PDA

View Full Version : About Custom Rule Sets

docplutonium
October 6th, 2008, 15:24
Hey All...

If I use a custom Ruleset, if I were to send that ruleset to my players ahead of time, it would avoid them downloading it at connection.

Where would the players place the ruleset ?

I was playing around connecting to myself and the first time I connected the download of the new ruleset happened but not subsequent times, but I could not figure out where the uploaded ruleset was stored for the client.

Maybe I am just blind.

So when a player connects and downloads a DM's ruleset... Just where does the program store it?

I am hoping to give my players the latest ruleset ahead of time so that we can avoid the downloads at the beginning of the session.

Thanks
Doc

joeru
October 6th, 2008, 15:43
The ruleset is cached in the cache/[campaign name] subdirectory of FG's Application Data directory as the campaign.dat file.

Distributing the non-cached ruleset in advance does not prevent the transfer at the beginning of the first session. I'm not certain whether launching a second instance of FG and joining as a player locally, then distributing the cached ruleset created by that would.

joshuha
October 6th, 2008, 17:46
I'm not certain whether launching a second instance of FG and joining as a player locally, then distributing the cached ruleset created by that would.

This does work and I have used that method in the past.

Griogre
October 6th, 2008, 20:32
As have I. Naturally you also need to have what's in the cache match the latest version of the ruleset you are using. Also some have reported the cache becoming corrupt in the past, so before you distribute the file, I would suggest the host delete the cache for that campaign on his computer and then start a second instance to make sure he has the latest version of the ruleset in his cache file.