November 12th, 2008, 21:24
If you decide to go with this on a Wednesday I'd be very excited to get in on this. I'm in CST and available from 6-11pm here (so 4-9 for you). Guessing that will not go late enough. Let me know if you want me. Mostly interesting in doing a 2wpn/all around ranger or rogue forward scout concept. Three cheers for a game that won't just be here's the party and here's some monsters....fight!

JMOxx75
November 13th, 2008, 00:02
I don't know how I missed this post. The time works for me, I'm in the eastern time zone so even on Thur it would only be 10pm for me. When it comes to characters I have been playing this game since 1985 so I can play whatever is needed by the group.

Oh and when it comes to maps check out this site. (https://www.zombienirvana.com/) I made some pretty cool maps IMO and I am not skilled with photoshop at all. Just FYI.

Ienai
November 13th, 2008, 08:50
Ienai, if you need assistance getting your router/firewall configed I can help. I have access to a product, WebEx, that would allow me to see your desktop walk you through setting things up.

While I thank you for the offered assistance. I don't think allowing you access to my computer would be in the best interests of safety. No offense meant.

But, I am planning on running a few tests tomorrow night around 8pm PST. If anyone would be free and want to try and connect to the server I am hosting I will post the info after loading the game up.

Thank you everyone for your continued patience and excitement.

ElementEvil
November 14th, 2008, 19:18
You could always hard reset your router, resetting the pass if you forgot. Log into it via browser. (Need to know which port FG uses) Make sure that port is free.

If your using XP or Vista you should be able to go into your security setting for specific programs and tell the computer you want FGII restrictions lifted.

and by the way DarkWarder, Windows comes with Remote Assistance, which is exactly the same thing. Why would you need a third party prog?

Ienai
January 4th, 2009, 20:28
***Update***

Just wanted everyone to know that my work hours have changed a little. I am still working on the campaign and setting up stuff in FG so when the time comes to start looking for players and start gaming I will be ready. I fixed my router problem.

I'll try to make an update once a week.

Ienai
February 6th, 2009, 01:26
wow... a week turned into a few weeks. Sorry about that everyone still keeping an eye on this thread.

After reading the 4th ed books i have discovered that to not allow magic would hinder the game play significantly. So, i will be opening up all the classes and allowing items of magical powers to be found. However, I am thinking about limiting the creation of the magic items... so finding an exquisite weapon may have damage modifiers and to hit modifiers... but may not be considered magical... it could just be crafted by a master smith.

So... now that most of the reading is done I begin working on the modules. I ran into a few financial problems and cannot afford the map editor yet... But, I might be able to afford it soon. Until then... the maps will be drawn with my crude skill with Photo Shop :P

Anyway, for those that are interested... the game time has changed due to a schedule change with my work. I would like the game to be run once a week on a day chosen between M-Th starting at 6pm PST and running until no later than 11pm PST.

Also, for those that have had continued interest in this game. Have faith. this project of mine will get off the ground and I'm hoping it will run for at least a year if not more. Anyway, back to being sick :cry:

Ienai
June 27th, 2009, 20:33
Woooo! Man it has been a rough few months! How about that recession ehh? Anyway, things have finally settled enough that I was able to pick up my campaign again. Yay! I will be working on getting my hosting problems fixed this weekend and I will be ready to start recruiting players next week. I will be hosting this game Monday night. The game will start at 9pm PST and run until 12am PST. If you even have doubts about not making these game times please don't apply.

I will have a map completed today or tomorrow and post a link to the picture of that map.

I will continue to make updates on the first post. Please look to there for anymore updated info.

Pheonix-IV
June 28th, 2009, 06:43
Awesome :D

Ienai
June 29th, 2009, 04:46
I can't seem to find the edit post button. So all updates will happen in the latter part of the thread.

Here is a link to the Map of Tian Xia.

https://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/ienai1981/TianXiaMap.jpg

I was unable to find time to work on the connection issues I am having. Seems my router/modem is what is causing the problems. I will be contacting the company tomorrow morning to see if there is anyway I can just disable the firewall it has or make it so it just transfers the IP I choose through.

