PDA

View Full Version : New DirectX problem

Callum
October 9th, 2008, 13:52
After using Fantasy Grounds II for over a year without any issues, and not having changed my machine's configuration that I'm aware of, I suddenly get an error message every time I try to run it. It only gets as far as the loading splash screen, and then an error box titled "Could not initialize DirectX" pops up, saying "CreateDevice failed!" Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions? I'm running XP with SP2 on a 1.73 GHz Pentium with 521 MB of RAM.

Sorontar
October 9th, 2008, 14:03
After using Fantasy Grounds II for over a year without any issues, and not having changed my machine's configuration that I'm aware of, I suddenly get an error message every time I try to run it. It only gets as far as the loading splash screen, and then an error box titled "Could not initialize DirectX" pops up, saying "CreateDevice failed!" Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions? I'm running XP with SP2 on a 1.73 GHz Pentium with 521 MB of RAM.

Have you updated any drivers recently?

Callum
October 9th, 2008, 15:43
Have you updated any drivers recently?
No - not manually. Some automatic updates may have taken place, I guess.

Is there any way to check what might be causing the problem?

Oberoten
October 9th, 2008, 16:17
Reinstall DirectX. Then check the DXconfig.
It might be that something has corrupted the drivers.

Finally... If you can, check so the graphicsboard hasn't been damaged.

Callum
October 9th, 2008, 16:34
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I just tried starting FG again - without changing anything - and it worked! So I guess it was one of those weird intermittent errors...

RiverRat
October 9th, 2008, 17:20
I had this problem several times last weekend. Sometimes it would work once. Then not next time I opened FG to test something. The problem would go away with a restart.

Avery Tosscobble
March 10th, 2009, 19:26
I just got & downloaded FGII & am getting this same error, but I have yet to get it to work. I tried uninstalling & reinstalling FGII & Directx 10 still get the error message! I've rebooted several times also.

Griogre
March 10th, 2009, 21:21
As I remember DirectX10 is for Vista. You don't have XP do you?

Avery Tosscobble
March 10th, 2009, 21:29
I'll bet that's what's wrong! I've got XP. I'll try uninstalling that tonight when I get home. Thanks!

Avery Tosscobble
March 11th, 2009, 05:45
Ok, I've tried uninstalling directX and reinstalling DirectX 9.oc. I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled FGII (multiple times...) I'm about ready to throw the whole damn thing out the window and shoot it with my 12-ga!! :mad:
I've searched Google for solutions and keep coming up short on this one.
Please help (before I reach for the shotgun...) ;)

Sigurd
March 11th, 2009, 06:04
My best advice is not pretty. Rebuild.

If you can find a trick go for it, you've got nothing to loose. DX plays with a lot of central stuff in windows and its entirely possible you cant cleanly downgrade back to 9.0c

Sigurd

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong but if you rebuild you will be on a steady track to a clean system - no hunting, no false steps. Its much less frustrating and you end up with a system you can rely on.

Griogre
March 11th, 2009, 09:08
I have to agree with Sigurd here. Years ago when I was in QA I wrote a procedure on how to roll back DirectX. I don't remember it specifically but you have to mess with the registry and pull and/or revert certain system files.

Honestly, by the time you figure it out yourself you could have re-installed Windows - especially since there is a chance you might blow it the first time and have to mess around with it more, or botch it badly enough that you end up re-installing Windows anyway.

Avery Tosscobble
March 21st, 2009, 01:35
Okay... I'm STILL fighting this problem. :mad: For reasons known only to the computer Gods, I have not been able to reinstall XP (long story mostly due to a wierd build design by my EX-brother-in-law). Anyway I'm sick of this computer and am designing a new one to build.

Now, my question is: If I build one with Vista and install the latest and greatest video card that comes pre-loaded with DirectX 10 will FGII work with that? Or does FGII only work with DirectX 9?? :confused: Because I've been looking on Newegg and I'm not seeing very many options to buy a Graphics card that is still DirectX 9. OR... Does that only mean that those cards are compatible with DirectX 10 and that I can still install/use DirectX 9?

Thanks!

Griogre
March 21st, 2009, 02:32
DirectX 10 is for Vista machines. I've been using it and running FG on it since before FG2. The only problem you are going to have with a new computer/video card is probably with an intergrated one. Lots of the intergrated ones are on laptops and they are more worried about energy conservation than power on laptops.

Avery Tosscobble
March 21st, 2009, 02:38
Great!!! :D That's what I wanted to hear! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to build a new hot-rodded computer only to end up still having issues with FGII. ;)

Thank you!!