PDA

View Full Version : SWSE Skin

RuzeII
October 20th, 2008, 18:37
This is a set of skins I made for my SWSE ruleset, and the conversion I'm working on from 4e_JPG.

SWSkins v1.1 (https://www.mediafire.com/?d0zjntmimzh), removed d20 logo file and changed the names of the 'indextitlebox.png' files to 'indextitlebox01.png' in the instance that users are using a different ruleset than SWSE_R or SWSE_II

Four skins are included with this file, including a very bright white skin, a grey skin, a black skin, and the default skin built by GoOrange. You should have all the icons needed to run this even in 4e_JPG's ruleset, or compatible ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
To install, first make sure you backup your /frames/ and /icons/ directories in whichever ruleset your using (yes, this should even work for other rulesets). Then, unzip this file using WinZIP or a related program, and place it somewhere you'll remember (I highly recommend within the /appdata/ or /rulesets/ folder, but I do NOT recommend placing it within the ruleset itself, as it will cause far longer downloads per session).

Next, copy the /frames/ and /icons/ folder from the particular skin you want to use, and paste it in your ruleset of choice (usually /swse/, /swse_II/ or /swse_r/).

Load your game like normal, no need to make a new campaign.

Hope you enjoy. And yes, I'll be following this thread in case of any bugs or issues. Or, just to bath in the admiration of my adoring fans. Preferably the latter ;?)

Spyke
October 20th, 2008, 19:23
Nice work; congratulations to both you and GoOrange.

The graphics work well with the GURPS ruleset (see attached screenshots), but you'll also need to overwrite the cs_logo.png file in the icons folder with the one from the GURPS ruleset if you don't want the d20 logo on your sheet.

RuzeII, it would be great if each of these could be wrapped into an extension. This would enable you to leave out any graphics that are present in the default SmiteWorks ruleset, making the overall size of each skin smaller, and it would also make it easier for people to load the skin. If you want to know how to do this, or would like me to do it for you, let me know.

Spyke

Spyke
October 20th, 2008, 19:27
I've only spotted one issue with GURPS (this may not be one with the SWSE ruleset). With the default d20 ruleset and GURPS, the headings for the Library and Module windows are generated as part of the code, and so overwrite the LIBRARY title you have on the graphic. See attached screenshot.

In these rulesets, where the same graphic is used for both screens, it has a blank title box to accept the text.

Spyke

RuzeII
October 20th, 2008, 19:48
First, yes, I would like to know how to turn them into an extension. I guess. Though I'm not real sure what your talking about, anything to make the file work better, I'm up for.

Secondly, I ran into that issue with the SWSE_R and SWSE_II rulesets I'm modifying, and just took out the text. Oversight on my part, as those texts are still there if anyone uses any different rulesets. I might have to rename the initial file, so that it neither overwrites the standard file most rulesets use (indexboxtitle, I believe), and then change it in the SWSE_R and SWSE_II uses. This would obviously mean that other rulesets would be able to use those files without changes.

Thanks, though. And I appreciate the thumbnail uploads. Very kind of ya.

RuzeII
October 20th, 2008, 19:49
By the way, is GURPS based off the old Uni system?

Spyke
October 20th, 2008, 20:01
By the way, is GURPS based off the old Uni system?No, though both are generic systems. GURPS has a long history stretching back to the mini games of Wizard and Melee in the early 80s, which evolved into mini role-playing rules called the Fantasy Trip, and ultimately to GURPS (now in its Fourth Edition).

Spyke

Spyke
October 20th, 2008, 20:07
... I might have to rename the initial file, so that it neither overwrites the standard file most rulesets use (indexboxtitle, I believe), and then change it in the SWSE_R and SWSE_II uses. This would obviously mean that other rulesets would be able to use those files without changes. ...
A better way might be to separate it into two graphics and have the SWSE rulesets add the nice bold title with the second graphic, which the default ones would leave out.

Extensions are basically your frames and icons folders with one or more xml files that set up the graphics in the code, but zipped into a single package that can be loaded via the new start-up screen with the latest version of FG2 (see the Skins (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9104) thread for some examples).

I'll package one of these up for you to show how it's done (mind you, I suspect the same header files will work for all four of these).

Spyke

RuzeII
October 20th, 2008, 20:19
Alright, the first was a real quick fix. Again, just changed indexboxtitle.png to indexboxtitle01.png. With a minor edit to my SWSE_R and SWSE_II graphics.xml files, they work with the changes, while other users don't have that problem.

Hmm. Since I've already done that, and your GURPS and GoOrange's SWSE both use text inputs, then I probably could just do a quick save of indexboxtitle.png without text (I keep all my .pdfs, so I mean, quick as in less than a minute). That way, any other program will use my new box, but the old setting. That'll work, I think.

But I won't update the file until I figure this extension bit out. Happy to see how that works. I would love to be able to include a small 'options' graphic so that the skin can be changed in-program, but I don't think FG can handle that. Might be wrong though. Never can tell.

Spyke
October 20th, 2008, 20:35
... I would love to be able to include a small 'options' graphic so that the skin can be changed in-program, but I don't think FG can handle that. ...Extensions allow the skin to be altered freely on start-up, though you can't switch once the FG2 session is actually running.

It takes a bit of time to identify which graphics are used in the skin and index them in the xml; I may not have time to be able to get this done before the weekend.

Spyke