PDA

View Full Version : Stories, Encounters, Items and Personas went poof

Lee S.
October 20th, 2008, 18:23
I don't know what happened here but I was ran a session mid last week and everything was fine. I closed the session normally with no errors. I attempted to open the same campaign and do more work on the stories and other aspects before exporting it as a module but to my surprise, everything was gone! I'm using the 4E ruleset from 4 ugly monsters in case that affects anything.

It's not that there's a lot of work involved in this particular moduel but that it's really annoying tha tI'll have to begin from scratch again and don't want to lose it all. Yes, I was saving pretty regularly when I created all the initial pieces and no, I didn't delete them or the campaign.

Spyke
October 20th, 2008, 19:43
It's possible that you were entering data into the module pages of a campaign with the module open, rather than into the original campaign you used to create the module. This data isn't saved when you exit, or when the module is closed and re-opened (so that modules can be re-used).

To update the data in a module you have to edit the original campaign file and export the module again.

If you're sure you were working with the original file, then can you give us more detail about exactly what happened? Did all the data disappear or just the items you were working on in that session? Could you still see the Story, Personality and Item windows? Did you have items on separate category tabs? Did you have any other modules or extensions loaded?

Spyke

Griogre
October 20th, 2008, 20:01
Another possibility is that even if you were in the right campaign if you had been editing the campaign's db.xml file directly and it was not well formed when FG parsed in the db.xml it hit the error and stopped parsing at or around error - effectively truncating the db.xml file where the error was. If you exited out of FG after this happened it would then have re-wrote the db.xml to match the truncated data. This would effectively delete all the data after the error.

If this is what happened you can recover up to the last time an adventure module file was made by unzipping the adventure module and extracting the db.xml and copying it over the tuncated db.xml file in the campaign.

Lee S.
October 21st, 2008, 00:10
Actually, I wasn't using any modules yet and this all happened after I had successfully completed running the adventure session. I came back a few days later (today) and poof, it was all gone with only the chatlog as proof anything was ever there.

Spyke
October 21st, 2008, 08:54
Hmm. Odd. Did you get a warning about a bad exit from FG2 when you first logged back in?

Tenian
October 21st, 2008, 11:15
Have you opened the actual db.xml (or the backup) in a text editor and looked for the data there?