Pheonix-IV
June 29th, 2009, 06:17
Just a note; the new 'test connection' button isn't neccesarily accurate; it says it fails for me, but i got a friend to try and connect after it said that and he could connect just fine.

Assuming you're using that, i suggest testing with people. If you test with people and it still doesn't work then yeah, you've probably got a router issue and need to forward some ports.

Ienai
June 29th, 2009, 07:41
Will keep that in mind when I make the call tomorrow morning. Thanks for the info! ^_^

Ienai
June 30th, 2009, 03:31
Going to open a server and leave it open. If anyone tries to connect please let me know if you were able to connect or not.

alias is 'cold user quiet echo'

Chris
June 30th, 2009, 03:57
I wasn't able to connect. I tried several times around 7:40 PM PST (-8 GMT).

Ienai
June 30th, 2009, 04:13
thanks Chris.. guess I need to call them again *sigh* I hate router modems...

I think I got the problem fixed. I can host games on Warcraft III now. I will open up another room. Please try to join and let me know if it works. I got the 'Success' outcome from the test

Alias: cold user quiet echo

I will try to check it every 30 minutes if anyone is intersted in talking.

Pheonix-IV
June 30th, 2009, 06:26
I do believe i have successfully connected.

Chris
June 30th, 2009, 06:37
I tried again at 10:30 PM (GMT -8) and was also successfully able to connect. Please feel free to contact me by PM or email if you need another player, whether for a campaign or a one-shot.

Ienai
June 30th, 2009, 07:35
woot! God bless static IPs! That was the problem the whole time!

Thank you everyone for the very uplifting information!

I will be hosting an open session tomorrow night from 9pm-12am and on Wednesday night as well while I go through the tutorials for FG2 and begin to setop monsters and npcs. Feel free to drop in any time between those hours to ask questions about Tian Xia and if you can make game nights, Monday from 9pm-12am PST, ask about character creation and other such matters.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone! And thank you again for helping me out with the connections.

Ienai
July 1st, 2009, 02:02
There is a 25% chance that I wont be able to make it on tonight until much later than expected. If that is the case I apologize. I will try my best to get home in time to open the room.

Ienai
July 1st, 2009, 03:40
Cool! I'm here. Hosting the server now. 'cold user quiet echo'

I will be active around 9pm PST

Ienai
July 1st, 2009, 07:45
Tonight went well! Thank you Phoenix and Chris for stopping in and talking. I will have the room up again tomorrow night as I start to fidget with FG2 and start working with the tools provided by this excellent program.

Until then, everyone have a great day!

Chris
July 1st, 2009, 19:18
Nice chatting with you too. You have a great day too.

Chris

Ienai
July 2nd, 2009, 05:34
I will not be able to load up until after the 4th. Sorry for any ruined expectations. I will be hosting another room up on the Monday the 6th.

Necromik
July 5th, 2009, 22:20
Hey Man

It sound you are finally getting there.

I would like to discuss with you about how the game is going or will be?

What time are you guys playing? Could I at least be a guest?

Thanks

PS: I will send you a PM with my contact information!

Pheonix-IV
July 13th, 2009, 03:34
So has this gone and died again?

Ienai
July 16th, 2009, 08:19
No no no. Sorry about my absence. Just adjusting to some things that have sprung up. I am still planning for the game to take place on Mondays. Just working on a few things. This campaign is a long time comming but it will come. All I can ask is that you be patient.

Iconik
July 17th, 2009, 05:57
Wow this sounds awesome.

Ienai
July 24th, 2009, 02:46
For those that are wondering still... I will be hosting a room next session. Again, sorry about delays. Just about finished reading the DMG as well "Woot!"

Ienai
July 28th, 2009, 07:02
Bleh I was held up tonight. I got some more work down on paper as I sat through a boring event my friend forced me to go to... more updates comming soon ^_^

Necromik
July 29th, 2009, 22:16
Hi there Ieanai I was just wondering if you guys are still playing and if I could take a look on your game one of this days.

