PDA

View Full Version : Player can't see maps all the sudden ??

antiduke
October 17th, 2008, 16:41
I have been running a campaign on Fantasy Grounds once a week for about 9 months now. Things have been running very smoothly until last night. One of my players is no longer able to see any of the maps or player portraits. The other three players can all see them, as can I. In addition, she lost all of her "clickable" buttons down at the bottom of the screen. She could see the tokens on the maps though (I'm guessing because those are saved on my computer?)

We can't figure out what caused this. The player is also my wife so I know she didn't mess with any of the folders or anything like that. When I try to share a map, she gets the little loading screen which eventually goes away and she is left with a blank map.

I should also point out that if she tries to redo her buttons (the 1-12 keys at the bottom) they are gone next time she logs on.

I tried making a module out of my campaign and sent it to her but that didn't work, plus I don't know why I would have to do that anyway.

Any thoughts/suggestions??

Griogre
October 17th, 2008, 17:48
How's the hard drive space on her computer? Does she run more than one character?

It sounds like she has two problems to me, unless she is out of hard drive space.

1) On the maps her cache file could be corrupt. I would delete the cache file. It is kept in Fantasy Grounds Application Data folder which you can find by pressing the start button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data. Once the folder pops you should see a list of folders. Go into the cache one then look for a folder with the name of the campaign you are running. Inside you should see a file called campaign.dat - probably a pretty large file. Delete it, this is the cache file.

2) On the "clickable buttons" most people call them hot keys. Hot keys are stored in a file associated with the character. If she has more then one character and opens another character the hot keys may change. You can see if she still has a file and under what character by going to the data application folder again for FG. This time look in the campaigns folder and find the name of your campaign. Open that folder and look for a folder called usersettings. You are looking for a file that says hotkeys_XXXXXX where XXX is her character's name. See if one is there or whether there are several. These files should be tiny.

antiduke
October 17th, 2008, 19:05
Success!

Thank you so much for the tip about the cache file. That was indeed the problem. I didn't realize she had such little free space on her hard drive. A few old programs taking up unneeded space.

As for the buttons, I looked and there isn't a usersettings folder in her campaign folder. But until last night her buttons were there every time with no problem. It appears to be fixed now though. I just went in and changed her dice color, added some buttons and they were still there when I exited and came back.

Griogre
October 17th, 2008, 19:46
Glad it worked. Cache files can get pretty large for long running campaigns. They are the sum of every different map or image the GM has ever shared plus other data. In the Shackled City game I am playing in before I got a new computer, the cache was several hundred megs - the DM of that game likes big colorful maps with a 50 pixel grid.

antiduke
October 17th, 2008, 23:40
Ya some of my maps were pretty large, and over the course of 8 months it had gotten pretty large (around 300mb).