PDA

View Full Version : Using 'Options' from another module ...

RuzeII
October 15th, 2008, 20:29
I'm currently personalizing a SWSE module. I didn't write it, but it suits my purposes well enough. So I started simple, changed some icons, felt real proud of myself. Next stage, I put character portraits in chat, and then edited token sizes to 50x50. Again, I feel accomplished.

Now I'm looking at a 4e ruleset, and there is a specific page 'Options', as well as some extended functionality in the character screen, and whatnot ... and I would like to have this in my SWSE ruleset.

First, adding the 'character portrait' into the character sheet (in place of the d20 image).

Second, adding the 'options' screen, which has such cool functions as showing the GM all whispers, showing GM dice rolls, etc, etc.

Man, what do I need to do to have these functions?

RuzeII
October 15th, 2008, 20:47
Not that anyone's replied yet, but that doesn't stop me ;?)

So I completely copied the 4e module, renamed it, and then inserted my personal edits for frames, icons and fonts.

What that leaves me with is all the options and such (including wonderful stuff like portraits in chat, etc), but it also leaves me with a character sheet which is not for my ruleset.

What's worse, this character sheet has a LOT of functions that are wonderful. But it just doesn't add up. Now I need to figure out how to get in there and use the base from the previous SWSE character sheet, with some of the nicer functions of this one.

I don't even know a thing about coding. I couldn't get a simple library module to work. I'm so screwed ...

Griogre
October 15th, 2008, 23:08
Character Sheets are usually the one of most ruleset specific items the other being the combat tracker, so trying to mix and match character sheet features is usually not going to be real easy. Eventually the Foundation ruleset project may make this easier as rulesets become build on a common "chassy" which would make it a lot easier to add and removed features. Until that happens though you aren't going to be able to combine things from most rulesets with getting your hands real dirty.

RuzeII
October 16th, 2008, 00:17
Yeah, I'm running head first into that issue right now. If I just knew how things *worked*, I might be able to do it.

The SWSE ruleset I have was built or at least released by GoOrange. I'm not sure who made the 4e ruleset, but the ruleset name is 4E_JPG ... and I'm willing to hazard that the JPG is probably an authors initials, might be wrong.

So, I made small changes that worked out fine. I changed the notes sheet to incorporate description and language sections. And I edited the header at the top to reflect the SWSE basic header (replacing 'race' with 'species', etc). All easy stuff, and I felt pretty accomplished.

But 'Notes' is about the only one that has really worked. 'Notes' and 'Abilities'.

When I try and replace the "powers" xml with the original from the SWSE set (which does all I need it to do), it displays nicely, no popup errors, but I can't right-click and create a power.

And of course, my attempts on the main sheet, combat and skills were failures.

I have a feeling that I can't simply replace the .xml documents with the originals, without either editing another .xml document, or replacing a .lua script from the original SWSE ruleset. However, finding out where the errors are happening, or what files I need to replace? That's not going so well.

I need a smoke ...

Foen
October 16th, 2008, 06:30
Hi RuzeII (and welcome to the forums)!

Unfortunately you cannot easily mix and match between rulesets as there are links between the various files (such as script names in an XML file which refer to a Lua file), but it sounds like you already have a good grasp of what's going on even if you don't think you do.

It might be worth continuing work on your previous modified SWSE ruleset while you continue to learn, and taking a look at JPG's 4e and other folks' rulesets to see how things are done. BTW, 4e is by JPG, who is moon_wizard on these forums.

As regards Options (called Preferences in the Foundation ruleset) there are two aspects which need to be built. The first is a mechanism for storing and displaying preferences, and the second is the particular functionality for each one (such as the player-to-player whisper functionality, which isn't in the standard ruleset).

Please feel free to post code snippets and questions and we'll try to help out.

All the best

Foen