PDA

View Full Version : Linking between Modules (and other Questions)

sondermann
October 9th, 2008, 12:04
Hi FG community,

For my L5R campaign I'm trying to convert the 'City of Lies' boxed set to Fantasy Grounds II. The set contains multiple books, two of which are meant as player handouts and the other two are meant for the GM.

I figure if I want to make a module that the players can see, I need to make this a library module (please correct me if I'm wrong) - I guess a 'common' module.

For the GM's part of the set I decided to make an adventure module (comprising numerous Story Groups, Story Entries, Maps and NPCs) because I'm more comfortable working within FGII than coding XML.

The Question: How can I link entries in the library module with entries from the adventure module and vice versa?

Would it be easier to do this if the GM's part was also a library module?

And in a related manner: I have already created a library modules with the spells for my campaign based on the code of the d20 spell module. My player with a full license has no problem viewing the module but for my player with a lite license it doesn't show up. I have tried renaming the module from 'client' to 'common' but this didn't help. What am I doing wrong?

Link to the (unfinished) module: Book of Air (https://rapidshare.de/files/40644087/L5RBookOfAir.mod.html)

Doswelk
October 10th, 2008, 12:04
This can be done the only issue is that if the GM (or player) has not got all the modules open then they will get an error message in the chat window...

In the current ruleset I am doing in the player module the definition.xml looks like this:

<root version="2.2">
<name>Slipstream Player</name>
<author>Digital Adventures 2008</author>
<ruleset>SavageWorlds</ruleset>
</root>
Now the important part here is the <name> entry, when I want to create a link e.g. to an NPC in the npc section of the player's guide (I keep them in the player's section but hidden so they can be shared out to players as allies if needed), I put the following code:

link class="npc" recordname="npcs.robotman@Slipstream Player">

The key part being "@Slipstream Player", this should point it to the link in that module...

Now I've never tried it in a story but I imagine all I would need to do to link to something in a module is drag the link like normal....

Failing that I suspect you would need to manually edit the db.xml file in the campaign folder.

Hope this helps

<disclaimer - I am at my work PC and thus unable to test I remembered this correctly>