PDA

View Full Version : Noob question

Kbo42
October 10th, 2008, 17:29
Hi,
I just happened upon this site and I think this program would be really fun to use. I have a question which has probably been asked a hundred times already. If I want to DM do my pc players need to buy the full licensed version or is lite all they need? Also to do some bought quests need all players to have a licensed copy?

Thanks

Griogre
October 10th, 2008, 17:39
The full version of Fantasy Grounds is required to host (run) a game. The full version can either host a game or be a player in a game.

The lite version of Fantasy Grounds only allows someone to play in a game.

There is *no* upgrade from the lite to full version. If someone thinks they will *ever* run they should get the full version. The differance is like $10-$12.

Everyone has to have a copy of FG to play in a game, of one version or the other. The store on this site gives a discount for buying multiple copies. Because of this when I originally bought FG, I bought it for my entire group (after talking to them, of course) on a credit card and had them use pay pal to pay me. As their payments hit, I sent them a license.

I suggest you try the demo and ask questions before you buy.

zabulus
October 10th, 2008, 20:26
As for your other question, only the host needs a license for any modules (adventures) you bought. Be advised that FG2 only comes with rules for D20 play, some modules require you to buy a so-called ruleset first (also, just for the host, the players' computers will download the required files from the host upon connecting.

Kbo42
October 10th, 2008, 23:13
Thanks guys

seikosat
October 16th, 2008, 22:50
Just to clarify.
There is a lite version for the players and is $10 -$12 less. So for example, our GM will by the full version then the players need to buy the lite version. After than our GM can make custom scenarios for D&D 4th edition games.

Q1: We might have each player using 2 characters. Do we have to buy additional lite versions?

Q2: Do we need anything else to play D&D 4th edition?

RiverRat
October 16th, 2008, 23:18
There is a lite version for the players and is $10 -$12 less. So for example, our GM will by the full version then the players need to buy the lite version. After than our GM can make custom scenarios for D&D 4th edition games.

Correct.

Q1: We might have each player using 2 characters. Do we have to buy additional lite versions?

No. The lite version will allow each player to have multiple characters.

Q2: Do we need anything else to play D&D 4th edition?

A 4E ruleset, which can be found at the D&D 4th Edition FG Development group at Four Ugly Monsters. You will have to purchase (or find) the reference material separately (PHB, MM, etc.) to enter manually or use one of Tenian's parsers, which can be found in the same group.

Hope this helps.