What time are you playing? still the same from the beginning of the thread?

Ienai
August 7th, 2009, 02:54
Why Hello.

The game has not started yet. The game time will be every other Monday night from 8pm PST to 12pm-1am PST.

I am still learning how to use Fantasy Grounds II. I want the experience to be smooth and entertaining. This has been in the making for almost a year now and I do not want to rush anything and spoil all the work I have put into it already.

Thank you for your interest and I will update this post as soon as I am ready to accept character applications.

Rift
August 8th, 2009, 05:47
Somehow I get the feeling that this game is never going to happen. :(

Ienai
August 10th, 2009, 16:37
Such little faith. Is this what the internet gaming community has come to? I've seen games that sprout up over night only to disintegrate within a month. I am building this game to last at least a year in game time. Also, I have been learning the new systerm, dealing with financial problems, supporting family members, still trying to have a social life, and preparing to go back to college. Yes, life has been a little busy and I am not sorry that I did not shelve my life to speed things up here.

It will be ready when it is ready. And I am really hoping to start this before November this year.

Pheonix-IV
August 11th, 2009, 09:20
Hay, i'm waiting patiently! :P

November would work out pretty well for me, since that'll be right at the start of my end of year holidays.

Ienai
September 18th, 2009, 08:06
Wanted to throw out and update. It has been awhile and things have really gotten crazy around here. Thankfully I've found myself with a bit of extra time recently. Though I am starting my Angels Sanguine army, they are a relatively easy paint. This will leave me some extra time each weekend to start working on things that have had to be put on hold. Namely, the self teaching of Fantasy Grounds.

I'll be posting updates about every 4-6 days with links to cool little tidbits about the world and their relevance to the players.

Ienai
October 13th, 2009, 02:50
Just wanted to throw up an update!

Almost ready to go!

I am ready to start accepting character concepts. Please either pm me or email me your character concepts. Just need answers for the following questions.

What class did you want to play?
What type of player are you? (descriptions and a list can be found in the DMG)
What will be your characters 'main' life goal?

-Keep in mind that this is a Low-Magic world.
-Humans are the only allowed race.
-Depending on your starting area, I will switch exotic weapons. Example: If you come from Catorne you would be more proficient in Asian weaponry and less in the European weaponry.
-aspiring to be a user of the magic of legends is okay. Just don't expect to be using it from the get go. It will take time, research, and damn good role playing on your part.

**NOTE** My hours may be changing due to my current position no longer being needed. For now, I do not foresee this being a problem. However, if I get stuck with the earliest shift I will need to shift the play time down 1 hours. So, Mondays from 6pm-9pm PST. But for now the game time will still be 7pm-10pm PST.
- PM me for my email address

Remember character concepts are VERY important. Don't rush things. I will be accepting CCs for two weeks or more if there are still spots open. I will also be conducting group interviews to see if we can all get along. After all.. if we can't have fun outside the game we wont have fun inside.

And good luck to you all!

Eagerly awaiting CCs,

Ienai

Kastree
October 13th, 2009, 03:19
NM wrong posting

Necromik
October 14th, 2009, 17:15
How many players do you already have?

Ienai
October 15th, 2009, 22:32
How many players do you already have?

I am going to say that all slots are open until I pick the five players that I think will fit the campaign best. I will not update this. If you apply your application will be reviewed, and considered for a position. I don't want people not applying because they think they will not get a spot in the game. Apply. Then I will decide who plays and who does not.

Another thing to keep in mind about players I do accept. If I am unable to find enough suitable players I will postpone the start date until I can find players that will fit. I will not be accepting everyone on a whim as I want this to be a campaign that lasts about a year or more.

**NOTE** People are forgetting to answer the questions I posed. I understand that applying for a game can be nerve-racking sometimes... Take a deep breath and calmly read through my posts. ^_^

I'll post the questions again here.

What class did you want to play?
What type of player are you? (descriptions and a list can be found in the DMG, I'll put the list in a new post later tonight. (lunchtime is over :( ))
What will be your characters 'main' life goal?